PDA

View Full Version : The Right Size Evaporator?

wildoats
10-22-2011, 06:53 AM
I would love to get input on evaporator size. I am looking into purchasing an evaporator for the first time, and have been looking into both 2x4 and 2x6. Most of the 2x6 evaporators show a range of 50-250 taps. I am only expecting to have 60-100 taps total. Is it possible that a 2x6 will be larger than I want.
Thanks for your advice
Michael

Brent
10-22-2011, 07:41 AM
From memory of when I had a 2 x 6, it required about 45 gallons to flood it before you could light the fire. A decent day will often only give you 1 gallon per day per tree and a good 2 x 6 will boil off that in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. The best days give you more and lots will give you less. Also depends on if you are using buckets or a vacuum line. So you could have a bit of over kill with a full featured 2 x 6. Leader's WSE has smaller and few flews so it does not need so much sap and it could be worth looking at. Patrick Phaneuf has a new 2 x 4 rig that is very economical and sounds like it might be a good fit.

See http://www.maplesyrupevaporators.com/ If you go with him, order early.

BUT The major issue is nearly all of us face is expansion. If 100 or so is you max then you're OK. But if there are another 100 trees available, you'll find it nearly impossible to resist punching holes in them ... then a full 2 x 6 is what you'll need. The sugaring bug is highly contagious and very difficult to get rid of.

BobU
10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Right you are Brent (Maple Addict) the "sugaring bug" is very contagious.
Don't think having a slightly oversized rig is as big a problem as an undersized one.
I remember thinking every time I upsized, that the new rig would be all I'd ever need (want?), So far I've thought that 5 times. (and counting):)

SevenCreeksSap
10-22-2011, 01:49 PM
[ But if there are another 100 trees available, you'll find it nearly impossible to resist punching holes in them ... then a full 2 x 6 is what you'll need. The sugaring bug is highly contagious and very difficult to get rid of.[/QUOTE]

Believe this statement. I see trees going down the road and always scheming how can I tap those. My wife has to talk me down from the tree. I was going to get a 2x4 but instead "pre-expanded" with a 2x8. didnt take much to talk me into it. Just look at everyone's signature lines and see what happens to you.

red maples
10-22-2011, 02:00 PM
if your not planning on going any bigger than 100 taps I would recommend maybe a lapierre 18" x 60" here is the maple guys link on this particular model by lapierre. it is rated for 50 -150 taps probably just what you need. and your not even that far from him.

http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?item=121&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapleguys.com%2Findex.php%3Fp age%3D1%26category%3D27

michiganfarmer2
10-22-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a 2x6. Drop flue. I got about 30 gph evaporation rate. If you plan to NEVER have more than 200 or 300 taps, they are fine. I guess they are fine as a beginner evaporator. Mine was welded stainless. I bought it new, used it 3 years, and sold it for what I piad for it.

michiganfarmer2
10-22-2011, 10:03 PM
but then again, I hear of guys using them with an RO, and making a few hundred gallons of syrup too....