PDA

View Full Version : Insulating the arch.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
I built a block arch. Put angle iron on the sides. And more support through the middle. Then i got a piece of 3/16 inch steel and put it on top of the frame I made. I want to know if a 1 inch thick ceramic blanket is enough insulation or if i should go with fire brick on top of the ceramic blanket.

Thanks in advance. Jobie Rossell

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
i have been told 2" of insulation, and fire brick has no insulation value just protects against damage. now if you want 2300 or 2600 deg blanket im not sure

Rossell's Sugar Camp
10-27-2011, 08:27 PM
We have 2300 degree blanket. And is the 2 inch thing for protection of efficiency?

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-28-2011, 05:20 AM
efficiency, blanket does not protect against wood being tossed in fire box. Look at the new arches, you only see brick or concrete in fire chamber area where you load wood everything else is blanket only. The more heat you keep inside the arch the harder it will boil. A leader rep told me 2", now if that just to make a bigger sale or actually knowledge for better efficieny IDK, but this is also being read by some CIA person in Virginia. I found a place that sells blanket 2300, 1"x2'x25' for like $137.00
http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/BCS-Blanket.php

allgreenmaple
10-28-2011, 06:11 AM
That is a good price on blanket Rusty, plus free shipping. I am likely going to put in an order.........

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-28-2011, 06:33 AM
that itc100 spray stuff is pretty neat sounds.

PapaSmiff
10-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Flat Lander,
Yes, I agree with allgreenmaple. I've been researching a good source for blanket, bricks, and refractory cement. BCS seems like a good source.

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
well its a cali company but idk about product

red maples
10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
My recommendations is go with arch board, I think its easier to use than blanket. its very firm goes in easy, doesn't crush, and you just cut it with a box knife. then brick over that. I don't know what its raied at, but cast iron glows red about 1200*

Stamford sugarmaker
10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Brad,

Are you recommending the stuff Bascom's sells? https://www.bascommaple.com/item/abin/arch_installation_supp/

Peter

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
you might find places cheaper than the manufacturers for sugar equip. its like when you put fire/rescue on something price double or triples just check around

Stamford sugarmaker
10-29-2011, 08:25 AM
At this point I am not that concerned as to where I buy the product. I am more interested to learn if the arch board they sell at Bascom's https://www.bascommaple.com/item/abi...allation_supp/ is the product you recommend?

thanks, Peter

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-31-2011, 06:13 AM
here is reply i received
RE: blanket
1 recipientsCC: recipientsYou More
BCC: recipientsYou Show Details FROM:Paul - BCS TO:'rusty johnson' Message flagged Friday, October 28, 2011 12:57 PMMessage body
Hi Russell:

Thanks for writing. The ceramic blanket should do the job. I'm not familiar with the equipment you mentioned so I can't say too much about how thick a layer to use. It's a trade off between insulation thickness and heat loss. In the foundry furnace application folks typically use a 1" thickness.
It's also a good idea to coat the surface of the blanket with ITC-100 to reflect the infrared component of the heat back into the chamber. The ITC-100 also helps to stiffen the surface of the blanket to help protect it from abrasion and to bind it all together and hold it in place. Definitely helps with fuel efficiency too.
A possible suggestion to help reduce heat losses is to use a lower temperature rated material on the outside of the furnace. The foundry guys will sometimes wrap the outside of the furnace with fiberglass insulation to cut down on heat loss on the cooler outside surface. Generally the fiberglass insulation is good to about 400 F or so.
Right now we are carrying material that is made in the U.S. Our usual supply is from overseas. We have about 10 boxes or so of the domestic material in the warehouse. We received a container full of the Chinese material this week, and we will be switching to that once the existing stock is gone.

Hope this helps,

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I own a small maple syrup producing company and thinking about using your product to insulate my arch. It is wood fired mostly with pine and hemlock. On larger rigs Lapierrier force 5 3'x12' tempurature reached 1900F at the rear, 1600F at the fire box location. your product is rated for 2300 so I don't think I see a problem. Should I double up thickness to make it more insulated or would 1" thick piece be good?

I see that you located in Ca. where is your product manufactured?