PDA

View Full Version : using a hand held eye Johnson level

lastwoodsman
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Or any handheld eye level I guess.
Just finished putting up 800 foot of 3/4 inch of main line. Oh the learning curve. 8 inches of snow by 1 0 clock sat. Finished tying up 3/4 inch line. Also should have read my book I just purchased on tubing. If ground not frozen like a wife ready to be divorced, stick a couple of steaks in the ground and pull tubing off allowing it to spin off as you pull it along the mainline.
But I would like to tell you what I learned over the past few week-ends.
Buy a can of florscent orange paint. Spray the trees every 1 foot for three or four feet at 1 foot levels every 30 yards or so. Step back along the mainline and sight along the wire which I assume you have just put up.You can see with the sight level how the ground runs. A short level of 1 foot or a line level is worthless in the short distances. The paint marks on the trees give you a great reference point while using the eye level, 12.99 at Menards.
This is todays lesson.
Woodsman

SadSams
11-23-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi Terry, we got about the same amout of snow. Came down pretty good for awhile. We couldn't get into the bush yet because of the deer hunters, including me. However, this friday and saturday we will be out there running more lines. I did pick up a sight level. Appears it will work just fine. Also finished the shack that will house the vac. pump and storage tank just before the snow hit. we'll drag that down to the tote road in a couple of weeks or so. Hoping to get everything done and ready by the 1st of the year as John heads south for a couple of months. Its his 1st since retiring. Maybe they'll come back early to help with the last minute details as his wife probbally can't be away from her quilting machine for that long. Hint, hint.

oneoldsap
11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I have a question Lastwoodsman . Whick steaks do you think work best , ribeye , T-bone , or maybe sirloin ?

lastwoodsman
11-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Backstraps over aspen coals ---
Woodsman