PDA

View Full Version : The Old Sugarmaker

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Clinton S. Thompson October 31, 1921-November 7, 2011

My Dad lived 90 years and helped make sugar from the time he was 3. As a child, the family still made and bartered sugar for groceries. During the war years, an evaporator was purchased to replace the old flat pans and at 21, he was asked by his Uncle to take over the boiling process. When I took over the Dairy 40 years ago, he began to focus almost wholly on Maple. He watched with pride as I have expanded the bush and integrated new technology into the operation over the past few years. He was still actively involved to the last. He washed and labeled all the jugs and was a primary sales agent. I was often greeted at lunchtime with a big grin and "sold another gallon this morning". The voice, interest, knowledge, encouragement and advice will be sorely missed. We Love you Dad!

Sunday Rock Maple
11-16-2011, 05:04 AM
What a powerful tribute to a wonderful man and a well-lived life. It reminds of my own father, and to be purposeful about honoring him.

I'm very sorry for your loss, but encouraged by how you are extending his legacy -- what a great example for us all.

tuckermtn
11-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Doug- I know you have been the primary caregiver of your Dad the last few years- my thoughts are with you and your family. You know he will be watching over you in the sugarhouse for years to come.

red maples
11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure he will have beautiful big trees with the sweetest sap in heaven!

802maple
11-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Doug, I know how you will miss your Dad. When I lost my own father in 2000. I was always looking for him when sugaring came around to be coming up the road with his pickup after that. Carry on and make him proud.

Sorry for your loss

maplecrest
11-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Doug, sugarmakers never die! but will be greatly missed. I lost my nieghbor last year at 92, for 23 years he came alive at sugaring season. helped me in the sugar house change pans, filter press and fill drums. this last season was a long one without his help. as jerry said i was always looking for him to walk in.as i made the changes thru the years, as you did,from buckets to tubing to high vac to r/o to smaller evap. to see in his eyes the disbelief of each change was priceless. I am sorry for your loss!

Fred Henderson
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Sorry for your lose Doug, we shall all miss him.

jason grossman
11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Doug, sorry to hear about your dad passing. our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Bucket Head
11-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Doug, I am very sorry to hear about your father's passing. I know things will never be the same without him, but the knowledge he gave you and the lifetime of memories will last forever. My mother passed away unexpectedly right in the middle of sap season back in 2002. Devastating does'nt even begin to describe the loss. Sap season will never be the same now, but as time goes on it gets a little easier. You might already have some there but if you don't, get some pictures of your father up on the sugarhouse wall. That way when visitors are there and your showing off the operation, you can point to the photos and with great pride say, "And right there is my dad".

Steve

Z/MAN
11-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry about you Dad. He will live on in your memories every day.

cvmaple
11-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad. There are not too many sugarmakers with that kind of experience left anymore. I think Bucket Head had a good idea about putting his picture up in the sugar house. cvmaple

Sugarmaker
11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Doug,
Sorry to hear about your father. He sounds a lot like mine, dairy and all. I am sure you will miss him the most during syrup season.
Regards,
Chris

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Clinton S. Thompson October 31, 1921-November 7, 2011

Bucket Head
11-24-2011, 10:30 PM
That is a great photo. We can all tell by that smile things must have been humming along nicely in the sugarhouse that day!

Steve