PDA

View Full Version : metalbestos through roof question

MapleME
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I currently have a 6" interior diameter stack metalbestos pipe through the roof which is surrounded by a roof jack (that has about a 1-2" clearance all the way around) and a storm collar.

I need to deconstruct the current set up as Im switching to 8" ID stack. I was on the selkirk website looking at a 8" stack roof jack and noticed they sell rubber boots, in place of using a metal roof jack and you just use a storm collar over that. Kinda like what you would use on a **** stack, but with the addition of a storm collar.

I never actually have touched metalbestos pipe when running the evap, but is it actually cool enough to have a rubber boot around it??

I don't know what code is here- but we are talking about a difference of hundreds of dollars.

Alternatively, the new stack may actually fit through the existing roof jack, but would touch the sides and not have the 1-2" clearance as it has now. Is that ok?

gmcooper
11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
We install a lot of metal roofing in our business and use high temp boots for metalbestos chimneys. They are silicon based and are designed to handle much more heat than what would transfer through a metalbestos pipe. They are not cheap. Last winter I bought a 12" stainless roof jack from A&A Metal Shop for $55.00.

MapleME
11-29-2011, 07:05 PM
GM I sent you a PM

briansickler
11-30-2011, 06:03 AM
I currently have a 6" interior diameter stack metalbestos pipe through the roof which is surrounded by a roof jack (that has about a 1-2" clearance all the way around)

Alternatively, the new stack may actually fit through the existing roof jack, but would touch the sides and not have the 1-2" clearance as it has now. Is that ok?

You need 2" of clearance all the way around (from anything combustable). You may be o.k. if it's close to the metal roffing....but not anything wood (framing, roof boards, plywood etc.)

SadSams
11-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Its not ok to use the same roof jack. Just get the 8'' galvanized one. Its cheap. Here in Minnesota, Metalbestos B-vent is one of the brands we use in the heating business. Our code is 1'' to combustables. With that said, I'm talking natural gas, LP, oil. When it comes to wood fired, clearances may be greater, and i'll bet they are. It gets darn hot up near the roof jack. For me, I cut the hole as wide as the inside of the roof jack. Better safe than sorry, right.