PDA

View Full Version : How many taps on a cull tree?

Red-bellied Woodpecker
11-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a number of trees that are going to be cut down in the next year or 2 do to being to close to cabin or not best tree and want to release the sapplings under them. So in short how many taps can I put on these trees....after x number will the taps start to produce less sap per tap?

DrTimPerkins
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Two factors affect the answer:

1. Are you using gravity or vacuum?
2. What is the size of the trees in question?

Red-bellied Woodpecker
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I will be using gravity the next couple of years and the trees are in the 15in-24in dbh.

spud
11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
If you are going to cut the trees down anyway then why not 2 tap everything. I would suck the life out of those trees before you cut them. Although i would be careful as to how much money you spend on pipeline if your going to cut them down in a year or two.

Spud

Red-bellied Woodpecker
11-30-2011, 05:30 PM
So I take it that you wont get anymore sap by puting more then 2 taps on these trees?

DrTimPerkins
11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I will be using gravity the next couple of years and the trees are in the 15in-24in dbh.

If you are truly going to cut them down within the next two years, and you're on gravity, I'd put as many buckets as I could around them as low down as you can go (assuming you have plenty of buckets), probably 3-4 buckets or taps on even more if you're using tubing (as long as you're not organic certified). If you think anyone is going to be visiting your operation and may see it, you might want to take a can of spraypaint and put a few distinct and big X marks on those trees as well (again, as long as you're not organic certified). That way when people see it they'll know it is unusual and may ask about it and you can explain why you're doing it.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
What does that have to do with organic certification?

DrTimPerkins
12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
What does that have to do with organic certification?

Organic certifiers have regulations placing a maximum # of taps per tree based upon its size. If you have trees with the number of taps exceeding their recommendations, they may deny you certification. Similarly, some organic certifiers have a prohibition against using paint to mark trees. It all depends upon what their regulations are.

wiam
12-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Organic certification is not about something being not made with any chemicals(inorganic). It is about the whims of the certifying agency. If they are going for sustainability they should call it that.