PDA

View Full Version : price for taps?

rossibuilders@gmail.com
11-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I was thinking of approaching an up hill neighbor for permission to lease some trees. Any idea what would be a fair price to offer. per tap.

waysidemaple
11-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Will you be running a gravity setup or vacuum? I think vacuum setups are around .75 cents to a dollar a tap and gravity are around .50 cents a tap. Not positive on that but its in the ball park I believe.

shane hickey
11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
It shouldn't matter esther its vacume or buckets a tap is a tap usually 60 cents if you can get a 5 yearcontractthe prize usually goes up to 80 to 90 cents. Shane

Potters3
11-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Around here in VT it is more like $1.00 / tap

DrTimPerkins
11-29-2011, 07:53 AM
It shouldn't matter esther its vacume or buckets a tap is a tap usually 60 cents if you can get a 5 yearcontractthe prize usually goes up to 80 to 90 cents. Shane

If it didn't matter, than nobody would use vacuum. The reason more is paid for taps on vacuum is that the sap yield is considerably higher (often double or more) with vacuum than with gravity. Therefore producers can (if they choose), likely afford to pay a bit more for taps on vacuum.

Thad Blaisdell
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I am looking at buying another parcel of land that is loaded with maple.... the land adjacent to it is all maple as well, I will pay 2.00 per tap to get those if I can get them with the same system.

northwoods_forestry
11-30-2011, 06:17 AM
If your talking up to a couple hundred taps you may want to try offering syrup rather than cash. I pay a quart/25 taps which comes out to 72 cents/tap (I retail quarts at $18). I think syrup in lieu of cash gets a better buy in from the landowner and makes them more of a participant in the operation.

rossibuilders@gmail.com
11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
this land owner/ neighbor has his own sugar op on land that is not accessable to the trees up hill of me ( across a river and over the hill) so at least he is into the idea. thanks for your help

red maples
12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
If your talking up to a couple hundred taps you may want to try offering syrup rather than cash. I pay a quart/25 taps which comes out to 72 cents/tap (I retail quarts at $18). I think syrup in lieu of cash gets a better buy in from the landowner and makes them more of a participant in the operation.

Yes I do the same. Although I am very open with my neighbors about how much I make and if its a good year I might throw in a little extra like this past year I threw in an extra pint (its only 30 taps). no written agreement but they like the syrup and it a good discussion point when people come over they even asked my to leave up the tubing so people can see it.