PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Maple Syrup to the USA

Brookmaple
11-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm a small syrup producer in Ontario. I have a colleague who operates a CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture) program in his small rural community in Georgia. He's interested in including maple syrup in his CSA program.

What export implications are there for Canadians wishing to sell maple syrup to Americans?

tuckermtn
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I have brought NH made maple syrup in to Canada and since it is made in a NAFTA country, there was no duty, etc. Not sure how it is going the other way, but it should not be much of an issue. What type of volume are you talking about? I have crossed the border with up to 5 gallons- but I'm sure there are people on here who have brought in thousands of gallons.

Teuchtar
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Actually it is a big issue. Commercial imports/exports of food are tightly regulated. To import food commercially (ie not as a gift) to US, you need to register with FDA. Even your Canadian farm needs to be registered. There is no on-site inspection. Then when you import the food, you need a ProForma to accompany the goods. You need to select the correct Harmonized Code etc. ( 36BEN etc). There's links to the HTC codes from the FDA site. If you don't do all that, your shipment will be confiscated, and you'll have some explaning to do. There is no duty or taxes coming into US, but you do need to pay a User Fee of $10 or so for each transaction.
Export from Canada and interprovincial trade is also regulated. You need to register your Farm and business. There's no control over the individual export transactions, but the importer might need your registry number. I believe EU would ask for your Canadian food registration number.
Sounds complicated, but its not. Just know the regulations, and play by the rules.
Check Bryans website, he's got some links to the regulatory agencies. http://www.sugarbush.info/links/maple-regulations/

Teuchtar
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry, I meant to say "Export from Canada and interprovincial trade is also regulated".... under Canadian Federal Maple Products Regulations.

So you need to register with both Canada and USA to be able to import to USA.

Brookmaple
11-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the advice--very helpful!