PDA

View Full Version : Food grade paint inside metal drums?

SevenCreeksSap
11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I have pretty close to me a juice factory that has metal 55 gal drums cheap. 2 bucks each and had concentrate juice so food grade. the probelm with them is the tops are off so the whole end is open like a burn barrel. I'm a cheapskate so I'm thinking of getting at least 4, and welding up the open ends together to make a 110 gallon tank. I think the lip around the edges would butt together nicely and make a good seam for a weld. Might take a steady hand to make sure it doesnt leak. I'll cut a door in the top to access the inside and work on a seal for that.

If this works I'll do 2 sets and have 220 gallons of storage to set outside the sugarhouse and plumb them together to run inside. I think I can do this and only have about 20 bucks in the tanks plus plumbing.

Doing This would leave the inside of the weld exposed to the sap though. so does anyone know of a type of sealer I can use on the inside and then is there such thing as food grade paint? I have a couple of other barrels that had syrup in them and they have a paint coating inside. Only trouble is getting more of those is a 250 mile round trip.

whalems
11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
her ya go. Bit pricey though.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RUSTOLEUM-FoodBeverage-Grade-Enamel-Paint-6A396

Hope this helps, Mike

tuckermtn
11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
That type of paint is not allowed to be sold in several states (NH and Ohio among them) But if you know some folks in Vermont, your in luck...

click on the "restrictions" listing near the bottom of the page.

gmcooper
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
CamCoat is availible from several bee supply companies that is supposed to be food grade or at least is sold that way.

3rdgen.maple
11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
her ya go. Bit pricey though.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RUSTOLEUM-FoodBeverage-Grade-Enamel-Paint-6A396

Hope this helps, Mike

Read the description of this product.
High Performance 8400 System is for use where resistance to constant humidity and repeated scrubbing with detergents is desired. Help prevent mold and mildew growth in the dried paint film. Suitable for food processing plants, shower and locker rooms, fresh and waste water treatment plants, tanneries, and laundries. USDA acceptable for incidental food contact. Can be applied to cold surfaces.
Also camcoat is for the outside of bee hives. As far as any reseasrch I have done and some reply's from Dr Tim there is no paint that is food grade, incidental food contact yes but for submersion none that I know of or have ever heard of.

Bucket Head
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't think thats intended to come in direct contact with the food, or sap in this case. Just like white washing the inside of a barn, the milk never touches the whitewash paint.

I guess if it were me, I'd take my chances with the sap touching the small ring-like area that is going to rust after welding.

I realize the metal barrels are cheap, but I would look for some used food grade HDPE barrels. Or a cheap IBC tote (cage tank) that had a food product in it. Their out there. Maybe even someone on here could help you out? It would be cheap insurance as they say and would give you peace of mind knowing theres no funny stuff in your sap and syrup.

Steve

Flat Lander Sugaring
11-09-2011, 04:44 AM
powder coat it:o

Maple Hobo
11-09-2011, 04:48 AM
If I recall correctly most FDA requirments for metal that is used with food contact requires stainless steel?
This even refers to just water.
I don't think an FDA inspector would be happy about food product being in contact with a rusty unfinished welding join.

I recall juice and food grade metal barrels having a plastic liner in them that is often removed when they are emptied out?
I know we had some barrels once that still had the liner in them.

I would second the option of the plastic cage tanks, they have a nice threaded cap on top and a built in ball valve at the bottom already.

SevenCreeksSap
11-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess another el-cheapo idea bites the dust. I've been looking for a caged tank that is clean but havent found one. That would be perfect. My next ploy is someone sent me info on plastic FG barrels around cleveland. I feel a steelhead fishing/ barrel run coming on.