PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU to WF. Mason

English River Maple
11-06-2011, 08:08 AM
On behalf of my brothers and myself, I just wanted to express our thanks to WF Mason. We picked up our new evaporator yesterday at his shop after 5 hours on the road. It was well worth the trip. We are amazed at the quality of Bill's equipment, the prices and the friendly, small town neighbor feeling he gave us when we arrived. Bill Mason builds quality that is second to none in the industry. I can't wait to show off Bill's craftsmanship in the coming 2012 sugaring season.

Thanks!!

tuckermtn
11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I was at Bill's on Wednesday and saw your pans, arch and hood. Nice looking set-up. Be curious how many GPH you will be able to evaporate with that rig as it has the same dimensions and configuration as my old rig. I think you will be very happy with Bill's craftsmanship.

western mainer
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Did you get the high output arch?
Brian

English River Maple
11-06-2011, 04:48 PM
We are very curious about the evap rate aswell. There are so many claims regarding evap rates on different machines that is difficult to tell who has accurate data.

We did not get the high output arch. We did upgrade to stainless for the arch paneling...beautiful stuff.

wiam
11-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I do not know what Bill rates that rig, but I bet you will get more out of it. My 2x6 drop tube gets way more than he rated. If I ever need more I would get another Mason rig.

SapZilla
11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Bill Mason builds quality that is second to none in the industry.

Thanks!!

If I were Patrick Phanuef, Jim Schumacher, or anyone from CDL or leader I would be very offended by this statement. These individuals are in fact the best in the industry from their bright finish to their thin gauge welding strategy.

swampbuck
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Easy now, SapZ. Best, is in the eye of the beholder. Quality on the other hand, does not have to be shiny. It's comprised of a solid design, using industry standard materials. All of which are achieved by Mr. Mason, Mr. Phaneuf, Mr. Shumacher, and the large scale manufacturers. All are quality products. Ever heard the old saying "Chrome don't get you home"...

wiam
11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
If I were Patrick Phanuef, Jim Schumacher, or anyone from CDL or leader I would be very offended by this statement. These individuals are in fact the best in the industry from their bright finish to their thin gauge welding strategy.

Are any of those building a 2x6 that will evaporated 55 gallons/hr, cause I get that from my Mason.

11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Are any of those building a 2x6 that will evaporated 55 gallons/hr, cause I get that from my Mason.
Do you have blower or the high out put arch?

English River Maple
11-08-2011, 06:18 PM

(godzilla)
Quality is a practice...everyone in the maple equipment manufacturing industry understands this to some degree. In all actuality, nothing is perfect. You'll find that stated in a relative manner when reading about the meaning of quality. Check it out, let me know what you find. I have worked in manufacturing of stainless steel equipment since I was 19. Meeting or exceeding the expectation of the customer as well as the fit, form and function of the equipment is what matters. You're right swampbuck, SS doesn't need to be shiny to look great, work great and serve it's purpose. Nobody should be offended, that wasn't the intent. A good portion of this website is based on thoughts and opinions of individuals... including myself.

wiam
11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Do you have blower or the high out put arch?

Yes blower. Not high output.

Josh Nickles
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm not going to argue, nor am I going to defend big mouth sapzilla. I did however do a ton of research before buying my new set of pans. The tube style pans have nowhere near the surface area to the heat that even the cheapest conventional pan has. That is in addition to much thincker stainless which we all know is a very poor cunductor of heat. nowhere near the heat exchange. Wiam, there are a lot of ways to figure gpm. Not accusing you of anything but if the tube pans were as effetive as you say they are then every manufacturer would flock to that design. There is a reason they all spend big money to buy machines capable of building the conventional flue pans that we all know and gawk at. The tube pans are something that any welder could probably build. as this is a public site I want to state that everyone in the market should just do the math on the different pan designs and make a choice from there. I truelly think that you get what you pay for.

SapZilla
11-09-2011, 12:04 AM

No you don't. When you state numbers so far from being realistic you completely destroy your credibility. Even those on your side are looking at you funny.

@ Josh. Sorry you think I have a big mouth. My short posts seem to bother a lot of people. I've just seen enough stuff and heard enough bulls-hit that I can't take it anymore.

Flat Lander Sugaring
11-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I buy a flow meter for you this year come up and have u install it on your rig and then stay a few nights to see this.
As a matter of fact I have one right now, we will make a date for me to bring it up now so you can get it installed before the season. If your rig does that I will give you the flow meter!

yours truly Suicide Sid

swampbuck
11-09-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm not going to argue, nor am I going to defend big mouth sapzilla. I did however do a ton of research before buying my new set of pans. The tube style pans have nowhere near the surface area to the heat that even the cheapest conventional pan has. That is in addition to much thincker stainless which we all know is a very poor cunductor of heat. nowhere near the heat exchange. Wiam, there are a lot of ways to figure gpm. Not accusing you of anything but if the tube pans were as effetive as you say they are then every manufacturer would flock to that design. There is a reason they all spend big money to buy machines capable of building the conventional flue pans that we all know and gawk at. The tube pans are something that any welder could probably build. as this is a public site I want to state that everyone in the market should just do the math on the different pan designs and make a choice from there. I truelly think that you get what you pay for.

Actually... 2" stainless tubing @ .035" wall thickness is approx. 20 ga., not far from 22 ga. One 6' tube contains approx. 452 sq in. One 6', 7" deep flue contains approx. 1000 sq in. It takes just a little better than two 2" tubes to equal one 7" flue. With the number of tubes that you can fit in the same space as flues, the surface area is much closer than you think, or so the math says.

Tubes are a very effective way to boil liquid. Time proven Scotch Marine boiler design proves that. Obviously not as effective as an 11" Max flue, but certainly a valid alternate design.

maplwrks
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that Bill has been producing quality maple equipment a lot longer than Patrick and Jim. By English saying that Bills' quality is second to none, doesn't mean that Patrick, Jim, or anyone else produces junk..... I think his point was, that he is very happy with his purchase and it should be left at that. This is not BULLS-HIT........Just a happy customers OPINION!

lastwoodsman
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow-

All this because a guy is happy with his shiny new pans and wanted to say "Thank you."

Woodsman

tuckermtn
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Well put woodsman...had the same thought this morning.

English River Maple
11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that Bill has been producing quality maple equipment a lot longer than Patrick and Jim. By English saying that Bills' quality is second to none, doesn't mean that Patrick, Jim, or anyone else produces junk..... I think his point was, that he is very happy with his purchase and it should be left at that. This is not BULLS-HIT........Just a happy customers OPINION!

I am glad that some people actually interpereted my original post the way it was intended. The meaning of the statement "second to none" was misinterpereted by some. It does not mean BETTER THAN ALL OTHERS.

Lesson learned: There is a time and place to say thanks. Maple trader is not it.

maplwrks
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I get sick of this crap sometimes.....Buy something nice and someone rips you a new one.

GramaCindy
11-09-2011, 05:02 PM
AMEN Maplewrks!!!!!!!!

wiam
11-09-2011, 08:42 PM
No you don't. When you state numbers so far from being realistic you completely destroy your credibility. Even those on your side are looking at you funny.

@ Josh. Sorry you think I have a big mouth. My short posts seem to bother a lot of people. I've just seen enough stuff and heard enough bulls-hit that I can't take it anymore.

So are you saying my RO flowmeter is broken? Have you ever seen a tube evaporator run? So what is my gph if I am feeding 10% into my rig and have to run the ro at 60 gph to keep my feed tank even? Is your evaporator running 1400 degree stack temp?

Father & Son
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Lets not let this forum turn into what alot of other forums have become, a place to take pot shots at someone for no reason. Sometimes it's just best to walk away and let it go! Mapletrader was set up for those interested in all aspects of maple syrup. Lets go back to using it for the resource that it is.

Jim

11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Lets not let this forum turn into what alot of other forums have become, a place to take pot shots at someone for no reason. Sometimes it's just best to walk away and let it go! Mapletrader was set up for those interested in all aspects of maple syrup. Lets go back to using it for the resource that it is.

Jim
Great idea

Jim Brown
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
as Jim (Father and Son) says Enought!!

Jim

jlemieux
11-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Can't wait to get my flue pan from Bill. He is a great guy who really cares about his work and his customers. For those of us who can't refinance our house for sugaring he is a god-send. His equipment is affordable and Quality is wonderful, that makes it second to none for me also. Bill's customer service is also second to none and I wouldn't take a chance on buying anything anywhere else. I have heard tell his drop tubes boil harder than other flues and can't wait to find out this spring!

lastwoodsman
11-16-2011, 08:27 AM
You bet!

KUDOS to all the fine business's that make these pans.

In my book it is not just a business they are running as their craft is truly an art.

When you buy this type of equipment you are getting more than just a pan, you are getting creativity to work in the medium of metal.

Gentlemen like Paterick, Jim and Bill are the michelangelo's of our industry. How rare they are!!

If I had to make a pan it would be with pop rivets and liquid weld.

Thanks guys---------

Woodsman

Dill
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't have a Mason evap but I have to say my canner was very nicely made. And Bill is a good guy to deal with, he's making a press pan for my cider press right now.

BaileyHillBen
11-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi All, I too purchase a drop tube evaporator from Bill. And although Im new to sugaring (never boiled on my own), I am a welder/machinist by trade and can appreciate the long hrs. under a weld hood. The main reason I purchased from Bill was the quility and craftsmanship used to build his equiptment...by hand. It is evident in every weld that this is Bill's passion and so I would also like to say, from one craftsman to another...Thank You!