PDA

View Full Version : Worcestershire Sauce Barrels: how to get the smell out?

Leo
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi, I bought some food grade blue poly barrels that originally had Worcestershire Sauce in them. I have scrubbed them really clean with dish soap and elbow grease. My problem is that they still smell like Worcestershire.
I am afraid they will make my Sap smell. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell?
Thanks,
Leo

stoweski
11-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Buy some new barrels and you'll get rid of the smell. :D

That and pickle juice must be the worst smelling substance in food grade barrels! Although I picked up a couple of barrels that had sesame oil in them... that was pretty disgusting. I use them for sand on my driveway now. Oh well.

Indiana-Jones
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I read your post to my wife, she suggested lemon juice. I thought that some tomato juice, Dark Eyes vodka and dash of Tabasco would make the smell unnoticeable.

DrTimPerkins
11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Most plastics are somewhat porous. Unlikely you'll ever manage to get a smell that strong out of the barrels.

jmayerl
11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I read your post to my wife, she suggested lemon juice. I thought that some tomato juice, Dark Eyes vodka and dash of Tabasco would make the smell unnoticeable.

I second the making of a 55 gallon bloody mary!

rgmaple
11-23-2011, 05:50 PM
These barrels are going to ruin your maple syrup. They are not worth it.

CBOYER
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
have you ever read the ingredient list of Worcestershire sauce? you even have anchovies in....

Homestead Maple
11-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Maybe if you throw a couple t-bone steaks in them the steaks will suck up the smell! (:

smokeyamber
11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I used barrels that had peppers in them for sap last season. Cleaned and then soaked with a baking soda mix, then left open and in the sun ( they are black) and it improved the situation. BUT they still smell slightly of peppers. My syrup does not though. I would set them aside and if possible leave them open with some baking soda inside. The smell will subside over time. In the meantime you could look for a more mellow flavored barrell :lol:

Leo
11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the input everyone (I especially like the steak and bloody marys ideas). I decided to sell them for rain barrels on Craigs list. I bought 6 different barrels that had been used for cooking oil and then steam cleaned. They look like brand new and they smell wonderfully like nothing!

Airstreamnut
11-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I've been getting my barrels from our local yogurt maker... and they had "Maple flavoring" in them... kind of a perfect situation if you ask me... I've also been visiting my local Dunkin Donuts and their frosting comes in 55 gallon food grade plastic drums... FREE... and I've been hitting my local TOPS and Price Chopper grocery store bakeries and they've been kindly saving and giving me 2-3 and 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids these past few weeks too. Getting all prepared for a great sugaring season!!! Now - it just needs to get cold out!!!

DrTimPerkins
11-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I bought 6 different barrels that had been used for cooking oil and then steam cleaned. They look like brand new and they smell wonderfully like nothing!

As a side benefit you may use less defoamer. :)

OneLegJohn
12-01-2011, 05:59 AM
A quick story that inspires you to spend the extra money. a local bulk syrup buyer has 8-9 plastic (55) gallon drums some one brought in, of syrup that was stored in drums that prior held artificial lemon flavoring. It is all ruined with a lemon-sucker flavor. It breaks your heart. Too many sugarmakers are "penny wise, pound foolish."