PDA

View Full Version : Alternate crop in sugarbushes

nas
10-23-2011, 06:40 PM
My brother sent me this link and I think it looks interesting. Hazelnuts in the sugarbush. Anybody see this done?
http://www.umoncton.ca/umce-foresterie/files/umce-foresterie/wf/wf/pdf/GTHazelnut.pdf

Nick

GramaCindy
10-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Funny thing Nas, I am constantly cutting down the hazelnut brush in our bush. It is invasive here and only produces very small nuts. The worms and critters usually get to them before they are ripe. Another cultivar might be better, but none for me thank You.

Bruce L
10-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Would this not attract more squirrels into your bush,hence more damage from them and their predators that would follow them in?

nas
10-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I still think it is something I would like to try. GramaCindy are you sure it is the same species of tree? These would be a native to Europe. As to the squirrel problem, I think I already attract all the local squirrels in with all the Hickory and Walnut I have so it can't get a whole lot worse. My 12yo son has his eye:evil: on a 20ga jr870 so those squirrels better watch out.:o;)

red maples
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Squireels and deer are the alternate crop :)

lastwoodsman
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
The corylus she is refering to is a native plant common throughout MN and WI. Corlyus Americana (American Hazel) and Corylus cornuta (Beaked Hazelnut). They are called buckbrush and hazelbrush around here. In the wild the squirrels and chipmunks along with grubs because of not spraying take there toll on edible fruit.

Corylus Americana is a common nursery plant sold in many areas. Like many plants they have never been cultivated much in in the mid-west. There are beginning to be a few corylus orchards being trialed in the area now. There are currently red leafed cultivars now becoming available because of their ornamental value.

Like any spieces under cultivation they need to be sprayed, watered, fertilized and pruned to produce a consistant and viable crop.

These are not like the Corylus prodcued in Oregon that is a major nut crop only produced there and Turkey. These a large trees reach 20-25 feet and 12 inches at the stump.
Woodsman

GramaCindy
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
I still think it is something I would like to try. GramaCindy are you sure it is the same species of tree? These would be a native to Europe. As to the squirrel problem, I think I already attract all the local squirrels in with all the Hickory and Walnut I have so it can't get a whole lot worse. My 12yo son has his eye:evil: on a 20ga jr870 so those squirrels better watch out.:o;)
and my husband Tim bought me a nice new 410 for our 32nd anniversary~!:lol:

nas
10-24-2011, 08:10 PM
and my husband Tim bought me a nice new 210 for our 32nd anniversary~!:lol:
What a coincidence. I was just looking at a nice 410/22 over under for my wife's birthday:). Of course she doesn't hunt, so I will have to use if:lol:
Lastwoodsman, thanks for the info. The hazelnuts referred to in the link are mostly hybrids selected to grow as shrubs. They are usually pruned into small trees so they are easier to pick. I do realize that they require some work but I would like to try it nonetheless. It will be more of a hobby experiment than anything else.

Nick

Mitch Hoyt
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Has anyone thought of planting Ginseng inside the confines of the suger bush besides me? I do not know what the rules are for purchasing the seeds and planting them in the wild. I do know that it fetches a fine price for the wild grown stuff. Plant some seeds and let it grow for 3 years or so and dig roots. Any thoughts on that for a alternate crop? Goldenseal may be another option? I remember going into the woods with my dad and finding wild patches in the fall and harvesting the roots on the mature plants and replanting the seeds right there.

Mitch Hoyt

C.Wilcox
11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Mitch- That's an interesting idea, but if it's considered wild you have to abide by the state rules for harvesting and that doesn't seem all that profitable given your effort to plant and harvest it. If you can prove it's actually a cultivated stand of ginseng and therefore falls under the agricultural crop rules do you lose your "wild" status?

Mitch Hoyt
11-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I have not actually done this. It is just a though that I have had for the last 5 years. Never looked into doing it seriously yet just one of those ideas that sit in the back of the mind. When I read this threat I though I would just throw it out there for discussion. Weather wild grown or cultivated I would think you could make money on the crop. I do not think there is anything differnt regarding cultivated and wild ginseng except the fact that the stuff grown in the wild has a greater concentration of the "good stuff" becaue you are not growing 10 roots in a 12 inch area. I could be off on that but it gives someone something to think about. I do realize it would not be as easy as walking around your woods dropping seeds here and there. You have to take the time to plant each seed and all in all it would take some time. This is just my 2 cents.

Mitch Hoyt
Sales Man
MP&C

25 taps on bags in my back yard.
Would like to grow some but the
wife and kids need to be involved
since the wheelchair does not
get around in the snow very well.

Made 6 quarts of Gold on my stove in the house last year.
Gave the rest of my sap to my father in law.

Michael Greer
02-08-2015, 12:02 PM
If you love working in the woods, do it...do it all. I have a tiny forest out back. The north edge is wet, and I have planted some super-sweet silvers there. Around them is a huge stand of Fiddlehead Fern that we harvest every year. The west edge has a very productive Blackberry patch,and most of them end up in the freezer. I'm looking into planting mushrooms in the deep shade in the middle, and there are a couple of very nice red oaks that will yield some good sawlogs in a few years. A sugarbush of any size might also provide some income from firewood over the years. The point is, every bit of this is more fun than going to work every day.