PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to lift sap?

GramaCindy
11-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Okay, I have been searching and reading a lot about pumps to lift my sap from the outside storage tank to inside into the feed tank. It will be lifted about 8' MAX, and not move much vertically. I have an opportunity to get this pump from my husbands worksite, (it will need a good cleaning as I have no idea what it was used for, or if it is used at all) Other than that, a lot of the pumps that have been recommended on here are submersible. That just seems like a bad idea.? I would like to keep the cost if I have to go with another suggestion under $100.4806

Thanks for any help that you can give me! Cindy

western mainer
11-08-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/ShurfloPumps/8005-932-260.pdf
That is a god pump, I use the shurflo pumps here. You can buy a 12volt one here for $100.00. http://www.solar-electric.com/8000-443-136.html

GramaCindy
11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/ShurfloPumps/8005-932-260.pdf
That is a god pump, I use the shurflo pumps here. You can buy a 12volt one here for $100.00. http://www.solar-electric.com/8000-443-136.html

Thanks western mainer. One thing….we will have power in the sugar shack so I would like to have a "plug in" model. I will keep looking. But thank YOU for your reply.

Ausable
11-08-2011, 07:18 PM
What I have been using for the last couple of years is a Wayne submersible sump pump. Should be able to buy one for under $50.00. It comes with a couple of fittings and I have a fifteen foot garden type hose I use with mine (can Buy hoses in various lengths) I really don't know how high it can lift - as my feed tank is only about 8' high and haven't pumped higher than that. Oh Yes - and it plugs in to a standard 110v house outlet. I use plastic drums for sap holding tanks - so move it from drum to drum and only lost prime once - just tilted it a little to burp out some air and away it went. That is the only problem I ever had with it. When Not in use - I take off the hose and drain the sap and store the pump in a clean 5 gal bucket. Would not be without it. ----Mike---

cvmaple
11-09-2011, 12:07 AM
I use a submersible sump pump too. Just plug it in and it will drain a barrel in a couple of minutes. Grama Cindy your sugar shack looks great. You will have a lot of fun this spring. cvmaple

GramaCindy
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the info Ausable. I will check it out. Cindy
What I have been using for the last couple of years is a Wayne submersible sump pump. Should be able to buy one for under $50.00. It comes with a couple of fittings and I have a fifteen foot garden type hose I use with mine (can Buy hoses in various lengths) I really don't know how high it can lift - as my feed tank is only about 8' high and haven't pumped higher than that. Oh Yes - and it plugs in to a standard 110v house outlet. I use plastic drums for sap holding tanks - so move it from drum to drum and only lost prime once - just tilted it a little to burp out some air and away it went. That is the only problem I ever had with it. When Not in use - I take off the hose and drain the sap and store the pump in a clean 5 gal bucket. Would not be without it. ----Mike---

GramaCindy
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info and compliments! Cindy
I use a submersible sump pump too. Just plug it in and it will drain a barrel in a couple of minutes. Grama Cindy your sugar shack looks great. You will have a lot of fun this spring. cvmaple

Brad W Wi
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Cindy,
I use a shallow well pump on my set up. I have a few float switches for teansfering sap from my hauling tank to my storage tank and then to my feed tank which is up 10'. Works good for me. If your ever in the Winter area let me know and I'll show you the set up.
Brad W Wi

GramaCindy
11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks Brad W Wi.! I intend to do some more research. It looks to me like everyone does what ever works for them.
Cindy,
I use a shallow well pump on my set up. I have a few float switches for teansfering sap from my hauling tank to my storage tank and then to my feed tank which is up 10'. Works good for me. If your ever in the Winter area let me know and I'll show you the set up.
Brad W Wi

tomslusher
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Will a livewell pump from a boat lift sap about 8'? I am planning on having 55 gal barrels on the ground and need to transfer it to a 275 gal tote in the back of my pickup. I also need it to be 12v. I want to use a live well pump instead of a bilge or sump style pump as I only want to insert a hose into the tank on the ground. Also, I'm cheap and don't want to waste money I don't need to.

thanks,

tomslusher

11-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Tom just remember that it is easier to push water so try to keep the pump pushing the sap as much as possible but as far as the pump I have my doubts but maybe someone else on here could chime in

HHM-07
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I use a cheap sump pump from tractor supply ( 69 dollars ) got a switch inside the shak and leave the pump in outside tank when i need more i just hit the switch from in side and i got it , try to keep it simple.

Good luck Dick

jluckay
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
i use a flo-tec from home depot 1/4 horse 110 v. it was a little more than your looking to spend , but workes great. i also put a G.E. sediment filter in between my holding tank & inside feed tank & would recomend doing this. i run 80 taps & the filter pulls out every bit of dirt , bugs & debree out of the sap. i get 2-3 boils out of each filter. depending on the run , last years avarage was 80-100 gals . i have never had to use any kind of defoamer due to this. & my sugar checked the same befor & after the filter. this year i added a steri-light (uv bacteria killer) . cant wait to see how this is going to work. wahtever pump you end up getting i would recomend putting in the g.e. filter. good luck!