PDA

View Full Version : kinetic log splitters---posted in incorrect area earlier

lastwoodsman
11-04-2011, 03:30 AM
kinetic log splitters
Has anyone tried these newer on the market kinetic logsplitters? What do you think???
I am in the market for a new log splitter that is faster than the standard hydraulic logsplitter.
The ads of course make them look great. The Dr., super split and at tractor supply the are carrying speedpro

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor...litter-1022655
http://www.supersplit.com/index.htm

Woodsman

11-04-2011, 04:59 AM
I have rented one of those and they are awesome you can six or seven cord a day with two guys but that is a long hard day

MapleOak
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I bought one of these... the one from tractor supply... If you use one you will never use a hydraulic splitter again! I have mostly beech and it never has any issues. I bought the three year warranty, my only concern is the long term wear on the rack and pinion. Reason I went with the speedpro is the price... it includes the out feed table & towing package for a lot less then the SS, DR... also check out the woodwolf MapleME has one...

maple flats
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I ordered the HD supersplit, Honda engine, with Production table this morning. I first saw one displayed at Sawlex, (a logging equipment expo) in West Va a few years ago. At the show I told the mfgr that I would have one someday, today I ordered.
The unit was very impressive and fast. He had some real knotty wood to demo and it had no problems. I returned to watch at his booth several times. I am convinced my firewood production time at the splitter will be reduced significantly.
I saw one again at the NYS Woodsman's field days in Boonville, NY this past August. This time it was not Supersplit showing, but rather Logrite, who buys the basic Supersplit and makes it into a firewood processor by adding a set of ramps, capstan winch to lift the logs (or a few blocks per lift), a saw deck to buck the logs with your chainsaw. Then the blocks are rolled onto the splitter and split. This, while impressive added some features I didn't need and didn't want to pay for. None the less, I again saw the supersplit first hand. The order I placed today will take about 3 weeks to be ready to ship. I'll report again after I get it.
Hey, guys, ask your wife for Christmas, that is what mine is getting me.

sirsapsalot
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Am i crazy or is there two threads going on this topic ? Sorry i just posted one the other thread.

MapleME
12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
THE WOOD WOLF IS INSANE! But I just recently looked at what TS has and they look pretty similar. You can really power through the wood. I suppose if you were going to be splitting all nary oak logs for your fireplace or stove, I think hydraulic splitters have more force...but since we are splitting mostly syrup wood with it in to small sticks, the speed of these splitters are just hands down the best. I find myself cutting one regular size log that would get quartered for the stove, actually gets cut 15 times or so for syrup wood diameter (I go with wrist size). They can't be beat.

The wood wold has a Honda engine on it. The only tough thing about wood wolf is they are tough to actually buy. You have to drive to them in NH. Being in MN, I think the tractor supply model is just as good. Plus I have no warranty, its basically a dude in his garage cranking them out. A very smart, nice dude... but having a warranty would be pretty cool.

bees1st
12-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Maple Me what are the Wood Wolfs going for? Do you have any contact info?

Dill
12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Are wood wolfs the one made in NH? The neighbor kid has one. Its interesting to watch but head to head its no faster than my hydro with a 4 way wedge. I just happen to have a really fast pump on the tractor I run the splitter on. Plus I like being able to lower my 3pth and roll on really big stuff.

SSFLLC
12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I happen to have a wood wolf biggest peice of sh*t there is its broke down more than its up running.

MapleME
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I think they are going for around 1500.... i just tried to google them but nothing came up. I do have a phone no. for them.
Keith, you may have a mulligan. There is not much to go wrong or "break down". Honda engine, two big fly wheels and a few belts.

I've been happy. I did wear out a bearing and he overnighted a set to me for free, fwiw

SSFLLC
12-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Replaced all the bearings twice. Second time put in after market bearings. The steel I-beam they use is soft. Have torn the splitting wedge off splitting beach and replaced the spring tensioners several times. The guy only lives about 30 minutes from me and i always have to wait for him to even call me back. The engine is the only thing I have not had a problem with.
The bottom line price on these is I beleive $1750.00 and I also have the number if anyone needs something to work on before they work with it. Keith