PDA

View Full Version : Dump tank to Feed Tank question

northwoods_forestry
10-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi Folks,

To avoid pumping sap up to my feed tank last year I set up a dump station uphill from the sugarhouse and ran 40' of 1.5" pvc on a 5% grade to the feed tank (top of the feed tank is about 8' above ground level). I hung the pvc on 9 guage wire and it worked great, for a while...The pvc on wire eventually sagged (despite wire tensioners on both ends), didn't drain completely and ended up freezing and blocking the pipe.

Any advice on a better support than the wire or should I consider keeping the wire and replacing the pvc with 1.5" mainline?

Thanks for the help!

PARKER MAPLE
10-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi Northwoods,

I have used 1in schedual 40 white plastic before. Just have to buy the fitting and cement them together. I think they came in 10ft lengths. Its a little more ridged then the black pipe and I think it withstands the cold weather better. I have had to take a torch in the past to warm up the pipe to thaw out the ice. Just an idea.

Maple Rookie

markct
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
i remember seeing a sugarhouse in vt with 4 inch pvc for the dump line from a road up above the sugarhouse, ran maybe 50ft to the second floor of sugarhouse, had about 5/16 or 3/8 cable to support it, but was in a slight sag, kinda like a suspension bridge, and the pipe was wired to it at 3ft of so intervals, of different lengths so the so the pipe was straight even tho the cable had a droop to it

northwoods_forestry
10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies Rookie and Mark. Guess I'll stick with the 1.5" sch 40 pvc and get creative with the wiring!

3rdgen.maple
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
When I had that same type setup with 1 1/2 pvc I built a wooden trough to set the pipe in. Worked very well. Is the wire your using High Tensile wire. That should have little stretch to it.