PDA

View Full Version : Fin Tube

whalems
11-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I have a friend who is a heating contractor and offered me some left over fin tube (the stuff they use in boiler heat). I was wondering if anyone has made a pre-heater out of this and how it worked? Any pro's or con's? It's 3/4 cooper with aluminum fins on the outside. Would this help transfer heat to the sap better. I am also not certain on how the fins are attached to the copper. any input on this is appreciated. Mike

11-17-2011, 06:40 PM
That's is exactly what I plan on using for mine and I think it is thinner than regular copper pipe

vikingHB
11-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I have some fin tube kicking around. I'm curious to know how you plan to set this up. Sounds like a good idea.
Can you please explain?

OldManMaple
11-18-2011, 06:39 AM
30 some years ago I while planing to build a solar collector I researched using fin tube. as the fins heat up they lose contact with the copper and become less effective in heat transfer. In heating applications the copper tube expands and makes better contact with the fins. If it worked, everyone would use it.

SWEETER CREATIONS
11-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I have seen fin tubing used in the past but was'nt that effective. This takes up more room under your hood, I was told just use copper 3/4 inch tubes and my preheater consistently runs sap anywhere 190 -205 degrees. make sure your hood is tight fitting and has a damper to adjust the hea. BUT the MOST important thing to remember is a VENT so it dose'nt blow up. just my 2 cents

Dennis H.
11-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Talking about venting, I wonder if one of those air vents that are used in a home boiler for heating your house would work?
You know the thing that is on the top of the airscoop where the expansion tank is located, at least that is where it is on mine.

vikingHB
11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I have seen fin tubing used in the past but was'nt that effective. This takes up more room under your hood, I was told just use copper 3/4 inch tubes and my preheater consistently runs sap anywhere 190 -205 degrees. make sure your hood is tight fitting and has a damper to adjust the hea. BUT the MOST important thing to remember is a VENT so it dose'nt blow up. just my 2 cents

Sweeter creations

Do you have a pic of your set up? I don't have a prewarmer at this point and would like to install. If anyone else does can you forward pics?
much appreciated

SWEETER CREATIONS
11-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I will take some pics and try to post them tomorrow.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
we have an aluminum coil that was never used but is a refrigerent coil. we thought about using it as a pre heater. it is about 3 by 3. i doubt it but any thoughts on it.

backyard sugaring
11-21-2011, 06:49 AM
If You already have fin tubing you can remove the fins. The pipe is thinner than 3/4 heating pipe. Good luck Lee

whalems
11-21-2011, 07:24 AM
I do not already have the fin tube. I have a freind who will give me some if it would work well. I only want to build a pre-heater once. So I will stick to the traditional cooper pipping. Thanks for all the replys, Mike

SWEETER CREATIONS
11-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I have taken the pics but cant figure out how to post them . I'll have to wait for the techies to show me how. sorry