PDA

View Full Version : Boiling, Filtering & Bottling - Small Scale

ibby458
02-28-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm new to this site, and have been reading old posts to catch up. Just for fun, I thought I'd detail how we did it and maybe elicit some commennts, suggestions or possibly give some tips for beginners.

WE'll be boiling on a real evaporator this year with bigger production, so I know our old ways will change. Up until this year, we used a 2 1/2 x 5 partitioned flat pan, boiling off 10-20 gph (depending on wood, firing frequency, barometer and who knows what!)

We gathered into a clean SS tank covered by a window screen to catch the coarse stuff. A new submersible pump pushed it thru a homemade Pop on filter into a clean SS storage tank. (All tanks cleaned as soon as they were empty)

From the storage tanks, we used the same pump to pump it into the pan, manually controlled. We'd pump in an inch of sap and boil it, kicking on the pump periodically to keep the desired minimum level. (MY wife is braver than I am. I run it 1/2 " - she kept it around 1/4") The fresh sap always coming into one side make a sort of gradient. The first channel was pure sap, the last one almost syrup.

We'd keep boiling until the hydrometer read 1 or two brix ABOVE syrup level, then kick the sap pump on and drain off the syrup into a wool cone over the SS pail, drawing off about a quart or 2 until the hydrometer read about 3 degress UNDER syrup. Close the drawoff, shut off the pump and fill the fireboox.

Carry the pail (and filter) into the house. Put the filter into a large SS stockpot to finish dripping and pour the syrup thru another filter to a large steam table pan on the stove. Years ago, we came across a bunch of 1/2 inch felt sheets. We boiled rectangles of them good, and they are clothespinned to the top of the steam table pan.

Repeat until done for the day - usually one pan full - 5 gallons finished syrup. We gently squeezed all the filters out into the stockpot and sat it aside to settle. (We would heat and refilter the clear syrup that rose to the top - discarding the nitre on the bottom. We put the clear syrup in with the bulk syrup))

All the filters were rinsed from the backside with hot water, then washed in a clean washer with hot water alone, every night.

We turned on both stove burners under the steam table pan, and brought it back to almost boiling. It's usually just about right density, but we boil off or dilute as necessary to get it right. I dip the syrup out with a clean sauce pan and bottle in sterilized glass or metal cans. Plastic containers we just rinse out with hot water. One secret we discovered is to wipe off any drips on the sealing surface before capping. Reduced our mold problem to ZERO. No more leakers when we invert them, either.

Once the syrup turns dark, we only can a couple gallons of it. The rest gets filtered off the evaporator, reheated and adjusted on the stove (No extra filtering on this grade), and poured into new food grade 5 gallon pails with lids. (Washed and rinsed in HOT water, but not sterilized)

I agree with Bruce Bascom - If I can boil it, and they'll buy it, I make it. Stuff I wouldn't care for myself still brings me $12/gallon, so we gather and boil every drop I can get. I sold enough B & C grade last year to pay for all my jugs and filters. Leaves more profit. (Or less loss, to be more honest)

The buyer tested density, of course. In 4 - 5 gallon pails, 3 were exactly perfect, and 1 was 1/10 brix high. I can live with that.
When he dumped the pails into his drums, there was only a few tablespoons of nitre in the bottom, which he left there.

We put up all our personal syrup in 12 ounce glass handle jugs. I date each cap, and can show potential buyers the color of the syrup in the can they're buying. Obviously, we put up more of each batch in glass of the grades we like, but I do at least 2 bottles of every day's production. The Opaque tin & plastic bottles get dated so I can correlate it to the glass bottlles.

Since we started doing it that way, our syrup is clear as a bell after settling a few days. I think at least some cloudiness is just minute air bubbles from the filling process. We usuall have a tiny layer of niter in the bottom of each bottle, but not enough to cover the whole bottom.

I hope I haven't bored anyone too much, and hopefully passed along a tip or two that can be used.

Sugarmaker
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Wow very detailed operation, and My guess is you should be entering some competitions!
Good Luck this year.
Chris

ibby458
03-04-2006, 06:02 AM
No - I don't think I'd enter any competitions. We're just trying to do the very best job we can with what we have to work with.

Doubling the number of taps this year, and quadrupling our boiling rate is going to mean big changes in procedures. THe very lightest will likely still get triple filtered and canned in the house, but the darker grades will probably get finished in the evaporator, filtered once and put in drums in the sugar shack.

This is going to be a test year for us, and the last year for 400 taps. I'm disabled, and rely on my wife and boys to do the leg work of gathering and carrying wood to the evaporator. (I drive the tractor or ATV, and can boil just fine) Depending on their work/school schedules, and whether or not my labor saving devices work, next year may see us with 100 taps, or 800.

mountainvan
03-04-2006, 10:17 PM
wow. sounds like you have a good system for yourself. only advise I'd give is not to worry about rinsing out the plastic bottles if they're coming right out of the box from the factory. a place I used to work had me boil every bottle and then flip it to drain, mold was common. In 12 years selling syrup, a warning: I started like you and now do this farming stuff fulltime, I've only had one bottle brought back for mold, gave them another no problem, they came back 10 minutes later to buy syrup for their friends and then I found out the syrup was open on the counter for 3 months. no I did'nt ask for the freeby back.

ibby458
03-05-2006, 05:53 AM
I'm sure you're right about the plastic jugs, If you buy a sealed case. We're not big enough for that yet, but just buy them by the each from open cases at the dealers.

Our first year, I assumed everything was steril from the dealer, but virtually every bottle (glass, tin or plastic) molded. We weren't selling any, but every one I gave away, we poured out, heated the syrup & skimmed it, cleaned the bottle (or can) and refilled and resealed it JUST before we gave it away.

The second year, we rinsed all with hot (not boiling) water, and made sure to wipe the sealing surface before we capped it. Every plastic jug was just fine, but once in awhile, a tin or glass container would mold.

The 3rd year, we rinsed glass and tin with boiling water, boiled the lids, and just rinsed the plastic jugs with hot tap water. Not a single one with mold. That's the way we've been doing it since then.

Of course, we're a small operation. I made just 44 gallons last year, but sold 20 of that in bulk. With twice as many taps this year, and 4 times the boiling rate, I don't know how much time we'll have for "fussiness".

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Ibby,

Keep us informed on how the new evaporator works out. You should be able to knock off at least 40 gph or maybe even better! :D 12 gallons of syrup in a day! :D

maple flats
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I have never had mold problems either when I used to buy loose jugs at dealer nor when I bought sealed cases. The mold is stopped dead in its tracks by proper bottling. Have the syrup hot (180 or more) and fill the jug, immediately cap it and turn it on it's side to kill any mold spores on the cap. After at least 20 seconds or more it can be stood up but I usually leave it on the side until several minutes have passed. The hardest time to keep temp is when you get near the end and can't keep a small fire under the canner or things get too hot, just relight fire soon enough to keep temp up. In glass i like to maintain almost 190 because the mass of cold glass is great enough to cool syrup too much in smaller sizes to kill all mold spores.

ibby458
03-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Oh Yes! - that's one of the secrets. The first year, when we put the jugs on the side, a lot of them leaked, even though I had cranked the caps on tight. Dried sugar on the sealing surface!

Once I shut the fire off under the finishing pan, I never heated it up again. Starting with gallons, I'd work my way down to nips to get it all canned. Now that you mentioned it, it would be a lot cooler by the time I got to the smaller sizes.

I was spending too much on jugs, and had tons of little ones left each year, so now I only bottle nips and pints to order, always doing them first. After them, I'd do my quarts, halves and gallons. Obviously, more syrup left in the pan holds the heat better.

I think I'll keep a thermometer handy this year, and reheat as necessary.

We got another 2 cords of standing dead hardwood cut & hauled yesterday. I have NO idea how much fuel this monster evaporator (compared to what we usta use) will gobble. All we can do is all we can do, and hope it's enough, or we'll be able to get more in between gathering & boiling.

This sugaring is a hell of a roller coaster ride. Ups & downs - always going just a bit faster than I'd like. I guess that's what makes it so much fun, right?

Fred Henderson
03-06-2006, 07:02 AM
ibby, You will find that you will use less wood per gallon made with your new outfit. It will be faster than you think. Also if you incresae your taps next year you will be looking for a filter press.

mapleman3
03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Ibby, at 400 taps I would figure you would save$$ buying case lots of jugs, Im just over 300 taps and last year I went through many cases of jugs, especially quarts.... I made 67 gals

John Burton
03-06-2006, 05:49 PM
on a short stack 7 inch filter press what is the minimum ammount of syrup that can be run through in one batch.and still be effective

brookledge
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM
John
With a 7" Grimm you could remove all but one section and filter about 5 gallons. This would use two papers. Like I said before all you need is 3/4" pipe to slide over the threaded rod to act like a washer to take up space so you can still tighten it. If you are looking for a press on a small scale you might find one with a hand pump that is cheaper.
Keith

ibby458
03-08-2006, 05:21 AM
I sure would like to buy containers by the case, which I would fill from my new vacuum bottler, just after my new filter press, which is taking all my new 3x8 welded stainless evaporator can put out from non-stop record sap runs.

Unfortunately, none of those things are true. (yet!) Since we're operating on a shoestring (and really just getting started with real equipment), we buy what we need, just before we need it. (More than once, we've sold a gallon and ran out to buy more jugs with the money) Once the new evaporator is paid for, and I have all the taps, buckets and tubing I need, I likely will buy cases of jugs.

With bulk prices being somewwhat reasonable, I'm not pushing individual sales right now. We can up enough for ourselves, friends and a shop owner that sells 20-25 gallons/year for us. Anything else will get put in drums.

Brent
03-22-2006, 07:33 AM
For the few Canadians on the list , and since jug costs are being discussed here, I just got about 200 small glass bottles at a great price.

Richards Packaging on Lenworth Dr in Mississauga has 250 ml bottles with a maple leaf cast in and the small handle /loop thing for 60 cents, and the 375ml for 69 cents, caps were 8cents.

I cleaned them out. More stock can be got from their Montreal warehouses in about a week.

I have no relationships with them. Just thought this was a great deal to share.

cheesegenie
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey Brent, thanks for the info. Just found out all those plastic jugs (Cruchons) are made about an hour north of here ,east of Ottawa.
I don't know if they sell small amounts to walk-ins.I am glad you
have something to put in them. I am still waiting for sap to run. Days
just stay at freezing, and get about two drops in afternoon.Sun is trying
to peak out, but just can't.