PDA

View Full Version : can this tree be saved?

hkillam
11-02-2011, 07:24 PM
The attached picture is of a 7 inch tree in a very convenient location. Quite a large wound, extends about 50% of the way around the tree, and is well over a foot tall. I know it is too small to tap anytime soon... but if it could heal decently and still be productive then i'll keep it and let it mature some more. But if this wound will prevent it from ever being a decent sap producer, i'll take it down now. Opinions?

markct
11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
i doubt it will grow to be a strong healthy tree, but i would start tapping it as it is and get some sap outa it anyhow

D's sugarshack
11-02-2011, 07:46 PM
dont think that one is going to make it,i would cut it.the very center of that wound already looks like its getting punky,just my thought..Aaron

waysidemaple
11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Throw a tap in it this year. If it dies no big deal because you are going to cut it down anyway, if it gives you sap for the next few years before it dies thats just a plus. If you need the wood cut it down now. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

SevenCreeksSap
11-03-2011, 01:01 AM
The tree has healed from that wound and you would probably get sap from the back side like any other tree. You might even get sap from a tap below that wound but youd be dry above it I bet. It could go hollow and youd still get sap from the cambium layer, the dead wood inside doesnt carry sap anyway. I bet you could tap the back side for several years until you tapped so many spots that it cuts most of the flow off, but the tree will steadily decline as you tap more. If all of your bush looks like the smaller trees around there you may need all the sap you can get. It may be one of your good producers because its still alive so it has adjusted to the wound and all of the nutrient flow is going up whats left of the cambium on the back side.