PDA

View Full Version : Urban Mapling

mcgeec
02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
I tap a small number of trees in Nashua NH. I tapped yesterday (Feb 23) and felt like I was late. 10 taps all together. All the taps were running (except the Oak I butchered in my neighbors yard 8O ). I think all the pavement helps heat up the ground and gets it flowing earlier.

I worry a little about road salt and pesticides - should I?

And my evaporator is 24" by 20" and can do only about 2 gallons per hour so I can't handle much more than 10 taps.

My wife cannot believe how much fun I have standing out in the cold with buckets of sticky sweet water. It is the best!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Nothing there to worry about. The tree roots are nature's best filter.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2006, 09:47 AM
mcgeec,
We tap 90% road side maples (400 taps) and have not had a problem this maple taste. Made 10 gallons on nice light syrup on Friday night.
Good Luck,
Chris

brookledge
02-26-2006, 10:32 AM
mcgeec
Just don't add any salt to your pancake batter and you will be all set. :lol:
The only thing that would be an issue is if pesticides were being used nearby and you were organic certified otherwise I don't see any problems.
Your not late either. Season hopefully will go into April.
Keith

mcgeec
02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the input on the urban tree question. Since I got such a great response, I have two other questions if anyone has the time. Given the icy weather, I thought some people might.

1) I have converted to wood heating from propane this year. I took the top off an old wood stove that is ROUND and put my RECTANGULAR evaporator pan on top. You can probably imagine my problem - the gaps between the round stove and the square evaporator. Since I have no welding skills, what could I do to seal these gaps and direct maximum heat to the pan?

2) Last year I evaporated about 2 gallons per hour out of my 20" x 24" pan using propane. Is that a reasonable rate for 480 square inches and what can I do to crank up the evap rate?

Thanks for all the great info on the site.

mcgeec

maple flats
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
That might be a little low but hard to be sure. I have a 2 x 6 that gets 22-23 gal/hr but half of it has a flue pan which gives a much greater evap rate. It seems to me that the rate in the North american Maple Producer's manual was about 1.5gal/sq ft for a flat pan so 480/144=3.33 sq ft x 1.5 should be at 5 gal/hr. If my recollection is right you should get the 5 gal rate IF you boil it as fast as possible. The faster boil makes lighter syrup. I think you will find that wood will boil it faster if you split the wood fine (about the size of your wrist) and add a draft blower. That size i would guess would need about 150-200 cfm but you would want a speed control or just a simple damper on the intake air for the blower to get it tuned just right. Have the fire grates at maybe 12-14" below the pan and try sealing the gap with fire brick, refractory cement and ceramic gasket as a final seal. But most of all have fun doing it, many of us started where you are now. The addiction grows from there.

mcgeec
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks. Great advice.