PDA

View Full Version : G H Grimm, Vt Farm Machine Co. History

sherwoodm
11-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know of a connection between G. H. Grimm and the Vt Farm Machine Co of Bellows Falls. Today I acquired a beautiful 2 ft wide front from a Vt Farm Machine arch. It is almost identical to the front for a G H Grim I am rebuilding. I am keeping it as a spare in case anything happens to the Grimm front and will hang it on the sugarhouse wall in the mean time. I wonder if Grimm made these for Vt Farm equipment Co. I hope there is a historian out there who knows. Thanks much.
Sherwood

TunbridgeDave
11-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure there is any connection there. Gustave H Grimm actually started his company in Ohio in 1882. He was the one who pattened the drop flue evaporator. He moved to VT soon after, and the plant in OH closed in the 1940's. VFMC was started in 1868 making evaporators, but I think they were more known for their dairy equiptment. So if you've got an old front that's a nice piece of history. It may just be coincidence that the look alike. I don't know at what point evaporators were standardized. Grimm also used to make farm machinery. We had a tedder many years ago.

Airstreamnut
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM
A cool Vt Farm Machine Co ad on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-Ad-Vermont-Farm-Williams-Evaporators-Maple-Sap-Agriculture-Machines-Farming-/310356142343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4842aae907

sherwoodm
11-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks Dave and Airstream Nut for your information. Much appreciated.