PDA

View Full Version : Coal for fuel

archangel_cpj
02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
If you reinfoced the grates to keep them from sagging has anyone ever used coal for fuel?????

maplwrks
02-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Coal does not provide enough heat. You would need to fill the entire firebox full, then it lasts forever!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I was told the electric companies down here that all burn coal to generate electricity grind the coal into powder and it burns up completely. If you had a way to do that and something sorta like an oil burner, it would work awesome as coal has a lot of btu's. :)

WF MASON
02-28-2006, 03:29 AM
I talked to a sugarmaker a couple weeks ago , He had tryed his hand at burning coal in his 2x6 , he said things were going good , then his pan started smoking as the solder ran out and it popped apart falling into the firebox. Coal will 'cook' once it gets going.

Dave Y
02-28-2006, 06:12 AM
I watched an Amish boil a couple of weeks ago. He was firing with wood and coal. About every 3rd firing he would put acouple of shovels on the front of the fire. He was boiling on a 4x16 an he really had it rolling.

tappin&sappin
02-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I think I would stay away from coal. I have an old wood/coal furnace in my garage and when I load it up w/ coal, the damper in the stack turns cherry red. A few pieces might work every now and then, but I think it just burns too hot. Very dirty too. The bottom of the pan would have to be a bear to clean.