PDA

View Full Version : November Journal

syrupmaker
11-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Well once again mapleman is late with his duty,so i'll start November out.Since he is at the seminar with the rest of the East Coast i can cut him some slack though .Not much going on at our shack over this way, just moved some wood and split a couple more cord.Lots of squirrles this year running back and forth storing nuts and corn more than usuall i think, whats that saying about this coming winter? Hopefully they are wrong, there only dumb squirrels,how much can they know anyhow. :?

For those that have gotten there deer congrates
for those yet to succeed good luck,i'm still in the latter stage,seens lots though.

Rick

Russell Lampron
11-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Rick

Just got back from the tubing seminar. Alot of people from this website
were there. Glen has an impressive set up there and knows alot about
sugaring. Besides talking about tubing we also talked about tapping and
tree management. I think the other members will agree that it was very
informative and worth the trip.

Russ

Algier 2x6
Preheater steamhood

mapleman3
11-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Well thanks Rick for again getting it going, yes the whole east coast was there today. picked up 2000 ft of lamb rigid tubing and 500' of 3/4 mainline, and mainline fittings. they had some good prices, now back into the woods tomorrow to get the mainline hung.... will still be somewhat warm out sooo BUG SPRAY FOR THE &^$$%* TICKS!!!.

Just put together 100 droplines in front of the TV... it doesn't get any better than that!!!

jmattice
11-02-2003, 08:47 AM
The new evaporator arrived yesterday! Working on setup this morning. Also got all of my fittings and tubing. I'd like to get most of that up before it snows.
John
3x8 raised flue, oil fired

mapleman3
11-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Well got the main line trail cleared and hung the wire and mainline... 500ft thats pretty tough to get the wire tight.. pulled on it with my truck!! then got the tightener on it, attached it side to side on some trees and voila!! nice n tight. now I'll have to thin alot more for the tubing. so many little hemlocks that have to go down, still alot of work.

Mike
11-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Jim, Are you going to let up on the tension on the wire when your done or are you going to keep it tight???????

Mike
11-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Jim, Are you going to let up on the tension on the wire when your done or are you going to keep it tight???????

mapleman3
11-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Mike, I think I'll keep it tight... it should hold up, the few setups I've looked at so far, they seem to keep em tight, even at the seminar they had it tight, I'm sure I will need to retighten by the time tapping comes around, but for now I'll leave it.

syrupmaker
11-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Jim.... you might want to let them have some slack over the winter months just incase any big limbs fall acrossed your line. :cry: Its easier to cut up the limb than it is to try and splice the wire back together.Just leave the side pullwires attached to the tree and reattach them to the main lines before you tap.

Rick

Mike
11-05-2003, 06:48 PM
:D :D ......Got my new rig delivered today!!!!!! It sure is pretty!! And big.....A lot less room in the ole sugar house......Ill send some pices as soon as i get it put together.......Mike.....Algier 3x10 Oil Fired Preheater Hood.... 8)

mapleman3
11-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Good for you Mike!!! Congrats!!!!did they deliver all the way up that muddy road?so now the real fun starts!!! time for all the hookups, and gotta get that tubing done ;) Congrats again!!!

Mike
11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Jim, Thanks...It wasnt that bad.had 3 loads of gravel delivered last week....I need 2 more loads to reach the sugar house...then it will be no problem driving to it........ :lol: ......Thanks again.Mike.....

mapleman3
11-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Sounds good Mike!!
Ok getting thrifty here, working on welding up my own dropline installing tool, 2 vise grips and the rest of the metal and 2 short tubes(for the tubing grips) all together no more that $25 so I looked at a few designs and came up with ione I think will work, it won't have the cutter but should work fine.now just have to make it, maybe tonight I'll start on it. I figure I'll save $100 on it. it's not worth buying the thing if I only have 250 to do, and maybe repairs here and there.

Al
11-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Well picked up my joist hangers for my lean-too today. Hopefully will get it done this weekend and the evaporator in the sugar house with the pipe up also. Helps coming this weekend so need to but them to work!! :lol:
We feed well here. Just got a huge pork roast. Throw some maple syrup and raisins on it. Throw it in the oven with potato's carrots and onions. Boy is that good!!!!!!!! Usually have some cold beer also for the volunters but these guys drink lemonade and pepsi. Supposed to be 30 degrees here on Saturday.
You all have a good weekend,

Russell Lampron
11-07-2003, 05:51 AM
It looks like we might get 2 good days of weather this weekend for a
change. Got to get into the woods and make the repairs and upgrades to
the tubing. Got alot of good ideas at the seminar last weekend. The
evaporator is all cleaned and repainted and the wood shed is full. Still
waiting for the roof jack and stack cover I ordered to come in. Isn't it
amazing how much time we spend before and after sugaring season
doing things related to sugaring.

Russ

Algier 2x6
Preheater steamhood

Mike
11-07-2003, 06:39 AM
I have a question for the VT sugarers!!!! I was told yesterday you can buy fuel oil at a cheaper price if you tell them its for a sugar house!!! Anyone know anything about this?? I know you can get diesel fuel cheaper if its for Farm use..... Thanks....Mike

11-07-2003, 07:03 AM
Mike,
That would really be nice!! I'll have to check into it here in NY.

John

Brian
11-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Yes you can!! I know it ag-fuel or off road fuel, it is for any ag use. It usually run .10 to .20 cents a gallon cheaper than home heating oil. Sometimes if you buy in alot advance or have them make a big delivery they can do a little better on the price.

Brian

Mike
11-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Brian, Thats true for diesiel fuel but what about fuel oil for sugaring???

Brian
11-08-2003, 08:21 PM
mike
Diesel fuel and heating oil are about the same thing. The main diff is the color of the oil. The color of the oil tells people if it is taxable or not. Big trucks get into trouble with dot [dept of transportation] if they get caught with non taxable fuel in their tanks.
Kerosene can be used for heat along with heating oil or diesel fuel. but kerosene can not run a diesel motor because it will burn the motor up. The heating oil or diesel fuel will gel if it gets below zero (estimated), but kerosene will not gel below zero, I have my fuel mixed for the house 50/50, (half kerosene and half diesel fuel) so it won't gel in the winter because my tank is outside. For my sugaring arch, I just run straight heating oil or #2 oil. The oil guy I buy my oil from said the price for sugaring is 1.05 a gallion, the house oil was 1.25 a gallion.

Brian

Mike
11-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Brian, Thanks for the info......... AL, My wife bought the 350 gall S/S tank at the auction for $50.........Ill probally put in at the end of one of my pipe lines for a holding tank...... :D ...........Jim you should of been there.... 8)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-10-2003, 06:57 AM
Guys,

For future reference, you should buy all the oil you will need for the upcoming sugaring season in June or July at the latest. Normally, it is a lot cheaper then because the closer you get to cold weather, the more the price increases.

I was talking to Bruce Bascom a few months ago and he told me the past few years they had been paying around $ .60 a gallon and last year it went up to over a $ 1.00. Of course, they buy it by the tractor trailer load and he said the larger the quanity, they cheaper they get it.

mapleman3
11-10-2003, 08:43 AM
What a cold weekend, didn't get any Maple preparing done at all, had to insulate the chicken coop and put the windows in, I'm selling the eggs now to the public so I don't want production to go down due to cold weather in the coop. my customers are asking for Syrup too, too bad I don't have any left :cry:
At this temp(30's and 40's) how tough is it running the rigid tubing,aside from the connections? can you still get it tight? at what temp should I not run tubing, or is that just depending on your self comfort level :wink:

Al
11-10-2003, 10:15 AM
The sugar house is done for this year!!!! :lol: :lol: Going to do the lean to next spring since the wood is already under cover. Got the windows in, the evaporator in leveled and the stack up. Looks good to me.
Know what you mean about cold. I worked all day Saturday on the sugar house and it was 18 degrees w/o the windchill.
Have a nice day

forester1
11-10-2003, 05:54 PM
I kept warm this weekend by cutting wood. I dropped two big old beech right where I aimed and cut them up. To finish up I thought I would cut a balsam fir for posts to hold up my head tank. I miscalculated and pinched the saw. I got out my old saw which I kept for a backup and fired it up. The new chain flew off the new bar and sprocket. When I took it apart I saw the crankshaft was broken, likely by the clown that put on the new bar and sprocket last year, who's now out of business. :x :x I should have checked it back then. Anyway I got my good saw out with an ax but ruined the butt log for a post.

Have we talked saws yet? I like my Husquevarna 359. Huskys around here outnumber all other makes by about 10 to 1 but some fans of Stihl and Jonsereds are here too. My old Jonsered 49sp cut a lot of wood but didn't have the power or modern features like the decompression button like my Husky. Now it doesn't have a crankshaft.

mapleman3
11-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Jerry, this year I bought a husky, the rancher, I almost waited for the 359(out of stock at my dealer).. maybe I should have? But all the same I am extreamly happy with my husky, always starts, more than enough power for me(right now) we'll see if i stay wood for the evap, that and the house I could be looking for 12 cord + a year, if I go oil, then I'm around 7-8 for the house.
The big thing now is wanting a splitter that I can't afford :( I have thought of getting an electric for a few years .. sell that and get a good gas powered... who knows

themapleking
11-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Jim , No problem running your tubing in the cold. I did mine last year in -20 below wind chill. It gets real stiff at those temps. These temps wont affect it much. Hay I still have syrup left maybe we can make a chicken & egg trade. :wink: Too bad my friend kids have chickens. I have eggs comeing out of my ears.

forester1
11-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Jim,
I almost bought a Rancher. I went with a 359 because a friend wanted that one so we went around to all the dealers to see if we could get a break if we bought two together. We ended up $10 off plus an extra chain. Not a big price break but I really like the saw. The dealer said he sells a lot of ranchers.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Jerry,

I grew up on a farm and have spent most of my life on a farm and cuts I think hundreds of truckloads of wood and most of it with saws that were not very good since we couldn't afford much. This past Feb, my wife bought me a Stihl 310 for my b-day. I have used different sizes of huskies in the past and they are great saws but I wouldn't trade the Stihl for any Husky. Either way, you will be happy with either one.

My stihl is 59 cc and a has just over 4hp. It has some really nice features I have never seen one a saw. It got it for around $ 350.00 plus a really nice case for only $ 10.00 with the purchase of a saw. I got my saw with an 18" bar and chain which was $ 10.00 extra. You can get it in a 16", 18", or 20" bar.

Good luck with your saw buying. When I get this Stihl cranking, I can cut up a cord of wood in about 30 +/- minutes!

forester1
11-11-2003, 06:04 PM
I think Huskys sell more here because there are so many finns and swedes. :wink:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Jerry,

There are more Huskies sold down here also because Lowes and everyone else carries them whereas Stihl is only sold at smaller dealers that are Stihl approved and service what they sell.

Russell Lampron
11-12-2003, 06:00 AM
I have been using Stihl chainsaws for about 30 years. I have had very
good luck with them. I bought the one I now use as a back up saw 23
years ago. It is an 031 with a 20 inch bar. Because of back problems I
bought an 026 Pro with an 18 inch bar 3 years ago. I cut close to 10 cords
of wood a year to heat my house and for the sugarhouse. Stihl and Husky
are both very popular around here and you won't go wrong buying either
one.

Russ

Algier 2x6
Preheater steamhood
Stihl 031 and 026
Stihl FS85 Weed whacker/Brush saw

forester1
11-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Lobstafari, My old jonsered was made when they were different from huskys. You are right, now they are the same company and are the same saws with identical features. It's funny how they are different dealers though. Brandon, around here all the good saws are sold by independent small dealers. No Lowes or home depot here. There are 4 saw shops selling Huskys within 20 miles and only 1 stihl and 2 jonsered dealers in the same area.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Jerry,

That's funny because down here, everyone but Walmart sells Huskies. My guess is that they will be next. It seems that when these companies that have made high quality products for years that the quality starts decreasing when they start selling them in the larger retailers. Maybe not, but most other products have been that way.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
My brother has a 046 Stihl which all the series that start with a "0" are the professional series. There are tons of timber cutters down here and all the ones I have ever seen use the stihl professional series. My saw is a 310 and side by side with the 046 professional series, it will cut nearly as good and it about half the price or less than half.

The saws that don't start with a "0" in the model number are the home and garden series or something like that and are a ton cheaper than the professional series. The professional series are made tougher, but for what we use them for, the regular series would last most of us forever. The dealers down here tell me that sometimes the timber cutters will forget where they laid their saw and run over them with a 10 or 12 ton log skidder and after about $ 150.00 dollars in repairs, they are as good as new. It sounds hard to believe, but I guess that's why the professional series cost so much. :D

mapleman3
11-12-2003, 10:26 AM
hopefully they don't run over their lunches or co workers as well ;)

forester1
11-12-2003, 02:00 PM
I've been out west several times on firefighting details and they mostly use Stihls everywhere from California to Montana and Idaho to Nevada. They seem to use Huskies more in Oregon and Washington where the big timber is with the long 4 and 5 foot bars.

syrupmaker
11-12-2003, 06:48 PM
I asked our local dealer (school budy that i do generators for) what he thought about different saws and he showed me a pile of saws,weed eaters and leaf blowers that people brought in for repairs.Most everything in the pile he claimed was bought at Home Depot,Wal-mart,Lowes,or any other local hardware store.They're in the pile, do to parts availability.

Granted most were Echo,Homelite and Poulan but he claims that these are considered throw away units.He is a Husky,Homelite and Stihl dealer and says that the biggest problems he sees is carb problems, from sitting. He claims that the units he sells you can get rebuild kits for the carbs,but the ones from the above mentioned stores usually have a fixed jet carb and you have to buy a complete carb.
Those are darn close to 1/2 a new saw. Maybe it's a sales pitch but it sounded good.

Like anything else you save a little here and spend a little more there.

Rick
Homemade arch
Stainless flat pans
Stihl chain saw
Rigged De LAval vac pump
and releaser
And a lot of other dumb ideas
BUT NO CHICKENS :wink:

mapleman3
11-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Rick , keep an eye out for the UPS guy he may have a chicken delivery for ya soon;) :) hehe

Mike
11-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Rick, I have a question for you.....I have a 4400 watt generator, is it big enough to run my burner. I have a carland 601 single nozzle.And can i run some lights as well.....Thanks for any info you can give me...... Mike.....

syrupmaker
11-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Mike,take a look at the motor on your burner and see what the amperage is on the nameplate.Take the amperage of the motor and x's that by the voltage.This will equal the watts to run that motor.Starting the motor requires a bit more for the initial kick to get it going,but that is only for a split second.All in all, add your motor starting wattage and what ever wattage lights your using together and see what total you come up with.

Example: motor nameplate is 5 amps
5 amps x's 120 volts = 600 watts
600 watts x's 3(for motor starting) = 1800
1800 + (7) 100 watt light bulbs = 2500watts
4400 total - 2500 = 1900 left over
nice total for reserve power
heck you got room for the computer,printer and satalite TV

Hope this helps, if you need more help drop me a line at

SYRUPMAKR@AOL.COM

Rick

michaelh05478
11-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Rick, Thanks for the info.......I'll check it out.

michaelh05478
11-18-2003, 06:56 AM
For all you sap heads who have a local newspaper you may want to check out the free section in the classifieds!!!!!!! The other day there was a FREE 350 GAL SS bulk tank in the paper!!!!!!! I missed it by a few hours.... :(

mapleman3
11-18-2003, 07:18 AM
thats rotten luck Mike :( better luck next time.... hey did you forget your password again??? ;)

mapleman3
11-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Looks like it's going to be a gorgeous weekend here in MA. so I bought all my wood to build my trusses. so this weekend I will rip the old roof off the sugarhouse and get started finally on the new one and new coupla. I will also pull the evap out so I can do some work inside.... hehe took this coming monday off so I can have 2 long weekends in a row!!!

Wish me luck so I can get alot done!! the snow is going to fly soon.

Russell Lampron
11-22-2003, 05:39 AM
Jim,

I wish I wasn't so busy getting my fall chores done. I would come down to
Belchertown and give you a hand with that roof. Hope the weather is as
nice as predicted so you can get alot done.

Russ

Algier 2x6
Preheater steamhood
Stihl chainsaws
1930 Model AA Ford doodlebug tractor
and no chickens!

mapleman3
11-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Thanks Russ, much apreciated :)
it's 7 am now and getting ready to go out and start, hoping the frost burns off fast today...

I'm upset I can't take any digitals...dummy me somehow lost the camera
:(

mapleman3
11-22-2003, 01:58 PM
trusses are built, 12 of them, the sugarhouse is 12 x 22 , now I'm ripping the roof of.. hoo boy lots of shingles on it good thing I'm doing it too, lots of the roof is rotted don't know how much longer it would have lasted. I'm going to take some pics with regular film(whats that? )

Mike
11-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Jim, Are you trying to expand to my size???...lol....Sounds like your going to do it right by tearing off the old roof...Im almost done.....additions are done and the rig is almost set up....have to work on my preheater hood, have to come up with a pully system....If anyone has a preheater hood i have a question, on my front syrup pan do i just hang it with chains or do i bolt it on to the back hood and still use chains.... :?: :?: ......Jim, send me a email with your mailing address and ill send you the plug for your rig...I FOUND IT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!! Oh ya you deer hunters, I got a 124 lbs spike yesterday....... :D ..........now i can finish up my sugar house chores.................................Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving this comming week.........I have to work that day... :( .....

themapleking
11-22-2003, 08:57 PM
The guy who built my two hoods rivited them together to make it one complete hood. It's a 3x8 with 2 12" steam stacks, and a self built preheater.

mapleman3
11-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Mike, the sugarhouse is that size already, but sure will look bigger with the new , higher pitch metal roof and coupla. I got all of the old shingles off by night fall, tomorrow I hope to have all the old rafters and lumber off and the new trusses on, and get started on the coupla, hope to get some metal on by Mon.

Great on the plug, I will email you, and congrats on the Spike horn. your having pretty good luck so far!!

mapleman3
11-23-2003, 05:14 PM
What a day, ripped the old roof off, wish I had ordered a dumpster... all the wood will go into making syrup, talk about recycling.
Got the trusses up and most of the purlins. I'll go pick up the metal roofing first thing in the morning and get working on the coupla frame so I can get the roof on before it rains tomorrow night :)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Jim,

Hey buddy, you had better hurry up and find the digital camera as we can't wait to see photos!
:x

mapleman3
11-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah I know.. I'll have to borrow the one from work.. just wish I knew where mine went :(

The Roof is done and coupla is on, i just have toput the wood siding and doors on the coupla, and front and back gable end wood siding on the shack. I kinda have plastic covering the openings due to rain tonight.

thats about it till next weekend

boy that roof sure is slippery at that pitch :o

syrupmaker
11-26-2003, 08:56 PM
HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL :!:

MAY YOU ALL HAVE TO LOOSEN THE BELT A KNOTCH OR TWO :P

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT HOLIDAY 8)

Rick

mapleman3
11-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Rick and all the Family.... and to all the Traders... enjoy the feast Gobble Gobble!!!

mapleman3
11-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Had a great Thanksgiving.. also got to take some pics...

here is the link to the new pics of the new roof

http://www.desjardinsmaple.com/Desjardins%20Sugar%20House.htm

Mike
11-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Jim, Your sugar house looks good!!!!!! NICE JOB!!!!! Keep the pics comming.....ill try to send you some of my additions and rig.... 8) .......

Al
11-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Yep Jim nice looking job. I'm in the what to buy next mode. Making my list and checking it twice!!!!! :lol: Scoop,therm.,turkey fry kit for homemade filter system, buckets/taps. Which size taps? Well enough to keep me busy.
Have a nice day!!!!

mapleman3
11-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Al does it ever stop... I still have to finish siding the sugarhouse and make a new door and window in front,finish tubing, get a tank,set up pump from the back bush to the sugarhouse, ect. ect. ect. need 6 more months :)

syrupmaker
11-28-2003, 08:38 AM
WOW Jim!.....That looks great, nice pitch, shouldn't have to worry about snow collecting on it now.A little heat and she awta slide off slicker than snot. No pictures of your helpers on the roof, i find that hard to beleive. You just can't keep kids off a ladder that easy.

Rick

mapleman3
11-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rick
heck you should have saw me trying to put the plastic on the coupla at 8 o clock at night... with frost on the roof hanging on for dear life... yikes
the kids havn't thought of that yet thank god...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Jim,

That looks so nice that there will never be an need for a new sugarhouse. As cheap as vinyl siding is, you could reside for next to nothing. I can't wait to see the finished product.

P.S. You could also chop up the old floor and pour new concrete. Sure is cheaper than a new one. Besides, ten years from now you may want to expand a lot. :D

mapleman3
11-28-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking just that Brandon, I may build new walls around it when I do, I made the trusses wide enough to go out more. but for now she's as is with the exception of siding and new door on the front

Russell Lampron
11-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Jim,

Nice looking roof. Looks it won't be long before you have steam coming
out of the cupola. I haven't figured out how to get the pics of my
sugarhouse from the scanner to the e mail yet. I asked for a digital
camera for christmas which should help in that department. Hope you
get alot done this weekend.

Russ

Algier 2x6
Preheater Steamhood
Stihl chainsaws
1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor

mapleman3
11-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks Russ
yep you should get a Camera, I'll post your pics for you :)

I installed the roof jack and stack today, also on the front of my shack it has 2 hinged doors like an old garage(which it was) well it has a threshold made of wood, rotted wood. so I yanked that out and formed up a new one of concrete. that way I have a nice base for my new front wall and door.

I also cut up all the old wood from the roof and rafters, stacked it up and got another 2/3 cord out of it, lots of nails but thats not a big deal... it will still make syrup!!

Cleaned alot up inside last night, so much debris from ripping off the old roof, heck I even painted the inside of the windows..... talk about motivated!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Jim,

Sounds like the sugarbug is getting worse. I think you really need to see a doctor!

Keep up the great work. It is fun seeing the new pics!

mapleman3
11-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey..Look who's talkin.. your just quiet now cuz your all ready for the season.. ;) :)... I'll take more pics for ya Bud... Can't help it if I'm havin fun !! :)

Brian
11-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Boy oh boy is Glen Goodrich good at running mainline. He uncoils the whole rolls in a field, then drags them up through the woods to where they need to go. My dad is putting tubing up for his sugarwoods, there's probably about 2 or 3 thousand taps there. The conductor line is about 5000 ft. to the road, almost a mile. Glen's helping us do it to make the job go faster. Hopefully we'll have it finished except for the tubing and drop lines by this next weekend.

Brian