PDA

View Full Version : retapping

doocat
03-01-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm sure this topic has been visited but I was intereted in everyone's opinion on retapping holes.
If the holes are frozen for an extentded period of time does bacteria start in them or not?
What methods has everyone tried for retapping? And how how successful has it been?

JohnM
03-01-2006, 07:56 AM
It has helped me some in the past after warm weather to go a little deeper when flow slows. I usually drill first time about 1" deep.

katmike
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
I was curious as to anyone's success in starting with a 5/16 hole and later in the season reaming it to 7/16. Seems like this would do the trick but I know it's unrealistic for a large operation.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
In my opinion, it is not worth it! :?

markcasper
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Use of the new adaptors and putting a new something or other in the taphole will help keep the holes running longer-no need to ream or re-tap. Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
One thing to remember is a tree is only going to give so much sap. When it's done, let it rest and heal healthy for next year. :?

brookledge
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I was told that some of the producers that tapped in the fall time used 7/16 taps with 5/16 reducers on them. In the fall tap with 5/16 then remove and re-tap the same hole to 7/16 in the spring.
I have not seen any one locally trying that though. As far as the holes drying up that is why the majority of producers don't jump on the January thaws cause it's a gamble some times it pays other times it doesn't
Keith

VA maple guy
03-02-2006, 02:31 AM
I retaped my red and Norway maple trees that are on buckets today. I counted the seconds between drops before and after. It took about one to two seconds off each drop after they hade been retaped. I start with a 27/64 drill bit and retap with a 7/16. I don't retap my trees that are on tubing because it dose not seem to make much difference.
Gerry

markcasper
03-02-2006, 06:01 AM
works if you only have a 100 or 200, but thousands would probably cost more than its worth. For people that have enough trees and not enough time this is what i do. I tap all my tubing first and that takes close to a week by myself. If i get a cold snap or lull, I'll tap bags and have even tapped some 3 weeks after the first ones. When the south tubing sap has gone bad, usually i get 3-4 more gatherings off the bags and the quality is still not bad. Mark

maplehound
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Gerry,
After retapping your holes ran faster but what about 2 says later? My experience (with tubbing) has always been that it helped for a couple days then it went back to what it was or worse. NOt sure if your results would be the same but I am intersted to know.
Ron

mountainvan
03-02-2006, 05:20 PM
as far as i'm concerned retapping is always a bad idea. back in the stoneage when bleach was ok as a taphole sanitizer, I reamed the holes with the same size bit(can't see how you could go from5/16-7/16 and get a clean round hole) and then spray the spile with 5% bleach put it back in the tree and get another 2 weeks. If I'm up to it I may go back and resanitize my spiles with alcohol so I don't have to ream. I almost always end up having a week of perfect weather after a warm spell, make b but it's always paid off.

VA maple guy
03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Ron, last year i retaped my reds and they ran pretty good until the end of the season, i think it was about a week. This year i retaped the same trees, i should have done it a week sooner. All my trees shut down at about the same time, just a few days after i retaped.
Gerry

maplehound
03-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Gerry,
So if they all shut down only a week after retapping then do you think it was worth it. I myself have retapped in the past but I was never real happy with the results. So are you happy or at least satisfied with the results?
Ron

VA maple guy
03-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Ron,

Most of my reds don't produce a whole lot of sap. I made only 15 gallons of syrup this year on 160 taps, 2/3 of it came fron the 40 taps on sugars and 15 on Norways . All of the reds i retapped are are within walking distance of my house. If retapping these trees will add just one gallon of syrup, i'ts worth it. I don't think it helped to much this year because i retapped to late.
Gerry