PDA

View Full Version : filter aid with flat filters?

mountainvan
02-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I had a crazy idea last year that putting some filter aid on top of my flat filter( actually paper prefilter) I'd be able to get more syrup through before changing the filter. talked to a friend of mine last year with a filter press about it and he was'nt sure if it would work, but the prefilter would have to thrown out. Any thoughts out in mapleland?

WF MASON
02-27-2006, 03:48 AM
I believe the syrup is being forced through the filter aid inside the plates of the press , when you start to use your press you 'charge it' with a batch of syrup and filter aid mixed togeather. If it was going to work , I'd think you'd have to try that the same. Mix the syrup and filter aid, then pour onto the filter rack. I'm sure someone has already tryed it.

forester1
02-27-2006, 07:04 AM
I think the way filter aid works is the DE gets mixed in the syrup and then the niter and particles bond to it. Then it is filtered out. So if you just put it on a flat filter the DE wouldn't get a chance to bond to the particles. But if you mixed it in, then filtered through a flat filter? I'm not sure.

mountainvan
03-04-2006, 07:23 AM
so I take it no one has tried this? or it works and they don't want to give up a secret.

mountainvan
03-04-2006, 06:49 PM
"borrowed" some de filter aid tonight from a friend, going to try it out this week.

Sugarmaker
03-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I have heard of a local sugarmaker mixing DE with the syrup then letting it strain through a standard felt cone filter. I never saw this but was told it helped. ????
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Van,

Let me know how it works as it sure has aroused me interest. I think it would work as long as you were using several prefilters. :D

mountainvan
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM
tried the filter aid today. mixed one cup and a couple gallons of syrup, then poured on the filters. filtered 14 gallons on a 22x20 flat surface. I'll try it without tomorrow and see if it helps.

mountainvan
03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
started today just filters. after two prefilters and one felt to 10 gallons, mixed in de and seemed to filter more evenly, plus I didn't have to change anything. just slid the top prefilter off at the end and last 2 gallons went through no problem. think I found something I like. also syrup is still crystal clear.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Van,

How much DE are you mixing per gallon or batch?

Mike
03-11-2006, 11:08 AM
This is my first year with a filter press......Hope to filter 20 gals at a time....Any helpfull hints would be great.......Thanks..Mike

mountainvan
03-11-2006, 03:10 PM
WVM, I'm mixing 1 cup of de and about a gallon of hot syrup and pouring it on the filters. made 50 gallons past three daysand with the de only changes the filters after each day.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Van,

Sounds great. Are you only using one cup for the entire batch for the day?? I have always filtered gravity, but I guess I will wait until next year to see how it works as I won't have but 20 to 30 gallon to filter for this year left and I don't want to pay shipping for 10 lbs. :?

mountainvan
03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
yep, made 25 last night and filtered at at least 15, think it was more like 20, with one orlon and two paper filters. started with no de and filters clogged after the second drawoff and with ro sap I'm pretty much always drawing off.

mountainvan
05-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Opened my first pail of bulk syrup to bottle a lot of glass today. Syrup was clearer than I've ever had come out of bulk. Usually I have a little fine sugar sand caked on the bottom of the pail, I use the 5 gal white buckets for bulk, today nothing on the bottom. another indication that the filter aid with flat filters works well.

ibby458
05-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm certainly gonna give it a try next year!