PDA

View Full Version : My evap is finally done - Davy Jones Project

Mike Bishop
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Thank you to all that have posted along the lines of a Davy Jones style evap. I got the plans from here and started working on it after the sap dried up last spring. The old turkey fryer was not going to cure my new addiction. I ended up with the idea that catering pans would still work, trying to save money with the cost of a traditional pan setup. I changed some ideas along the way (which will always cost you more) and had to move away from the catering pan setup to the full blown divided pans. Glad that I did.

I got the arch board and brick from Sugar Bush Supply in Mason, MI. Great people and very knowledgable. They helped me work out some noob problems. They also had a demonstration at their open house on how to brick an arch. It was perfect timing.

Once insulated and bricked, I had to find a pan setup. I ended up getting a set of divided pans from Jim Schumacher. These things are works of art. Absolutely love them and I haven't even fired them up yet. I just like to sit and look at them. He is a true craftsman and a super nice guy to boot.

The last thing that was a challange was the chimney base and base stack. I customized something again, but got lucky as the king 2 stack base stack fits like a charm. Again, I was able to get this from Sugar Bush Supply.

All-in-all, I probably spent way too much for this and could have bought one for less money, but it was not made with my own two hands (minus the parts that just were not feasible to fabricate).

I am planning on firing the arch up (with water in the pans) this week and see what boil rate I can hope to get come next season.
Any words of wisdom before I do this?

Mike Bishop
11-09-2011, 06:13 PM
MODS: Please move to homemade maple equip if so desired.

SevenCreeksSap
11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Man that looks awesome. Neat lines. I have a set of his pans too and know what you mean, you can shave in those things. Getting ready for the water boil too. I dont drink much but my plan is to get a six pack and let er rip.

Ausable
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Mike - Nice work - You should make lots of good maple on that rig. Have fun on your test boil - good for working out some of the little kinks. --Mike--

CBOYER
11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
All-in-all, I probably spent way too much for this and could have bought one for less money, but it was not made with my own two hands (minus the parts that just were not feasible to fabricate).
that is the best for a sugarmaker! nice job.:)

jmp
11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Great job!

Mike Bishop
11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Thank you guys for the compliments. It really does mean a lot to me as you are experienced at this and I am still a noob.

OK, so I took this girl for a spin around the block. Not terribly impressed (beats the turkey boiler for sure). In the 3 hours, I evaporated about 12 gallons. I did not push her to hard though and played around with some things. Found that the smaller the diameter wood, the harder the boil. I know that I read that on this forum, but had to see for myself. I also was running about 1 1/2" deep and then dropped it to around 1" and that seemed to get her going better as well.

All said and done. I am glad that it is working and I am sure that with time, I will get her fine tuned enough to increase the g.p.h. 3 fold.

BTW, this is a 2 X 3.
4825 4826 4827

GramaCindy
11-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Looks fantastic Mike, I too am a noob, but I have to wonder if your stack was taller if it'd boil harder? Just wondering. I too remember seeing a guy that did his boiling outside and he had a slight twist to the top of the stack, causing a "VORTEX" effect. Not sure if this was legit. Looks awesome. I'll bet you're just dying for syruping season!!!

xyz5150
11-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Looks good Mike, am i seeing this correctly, is there no ash door on the front with a blower on the back ?

Mike Bishop
11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
The blower is on the back but not hooked up to anything. I was just resting it on the cross-member for lack of a better place until it is hooked up. The blower is actually something that I got at a garage sale. It was used for one of those inflatable bouncy houses. I think that I may use it to force air into the front of the firebox. Thing is, that it is way too much air and is not a variable speed motor.

Also, you guys are observant, the ash pan door is missing. This is still to be figured out. Good thing is that I have the winter come up with something.

Good call on the chimney stack height. I do have one extra section if it is needed. Being that I heat my cottage with wood, it is very hard for me to not burn efficiently. When I see and feel all the heat going out the chimney, it makes me sad. Good this is that syrup will make me happy again.

xyz5150
11-11-2011, 10:48 AM
The blower is on the back but not hooked up to anything. I was just resting it on the cross-member for lack of a better place until it is hooked up. The blower is actually something that I got at a garage sale. It was used for one of those inflatable bouncy houses. I think that I may use it to force air into the front of the firebox. Thing is, that it is way too much air and is not a variable speed motor.

Also, you guys are observant, the ash pan door is missing. This is still to be figured out. Good thing is that I have the winter come up with something.

Good call on the chimney stack height. I do have one extra section if it is needed. Being that I heat my cottage with wood, it is very hard for me to not burn efficiently. When I see and feel all the heat going out the chimney, it makes me sad. Good this is that syrup will make me happy again.

As far as the blower goes there is no replacement for displacement:D (cfm's) you can always cover the intake side of the blower to reduce air volume. If it was me i would cut a hole in the back of the ash pan for the blower and put a air tight door on the front of the ash pan. Blowing air from the back will push the flames / heat forward, and create more air fuel mixing instead of riding up the ramp and out the stack. Half the fun of sugarin is making stuff for sugarin at least it is for me.

oneoldsap
11-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Your blower will indeed work better running your air into the rear of your firebox . Of course you can't do that without an airtight front . Your stack wants to be a minium of twice the length of your evaporator , and if it were 8" diameter that would be a good thing , especially with the blower . Nice looking rig you built and as someone else said , the tinkering is half the fun . In order to make any money sugaring you have to do as much work as you can on your own . You need to be a carpenter , plumber , electrician , lumberjack and mechanic .

Sugarmaker
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Dave,
Glad to see posts of the finished product.Thanks for taking the time to post the shots! We talked last year I think?
I like the Golden retriever in the one shot I miss ours. Great dogs.
Your rig looks great, I thing stack height looks about right. 12 GPH may be about right for one of these?
Nice Pan.
More taps next year!
Regards,
Chris