PDA

View Full Version : Sweet sorghum syrup!

beetree
11-13-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm looking for some other sugar makers that make sorghum syrup. I found an old press at a local saw mill,and after several years of trying,was able to purchase it. I'm relay not sure how old it is but some old timers that I showed it to say the main press could be as old as 1860's. I was able to squeeze a little juice this fall so i could get an idea how it all worked. The drums need to be tightened down a little, and all the timbers in the frame need to be replaced. I'm hoping to have it all ready for some fall fests and fairs next fall. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

SouthernSap
11-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I haven't made cane syrup or molasses yet, but I am interested in the possibility and I did "raise cane" this year in the garden. I raised Dale sorghum in between my corn where the corn didn't come up, and grew very nicely. I was raising it mainly for the seed and to learn about it. I also bought some seed for Rio sugar sorghum but can't seem to find it now... Naturally sorghum products are popular south of the Ohio and Missouri since they grow well in warm climates, but I guess they might do all right farther north as well.

Anyway, you said another of my magic words-- saw mill, and I am also interested in bees. Do you keep bees, or is there a different story behind your name?

Sugarmaker
11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorghum sounds interesting! The history of the maple pan/s originated in the south making sorghum. I have some shots of our bees on the web site.
I have honey to extract and maple syrup to can tomorrow.
Regards,
Chris

SouthernSap
11-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Nice website, Sugarmaker! You could try sugar beets, too!

beetree
11-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Hay there Southern sap,
The cane I raised was Simon. I contacted the university of Kentucky a couple of years ago ,and they sold me a sandwich bag of it. They said it would do well in our short growing season. I found another sugar maker here in MI that's making some to. He said Dale or Sugar Drip would work to. Sweet sorghum production used to be a big thing here back in the 1930's and 40's when sugar was rationed. I'v heard that it was a big community event. I'm getting some great stories from some old timers! The saw mill that this thing came from is incredible! Huge steam powered saws, a small scale rail system... If the people at Green field Village,or Henry Ford museum knew about half of the stuff in that old place, he'd be a wealthy man!

firetech
11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
If you need help with your mill I'd contact Ken Christianson he has a web site and has restored a lot of mills. We have grown both Simon and Sugardrip. I prefer Sugar drip and next year we are going to try Topper 76 also.

SouthernSap
11-20-2011, 07:55 AM
My boss just obtained a 1903 Frick sawmill (with 1970's Chrysler slant-six repower) and we hope to get it set up before too long. They don't make stuff like they used to!