PDA

View Full Version : Used Oil Injection?????

SAP EATER
10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Has anybody tried injecting used motor oil into a wood fired arch????

jasonl6
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Since we make food products you can't use motor oil in your evaporator. I say can't meaning it's not looked favorably upon. You could do it but it's best not too.

Jason

TimJ
10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
"Since we make food products you can't use motor oil in your evaporator. I say can't meaning it's not looked favorably upon. You could do it but it's best not too."

Jason, I am confused - diesel fuel is more acceptable for making a fire than used motor oils? I would say that if either has contact with your sap or syrup it is bad - why is one worse than the other?

10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Jason what about oil fired arches

whalems
10-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I was wondering the same thing. What is the difference between used filtered motor oil and fuel oil? They are both petroleum products.

mapleack
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
My guess is that there are more volatile compounds in used oil than in diesel, thus the ban or discouragement towards using it.

jasonl6
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Fuel oil has been refined (grant it you wouldn't want it in your syrup). An oil fired arch is designed to be used with oil. A wood fired arch is not. You wouldn't burn creosote poles or pressure treated lumber in your arch would you? When i first started years before i sold syrup we had a dripper set up to drip oil into the fire. Unless you have a nozzle spraying it i don't think the benefit is there. I'm not the authority on this I'm just saying from a personal professional opinion i would not be feeding my rig with oil. Imagine someone coming to visit as your dripping used motor oil into your fire...

Jason

802maple
10-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't know about other states, but here in Vermont, it is illegal to burn waste motor oil in your maple evaporator.

lmathews
11-07-2011, 06:41 AM
There is a big diff with pressure treated and telephone poles from oil as they are filled with fameldahide,creosote, and arsnic (very deadly preservatives).When it comes to burning used motor oil it is based on btu.The government set a limit at 499,000 btu.I think all evaporators start at 600,000 btu making it to much.It is this regulation that makes it so we can't.Used motor oil is looked at to be the same as the #6 oil that looks like tar.

twitch
12-08-2011, 05:43 AM
They make used motor oil furnaces my friend has one in his wood shop . You could use the same nozzles and burner and have it all set up just like any oil fired evap. There's nothing to it then get hooked up with you local bus garage or trucking company they go threw a ton of oil and your off free fire!! I wouldn't put either diesel or oil in my syrup that would be probably give it an off flavor i don't think i would even put wood in it for that matter that would probably be scratchy on in your mouth :). I don't know about the laws but it is possible I don't think a drip in your fire would work very good. I'm going to burn wood and just wood I don't burn oil in my house and never will unless for some reason all the wood is gone.