PDA

View Full Version : Arch door insulating

vikingHB
11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
What are people using to insulate their arch door, or are they even placing an insulator on the door? Is it worth it?
Arch board I believe is flammable, so I guess it's out, or is it? I know some of you are using blanket, and does it wear out after the first year of firing.
How do you install your insulator to the door?
A lot of questions, but I know I will get some great advice from my fellow maple traders.

maple maniac65
11-15-2011, 06:43 PM
I attach fire blanket to the door using tungsten steel pins. They are expensive though. They also will not melt like a regular bolt or pin.

warners point
11-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I insulated my arch door with 1 inch arch board and fastened it with stainless steel bolts and washers. There has been no damage to the board from being exposed to the fire.

vikingHB
11-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I insulated my arch door with 1 inch arch board and fastened it with stainless steel bolts and washers. There has been no damage to the board from being exposed to the fire.

What was the max temp. rated on the board?

red maples
11-16-2011, 07:39 AM
I tried arch board it didn't hold up!!! it burns. I used ceramic blanket ss fender washers and SS machine screws drilled and thread in the webbing in my doors. you can use anything less than SS it just can't handle the heat. the blanket gets beat up just from opening and closing the doors but the doors are easier to handle before that you couldn't touch them they would make your gloves smoke!!! I Leave on the old blanket and add on another layer of 1 inch blanket every year. best thing I ever did the doors don't glow anymore :)

TunbridgeDave
11-17-2011, 07:23 AM
My new air-tight front just has several layers of insulation blanket. There's a thread with pics on here. But for a regular cast front, the best insulation method I've seen was to use an inch or 2 of board or blanket on the inside of the door, and craft a panel out of SS sheet metal that you bolt to the door to protect it. Whatever you decide to do, you need to keep the wood a good 6-8' away from the door or it will get red hot and can warp and crack.