PDA

View Full Version : March Journal

sweetwoodmaple
03-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Well, they weatherman changed his tune again, at least for NW PA.

Suppose to get great temps the next two days, but now only mid to upper 30's, then back down for who knows how long. A few days ago, they were predicting almost 50!

Are we going to be making syrup in May this year? 8O

mapleman3
03-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Sweetwood you beat me to it, thought this morning I'll go on and start the March Journal... :wink: Today is ourkickoff dat, I'll tap mostly all , and I picked up another 50+ Taps, so that should put me back up over 300, I'll do a final count this weekend after maybe getting a few more... The goal this year is 100 gals... of good stuff not commercial included.. I actually have never boiled into the buddy season, always have gotten burnt out by then. I was supposed to tap last weekend but with the cold weather we are having I figured it was a waste of time... BRING ON THE 40's BABY

Dave Y
03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Brian,
Patience, my friend. Sit back, relax, pat your kids on the head, your wife on the back side and relax. the sap will run when it runs. No amount of fretting will make it come any quicker. This is how it is when you are dealing with mother nature. So relax now because when it does come there won't be time. It is what it is.

Brad W Wi
03-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Sweetwoodmaple, In Wisc. The weatherman is the same. They get you worked up looking foward to tapping and then Ma Nature comes along with a kick in the lower end. Was to be in the 40's, now we'll be lucky if it's much above freezing. At least everything is in place.

lew
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Sometimes you have to look at these cold speels as a blessing in disguise. I recently picked up a new woods ( by recent I mean 3 weeks ago) and I didn't realize how large it was until I started hangin tubing in it. This cold snap gave me enough time to hang 700 taps with 2400 feet of mainline and we won't miss the "first run". I thought I'd be happy to get 1/2 a season out these new trees. This cold spell worked for me.

maple flats
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Same here. Weatherman wrong again. Now the first above freezing forcast is next week. Gives me more time to catch up on my preparations. If it keeps getting set back til June i might be ready.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2006, 08:01 PM
March 1 in Albion ( NW PA ) found me shaking my head as I dumped bucket full after bucket full of frozen sap. We gathered last Thursday and some how were so busy Friday and Saturday that I missed a good run. Anyway that's the way it goes some days. What I think happened was that we gathered starting at 3:30 and finished about 7:30 ( yea with lights on the heads). The sap must have continued to run into the night even though a cold spell was setting in.

The buckets are empty and I did not see any that were split. I hate dumping ICE! Took me about 4 hours by myself. Really was a beautiful day and great to be outside and not at work.

I was planning to gather Thursday but not sure it will run much. The sky is clear as a bell at 9:00.

Chris

Parker
03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Why did you dump the Ice?? It is frozen sap.....BOIL IT......One year I helped on a bush in northern Vermont,,I showed up as a cold front rolled in,, froze all the sap in the buckets (2000 of them),,we took the sap tank off the gathering sled and put high sides on it,,stacked all the ice on the sled and did a chain gang into the evap,,,

Sugarmaker
03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Parker,
I listened to the weather man and they said it was going to run today so I wanted to have room for a run that didn't happen. I just don't have a good means and man power to handle that much ice.
Chris

Dropflue
03-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Well Old Man Winter pulled a fast one on us yesterday. Dropped 8-10-inches of snow. But thats all going to change next week. Forcasting 40's & 50's by next Friday. Get ready, the season is going to start!

brookledge
03-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Well with the warm weather I lost fancy grade and now making Medium.
Started boiling on the 7th and have made .1 gallons per tap so far
Keith

brookledge
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
With the 15 day forecast looking pretty good I may have a decent year after all. I started boiling on 3-7 and have boiled every day since. My worst day was a half gallon per tap and a few days at a gal per tap. I've made 96 gallons on 710 taps in 8 days. With the warm weather the last two days my grade has droped to DkA.
Keith

mapleman3
03-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Keith, did you see Bascoms is looking for dark and B,C. you can always send some to him :wink: , I'm hoping with the weather the way it looks coming up that we go back up a grade!, probably take a few days for the trees to aclimate, but then it should pour out .... Hopefully
I'v also done pretty good, made 1/2 of what I made last year in just 8 days also....Bring on the Sap !!

syrupmaker
03-15-2006, 10:57 AM
:cry: :cry:

mapleman3
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Don't look so glum Rick, look on the brightside, you'll be sitting in a deck chair on a cruise in no time right???

mapleman3
03-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Well I just got a call from My wife, she checked buckets and NADA...I guess this cold and wind shut things right down, it may be a day or so before it starts up again... I guess that gives me time to recoup... have to clean the barn and get ready for Saturday's scout pancake breakfast anyway!!

Mike
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey Jim, Fired the Ole girl up monday....made 23 gals....Looks fancy but will tell after I run it thru the filter press.......Sounds like your off to a good start....Ive made 1/3 of last years crop...in only 14 hrs....Looks like aa RO within a year or so, with the price of oil....Hope you make a bunch this year.........Later.......Mike

brookledge
03-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Get ready for another ride. Weather looks great for the next two weeks. Could end up with a record year :D :D
Keith

mapleman3
03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
looking forward to it, had a break today, too cold for sap, tomorrow though 8O :wink:

Sugarmaker
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
We are near the 80 gallon mark for the season. Couple more runs and we will be done We have two more rows of pallet wood which makes about 10 gallon per stack. Made 15 gallons of B that we will use for coated nuts and Maple mustard. Not going to sell any bulk this year. We have made all the grades and hope to get back to Medium when the weather warms next week?

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Just made it to a quart per tap. Still have a ways to go before it will be a record year for me. My record is .41 gal per tap.
Keith

WF MASON
03-24-2006, 03:47 AM
Talked to a guy in Ohio yesterday , he said the warm week in January when the sap ran , he belives gave them a crappy season , about the same as last year. Looks like the northeast might be in the same boat.

mapleman3
03-25-2006, 02:37 PM
sitting here boiling .. it's around 45+deg out with sun and I'm watching the Busch race on Fox and it's getting SNOWED OUT... in BRISTOL TENN, CAn You Believe it!!! 8O 8O 8O The race is stopped and the pit crews are having snowball fights.... :lol:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-25-2006, 06:31 PM
post edited

John Burton
03-25-2006, 11:07 PM
kevin you spot on with your assment now if we colud only extend tap hole life from jan 1 throuugh april 15 we'ed be all set.

John Burton
03-25-2006, 11:08 PM
kevin welcome home from eithopia

brookledge
03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Kevin
Remember "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"
If you burn your pans its your own fault
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-27-2006, 09:47 PM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-28-2006, 09:38 AM
post edited

sweetwoodmaple
03-28-2006, 10:44 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Burnt the woods down, but at least I got those tap holes germ free!!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
post edited

mapleman3
03-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Hope you start feeling better Kevin... you getting back on the bike?, I'm hoping to Ride to work tomorrow... 70's during the day... high 30's to 40 in the morning.. looking forward to it!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
post edited

mapleman3
03-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Thats Good Kevin, hate to see someone not able to ride... This morning I went to go down the cellar stairs and wammo, slipped on something on the stairs.. a glove or hat or something, went down the stairs on my but... that didn't hurt, what hurt is my thumb, jambed it back a bit... just before I'm going out to get on the bike.. hurt a bit while clutching.. but still rode the 35min ride to work... **** thing is sore as HE$%

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Kevin,

Waiting on your tubing wisdom and thanks in advance. :)

mapleman3
04-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Pulled most of the taps today, will pull the taps in the woods next weekend when I clean the tubing... funny some sap in warm sun areas was yellow and slimy, some other areas not much sun still clear, still wouldn't boil it though :wink: