PDA

View Full Version : kinetic log splitters

lastwoodsman
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Has anyone tried these newer on the market kinetic logsplitters? What do you think???
I am in the market for a new log splitter that is faster than the standard hydraulic logsplitter.
The ads of course make them look great. The Dr., super split and at tractor supply the are carrying speedpro

http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor-power-equipment/log-splitters/speedpro-kinetic-log-splitter-1022655
http://www.supersplit.com/index.htm

Woodsman

warners point
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
My Dad was telling me about this a few weeks ago. I didn't understand what he was talking about, but now seeing one in action, we will have to tap more trees to pay for it. The only concern I would have is how long it will last. Our hydraulic is going on 30 years and is still running like a champ.

twitch
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
There is a guy that has been bringing them to the common ground fair in Maine for at least 6 years. I have seen them in action not the same brand as tractor supply but the same concept. Guys brought in some narly looking stumps and it had no problem going threw them. Very fast also Im sure you can find some videos on you tube.

lastwoodsman
11-04-2011, 08:40 AM
There is a guy that has been bringing them to the common ground fair in Maine for at least 6 years. I have seen them in action not the same brand as tractor supply but the same concept. Guys brought in some narly looking stumps and it had no problem going threw them. Very fast also Im sure you can find some videos on you tube.

yes there are a lot of videos on you tube as well as the links I provided.
Just like to hear from folks that have used them.
I wonder how durable they are.
The hydraulic ones I have owned over the years are not fool proof as with any piece of machinery. This looks as though they would stand up well and they are so much faster.
woodsman

mapleack
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd be afraid for my fingers!

vikingHB
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Looks like a fast machine, you could split a cord in a hurry. I would still prefer the 2 way splitter from Split-Fire (see video). You can also interchange to a 4 way way splitting head on this machine. The kinetic splitter sure did wobble a lot in the video, and to me it does not look durable. Most good splitters will last for decades. I don't know if the kinetic unit will.

http://www.split-fire.com/

Thad Blaisdell
11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
looked like the video was speeded up a little....

talahi maple products
11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I was impressed with the tempest that's on you tube, I think if I were to get anther one I'd look at it. By the size of it the price would probably make it cheaper to burn oil,

maple flats
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
The super split is in my plans for a year or 2. I first saw one in action at Sawlex in WV a few years ago. Then this year I saw one that is enhanced by Logrite into a basic firewood processor. I plan on getting the basic one. far faster, especially on making wrist sized pieces for the evaporator. If you study it, they should last a long time. Nothing light wt nor poorly designed. I would think one would last longer than any hydraulic unit and they run on far less gas.
Dave

Brent
11-05-2011, 09:20 AM
There's a lot more to go wrong on a mechanical machine like this. I'd be waiting for a track record of reliability before I took the plunge. Last year got a Split-fire double acting rig that has a 36" stroke. I cut a fair bit of wood 30" long for the evaporator.
This one only goes 24". I'd miss that extra 6":evil:

vikingHB
11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
There's a lot more to go wrong on a mechanical machine like this. I'd be waiting for a track record of reliability before I took the plunge. Last year got a Split-fire double acting rig that has a 36" stroke. I cut a fair bit of wood 30" long for the evaporator.
This one only goes 24". I'd miss that extra 6":evil:

Brent,

I'm leaning towards the Split fire as well. I'm on the same page as you as far as the kinetic splitters. I'd like some longer term testing, and durability results before purchasing these types of units. Where did you find a dealer for Split Fire? You would think they would be easy to find in Ontario as they are made in Norwich (SW).

Brent
11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Split Fire do have a few dealers but they will sell direct. I went to their shop just south of London and picked mine up there.

Chris is the owner's son who seems be in charge now. His father has some serious health issues. They export a lot of their machines to the USA. I got the biggest one ... fastest stroke and 36" stroke. I got a lifter ... wish I had got one on each side. After you get it go to your local Honda dealer and get a muffler exhaust deflector. About $ 12. It will keep the exhaust from cooking your right leg while you're running it on the motor side.

red maples
11-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I have a heard good things about them speed wise which is nice but, you need to replace the flywheels they do wear out. the main problem I see is that if you have big wood to split(which I usually do because I use everything I can find. you can't get it up on these splitters you can lift it up with a tractor or something!!! from what I have read you have horizontal splitting thats it. With the hydrolics many you can switch from vertical to horizontal in seconds, I know I can with mine and besides mine troy built might not be the best cost $1250 new and these run about I think $2100 + which was more money than I wanted spend!!! It works good for me I put through 18 cords this year and everything from hardwood stumps to the knotiest nastiest syuff you can think of and knotty pine up to 36" in diameter no problem what so ever!!!

lastwoodsman
11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Brent,

I'm leaning towards the Split fire as well. I'm on the same page as you as far as the kinetic splitters. I'd like some longer term testing, and durability results before purchasing these types of units. Where did you find a dealer for Split Fire? You would think they would be easy to find in Ontario as they are made in Norwich (SW).

I agree I would like to see them after a few years on th e market. Speed seems to be the only advantage. I can see parts wearing out faster than a hydraulic splitter. Although I have had my problerms with them , such as slowing down after time. Either the pump, cylinder or hand valve breaks down. I need to take my Northstar 22 ton in an have it looked at.
Woodsman

Farmboy
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Super splits have been around for over 30 years. That should be proof enough that they work. I just bought one two weeks ago. Its used and I need to do an engine swap on it. Everyone that has one likes them. Everyone Ive talked to that has one says nothing breaks or wears out on them. The speedpro Looks kinda cheesy. Its made in china and people have had problems with the flywheels being out of balance and the racks not being hardened right and shearing off.

sirsapsalot
12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I have never seen a log splitter like this.

Homestead Maple
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
They are fast and simple. For commercial use = maybe not a good idea. But for the average home owner I don't think they could do any better.

MapleME
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I have owned the Wood Wolf and really like it. It is the same design as the SS. Those people let the patent run out about 7 years ago and the folks at wood wolf snagged it or just started to copy it. I have had good luck. These things obviously were designed before OSHA was around....because if you are not careful... off with your hand! But boy, I laugh at people with hydraulic splitters who are spittle small syrup wood. They are just wasting time!

maple flats
12-06-2011, 04:02 AM
My wife just bought me a Super Split . She had me order it for Christmas. Expected to arrive in about 3 weeks.

Stamford sugarmaker
12-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I noticed the same thing Thad did- in the OP video they speeded up the film. No doubt they are faster, but it makes you wonder about the ethics of the company marketing them. I also like the option of vertical splitting with hydraulic, as well as the idea that they are less likely to sever body parts.

Two years ago, after splitting 6-7 cords of hardwood a year for 32 years with a Monster maul, my son suggested I go to a splitter. I don't regret splitting by hand all those years because I liked the workout, but I sure do like splitters!

Peter

Sako
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I want to see the video of a 32in or so dia oak trunk piece where a main branch was sawn off.
Do you get split wood or srap metal.
Chris

Bucket Head
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Small, straight pieces of wood are not much of a workout for any machine. Another thing I noticed about the one I saw being operated was the fact that the operator had to reach back and a little upwards to pull up on the engagement lever while moving and positioning wood. Not what I would consider ergonomically friendly. The valve/lever on my splitter is right in front of the hand that operates it as I stand next to it.

Steve

maple flats
12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Bucket, I'll let you know how the ergonomics plays out. I just received my Super Split and assembled it yesterday. I saw and tried one a few years ago and found that lift knob slightly out of place. The new ones have been improved. There is now a lever that extends about 6-8" towards the work station, it should be good now. I will finish mounting the Honda engine today and start using it. Total assembly time, one person, no help about 90 minutes max., with the use of my bucket loader with forks to lift the weight.
Dave

MapleOak
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I replied to the other post... I believe the SuperSplitter is the original... I have done a ton of research on these kinetic splitters and I have never heard a bad thing about the SuperSplitter. I see that DR power equipment is making one which is about the same price. I would put these two at the head of the class as far as durability and craftsmanship. With that said you pay for them (at least 2500)... I bought the unit from tractor supply and bought the extended warranty because I'm skeptical about the parts, but I still saved about $600-1k...
With that said there are really only three parts on these units that get wear belts, the rack, and the pinion gear... Belts are easy to replace... The rack and pinion could be expensive without a warranty...
These things will pretty much split anything a 27 ton hydraulic splitter will...

markct
12-24-2011, 09:12 PM
i have to admit i like the idea of a hydraulic splitter as its a little slower when splitting, thus not so much to catch you by surprise, lets face it not all firewood is nice straight grain and cut perfectly square like in the videos! i have a homemade hydraulic splitter that i run off the hydraulics on one of our tractors, never timed the cycle but its pretty fast, also the cylinder has an oversized rod so it retracts very fast, and the valve has a detent so it can retract while you are moving the wood out of the way. i have to wonder what happens when the mechanical type splitter jambs in a log? how do you back it out? i often split wood as big as 4 ft on mine, i added a hydraulic crane to handle the wood with a set of log tongs hooked to it. when doing that i wouldnt want a fast splitter as thats alot of weight thats moving when it splits, usualy break off a section with the crane holding the other part still and work from there

maple flats
12-25-2011, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=Stamford sugarmaker;168251]I noticed the same thing Thad did- in the OP video they speeded up the film. No doubt they are faster, but it makes you wonder about the ethics of the company marketing them. I also like the option of vertical splitting with hydraulic, as well as the idea that they are less likely to sever body parts.

I assembled my new SS Thursday morning but didn't have time to try it. Then on Friday morning I used it for the first time. My impression is WOW, big time. I can see a new need for some help however. I'll need a saw man to buck logs into blocks, 2 to keep me fed with blocks and 3 or 4 to haul the wood away and stack it. Man, that is fast. I filled the back of my truck in 30 minutes, working alone. Using my old hydraulic it would be at least 2 hrs. There is no waiting. Lift the operating lever and BAM.
I don't think the video was speeded up as stated above. The cycle time is 2-3 seconds. It works great. I looked for a real knotty test piece and I did have to return the ram 2x before it split, but that was still faster than my old hydraulic (from TSC). The knotty one stopped the ram, I hit the op lever down, the ram retracted instantly, I lifted again, it penetrated about 3", retracted again and it split the 3rd time. According to the manual, the ram hits with a force of 55,000 pounds if the fly wheels are turning at 300 RPM. Retract and again it hits at 55,000 pounds. The constant force is just over 1/3 that. I will be using it tomorrow for a couple of hours. Then it is back to maple work. Lots to finish in the new lease and then do repairs in my old lease.

CharlieVT
12-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Though I'd add my experience going from the splitting maul to an hydraulic splitter.

Points of post:
1)Faster split cycle time doesn't necessarily make the operation more efficient if you are working alone.
2)My modifications shown here may inspire someone to make their existing hydraulic splitter more efficient for them.

When I was researching my first (and only so far) splitter I thought I wanted a fast one and spent some time comparing cycle times of hydraulic splitters. Now having used mine a few years I realize that cycle time isn't that important. Not having to stand at the controls all the time is important. What really wastes time is having to stand at the hydraulic controls during the entire splitting cycle. If you can get away from standing at the controls, the faster stroke of kinetic machines is no advantage unless you have a helper.

I consider the slower wedge to be a safety feature. There are times when I want to hold the piece to be split in place until the wedge enters the wood so I can control where the split occurs. With a kinetic you don't want your hands anywhere near the wood or the wedge when the split cycle starts!

I also wanted a splitter that could work both horizontally and vertically for those really big pieces, and one with the power not to stall in some of the gnarly wood I prefer not to leave in the woodlot.

The speed of the kinetic splitters is amazing and for some folks it is sure to be the right tool.
As a one man operation, I learned that the speed of the splitter isn't that important as long as I didn't have to stand at the splitter and hold the hydraulic control lever all the time.

My splitter, a Northern Tool, came with a control mechanism that slows the engine rpms to idle when the splitting ram is fully retracted. Once the ram starts to move during the splitting cycle the engine throttles up. It was this throttle control mechanism that gave me the idea for a control mechanism that would allow for unattended splitting and automatic return of the hydraulic control lever to neutral at the end of the splitting stroke.

From the factory, the hydraulic control valve stays in the retract position until fully retracted and then it automatically pops into neutral. This allows the operator to take off the pieces just split without having to stay at the controls during the retract stroke. I wanted a similar feature that would allow the control lever to stay in the forward position and then self release at the end of the splitting stroke. I decided to do this modification with a control linkage similar to the throttle control rather than to modify the hydraulic control assembly itself.

With the hydraulic controls automatic during the splitting stroke as well as the retraction stroke, once the split cycle starts, I can then move about the splitter rather than just stand at the contols. Being able to work around the splitter with hands off the controls during both the split movement and the retract movement allows staging of pieces and bearing off split pieces without wasted time. Yeah, this modification is probably not Osha approved, but since the wedge movement isn't all that fast, it is more forgiving than the speed of a kinetic splitter would be. (This isn't a slow wedge movement compared to other hydraulic splitters, just slow compared to kinetic ones.)

Here are the modifications I made to my splitter which allow the operator to load a piece, start the split cycle and then work about the splitter without having to stand at the control lever.

A small metal plate serves as a catch to hold the control lever in the forward (split) position. This is pictured here first in the splitting position. A cable releases this catch when the ram reachs the end of the splitting stroke:

Here's the release mechanism that the traveler hits to release the catch at the end of the splitting stroke:
I also added a rack to hold pieces staged for the next split cycle. I use time away from the controls during the split and retract stokes to load the rack, stack the pieces just split, etc. For a one man operation, there really isn't any wasted time.

Stamford sugarmaker
12-25-2011, 03:38 PM
maple flats,

If you look at the 42 second mark of the video that is 2:48 seconds long I believe you will see what I am talking about. As I posted earlier, I never doubted that the kinetic splitter was faster.

Peter

Farmboy
12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Charlievt supersplits come with the auto cycle feature that you built.
I just got my super split running friday. I put a new subaru robins engine on it. Built a outfeed table for it today. Tomorrow I am going to make it taller because I have the trailer tow package so it is lower than a regular one. Also need to change a bearing under the ram that rides on the beam. I used it the other day for a little while. Wow its fast! I will use our hydraulic splitter on the elm because it has twisted grain. It flys through everything else including oak croches.

maple flats
12-27-2011, 06:29 AM
looked like the video was speeded up a little....
After using the super split I don't think the video was speeded up, but I do thing the operator was rushing to make a point, just like sawmill operators do in a head to heat sawing speed competition.
Thad, Now that I have the SuperSplit and assembled it I set them side by side and made some comparisons. The first is the main beam, while it is smaller in height and slightly narrower than my 20 ton hyd, the gauge on the steel is more than double. When I put an impossible split on the hydraulic one, the beam has a very slight flex, I put an impossible split on the SuperSplit and got no flex. (both impossible splits were a piece of hop hornbeam, set to split cross ways. The main beam is stronger. Next I studied the ram, it is more massive than the hydraulic one. The drive teeth look very heavy. The machine is very well built. I'll have to measure the flywheel shaft but I'm guessing 1.5". It looks to be a very sturdy but simple design.
Comparing the cycle times, 2.? seconds compared to 17 seconds, both with no log to split, then with a log, both from the same tree, sucessive cuts and no knots and about 18" diameter, bigger one in Supersplit. Time for ss, 2.? (too fast to be sure but under 3 seconds) and hydraulic 18 seconds. Engines- SS = 4 hp Honda, running just above 1/2 throttle, hydraulic 6.5 hp Briggs running at full throttle.
The SS is a very simple design and looks to be far easier to maintain and repair if ever needed. Another difference is on the hydraulic I need to hold the operating lever until the split is completed and then it will lock in return detent. The super split I just engage it, let go and grab another piece to split. Some say they want a multi split wedge, I have not seen one that will split the wood fine enough for my needs (wrist size). In the right application I am not adverse to hydraulics in most applications but I'm convinced that wood splitting is not one. I do now wand another piece of equipment however, I'll be looking for an old elevator to move the split wood and drop it on a wagon, to be stacked. This is so fast that moving the split wood out of the way is tiring. The hydraulic is so slow it is not an issue to stack the splits into the tractor bucket.

cropseyvillemark
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Dave, Are you still happy with the SS? Are there any differences between the SS & the kinetic from DR?

cropseyvillemark
07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I don,t know what I did to make this thread jump to a different catagory.

maple flats
07-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Dave, Are you still happy with the SS? Are there any differences between the SS & the kinetic from DR?
I am still trilled with my Super Split. I got the 4 HP Honda option, I love Hondas. Everyone I show loves it too. These are not new by any means. They were invented over 30 yrs ago, and have been in continuous production since. The patent protection ran out a few years ago and you now see copies all over, TSC, DR, and others. Some US made others China etc.
I am looking to find an old bale elevator, prefer 16-20' but can use longer if that is all I find. My only problem with the splitter is that I have too much split wood to move too soon after starting to split.
I occassionally find a piece that needs to be hit more than once, but that is easy and I've yet to find a piece that will not split unless is is cut so crooked on both ends that it won't stay put to split. To re-hit it I just push down on the lever and re lift. Doing this even 4 times takes no more time than my old hydraulic did on one complete cycle. This being said, I have no elm, that might be too much for it, but I'm not sure. After using it for about 3 tanks of gas (and splitting for 6 months) and having enough wood for 2 yrs maple ahead as well as my house wood, I love it. I see no finger danger, infact I think it is safer because it is faster. I know of hydraulic users who get hurt just because of being careless. On mine I just place the block on the table, hold it if needed at mid-point and lift the operating lever. Then I slide half on the table to one side and split the other. Plenty of room (I got the production table). If I don't find an elevator I think I'll make a drop front box extension for my tractor bucket to drive up, slide it under the production table and split til full, then back out, and drive to my staking location, drop the front and unload. This should save time moving the wood. Just let it fall into the box till full, without stacking in the box. Now I stack in the bucket but it fills so fast I get tired just getting on and off the tractor. This was never the case with my old hydraulic unit. The Super split is at least 4-6x the production of my hydraulic. In fact I had help once time, 3 able bodied guys. One feeding blocks to me by bucking and stacking them next to the splitter. The other 2 tried to keep up hauling wood away. I still had to wait for the wood to move out fast enough.

whatever
07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
We've has a supersplit for a long time , likely 15+ yrs which has split thousands of cords of wood and have no complaints whatsoever. On the third motor now but that's about it. If you find after the years that the bearing under the ram is giving you trouble just keep a small jug of used motor oil near you and and put a small amount on the beam everyonce and awhile.

DanE.
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Just wanted to give my comments on the tsc version.

The summer/fall of 2011 I bought the speedco version from TCS. loved the hell out of it. I could keep 2 workers busy while i loaded and split the blocks. Having the work table was great - no bending over to resplit the blocks. The two problems i had with it while I was using it was the speed of the split could cause a piece of wood to go flying. I noticed that it only happen with a block the was not cut squarely ~enough~. Also it did not like the shaggy bark hickory. the bark would get jammed between the ram and the beam. since there is no power back, it was a sob to get it unjammed.

Now the bad. the speedco was a cheap china knock off, the ram/rack gear was not hardened properly and about 5 inched of teeth went missing after 10 cords. I returned it to tsc and the said that all of the speedcos were recalled for this reason and they gave me back my money.

a few months ago, i think it was speedco, was off loading a whole bunch of them on eBay for 1000$, I see they or TSC does not sells them anymore.

Oh I split my firewood by hand (axe) this weekend. there is still a pile of knotted and hickory blocks i will get to ... sometime. I will be looking for a kinetic splitter for next year. most likely it will be a supersplit after reading the good things everyone has said about them.

Dane.

maple flats
10-15-2012, 06:50 PM
My super split has likely split 25 full cord so far, with no issues. I do have to spray lube on the main rail if it sets for a few weeks idle. If it was stored inside this might not be an issue. After a liuttle spray to loosen the ram return speed, all is good again.

twitch
10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
I purchased a super splitter a couple months ago have split 7 cord with it and love it not a single issue and the speed is awesome. I would recommend it to any one.

Murphy's Law
11-22-2012, 09:00 AM
I was in a log processing plant in upstate Pennsylvania a few years ago and they had two Kinetic splitters. The guy told me they were both about 40 yrs. old. And they looked every bit that old. One was diesel powered with only 20 HP and one was steam driven. Each had two flywheels. The flywheels were about 4 ft. diameter and easily a ft. thick. I think the guy told me the flywheels were 2 tons each. And the stroke had to be at least 8 ft. The flywheel shafts were 12" diameter with the pinion gear machined in the center. I only got to see it operate for a few minutes as they really do not use them much any more. That was one of my more interesting business trips as I got to see many of their operations close-up.

He told me that they were the most reliable machines in the entire plant. All of their hydraulic equipment requires 6 full time mechanics to keep everything in good working order but they only check out the Kinetic splitters once a year.

I think that I wouldn't hesitate to replace my hydraulic splitter with a Kinetic when the time comes - if I live that long. :rolleyes:

CampHamp
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I have been using the larger DR splitter (Pro-XL) for a year. DR often has "1 year trial" offers, so there wasn't much to lose if I didn't like it or find it safe to use. I've split about 15 cord with it and still look forward to using it.

I agree with the statement made earlier, that the kinetic splitters are less dangerous than the hydraulic units. You stay very alert for that one second each split, rather than trying to multi-task to increase productivity.

The DR machines come standard with a pin hitch - very handy.

If you get one, buy the table.

maple flats
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
The Super Split has a trailer hitch as an option. I may add my own hitch tongue and coupler someday, maybe not. If I want to move it to another location now I use my excavator to set it on a trailer.
The speed of it still impresses me. No problems at all, and it splits lots of wood on 1 tank of fuel. My 18 yr old grandson loves to use it, so I rarely get to anymore. That's OK. In fact he has likely finished all my wood for the next 2 yrs syrup needs.

BlueberryHill
04-17-2014, 07:31 AM
After a couple years of trying to find a used Super Split, I finally gave in and just bought a new one. I tried it out last night. WOW!!! I am upset that I wasted so much time over the last few years splitting with my hydraulic log splitter. This thing is so fast. It's also super ergonomic. I am not fighting the wood at all. This is seriously awesome. Looking the machine over, it is built incredibly solid. Worth every penny. I got the J-Model (the cheapest one) with the production table (awesome) and also upgraded to the Honda engine. It chewed through everything I threw at it last night. Knots, crotches, and all. Motor is quiet and even I eased it back a bit from full throttle and it still never hesitated. Just eats up the logs. My old splitter I always used ear protection but never had stuff flying so I never work eye protection. This is the opposite. Eye protection for sure but its much quieter so no ear muffs needed. Might use them if I was splitting for hours on end.

maple flats
04-17-2014, 05:31 PM
My super split has now processed all my sugar wood for 3 full seasons, plus about 3 full cord each year for my home, and I have about 1 yr. ahead all split for each. I also let a kid I've known for 30 years borrow it ( in 2003, on New Years eve day, he helped set the trusses on my sugarhouse) to split about 1 full cord each year. I love it but as I stated before, I rarely get to use it, because my grandson likes to use it too and whenever there is wood to split he does it.
No issues yet. As I understand it, Super Split was patented in the mid 70's and they then had 27 yrs. (I think) of patent protection. That protection then ran out and several copies came out. The only 2 I've seen closely are the Super Split and the DR, both are made really well. I also saw from a distance the Chinese copy that TSC carried for a while, but they would not show it to me, it must have been a bad one that was returned. soon after they no longer carried those splitters.
Still the only issue I have is that I need to lube the main rail and a little roller that rides on the rail to carry the ram back to retract position. That needs to be sprayed each time I (or my grandson) start to use it after a long rest of a few weeks or more. I still amazes me how much I split on a single tank of gas, at least 5x the wood of what my old hydraulic splitter did on the same size tank. I like only needing to run the throttle at about half, my old hydraulic had to be full speed or it would never get done.