PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia beetles

SouthernSap
11-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Are ambrosia beetles in maple trees a problem for sap collection? Does ambrosia affect the quality of the sap? A very high percentage of the maples in our area are afflicted with it. Does not usually kill the tree, at least very quickly, but most of the bigger trees are full of it. Naturally, it is mainly in the sapwood or outer three inches of the tree. It makes for beautiful lumber patterns when we mill it, and some people pay premiums for ambrosia maple lumber, but what is the effect on sap / syrup production?

SouthernSap
11-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Anybody know? Maybe it isn't very common up north, maybe it's a southern "thang."

DrTimPerkins
11-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Are ambrosia beetles in maple trees a problem for sap collection? Does ambrosia affect the quality of the sap?

Ambrosia beetles generally attack stressed trees (or cut trees). If there are a lot of them, it probably points to some other stress factor being high. You may not get as much sap from trees infested with Ambrosia beetles due to the extra holes for sap to exude from (besides your taphole). The tapholes also provide an easy way for the insect to get inside the tree, so tapping them will likely only make the problem worse. Then again, if you're going to cut them in a few years (not for lumber), it might not matter so much in terms of tree stress, but you're not likely to get real good sap production out of those trees.

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/insects-disease/AmbrosiaBeetles.html

SouthernSap
11-18-2011, 07:47 AM
I see. Thank you. I guess it does not make the sap unsafe then? That's my main consideration.