PDA

View Full Version : oil tank boiler

armsview
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I am making a oil tank evaporator , because my pan is wider than the width of the tank i have to built it on it's flat side. My old boiler was a round 250 gal tank I filled the whole tank under the pan with wood, but i see a lot of evaporators here that have the front portion of the tank for a fire box and the back portion either slopes to the stack or is a step with a small space under the pan to the stack. So my questions are is a slope or a step better and how much space between the pan and the bottom? Should the bottom be brick lined? Any pictures of this type of boiler would be appreciated. thanks Armsview

10-21-2011, 02:46 PM
There is a search feature on here and there are tons of posts about them by the seven creeks sap did an awesome job on his.

rookie
10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
how wide is your pan? one thing i have seen doon is the oiltank "V"s at the top fromtwo feet to the width of the pan. and then all you have to do is fill in the front and back where it has been sliced to be V-ed out. hope this makes sence

rookie
10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
\ /
U the front of the oil tank would look like this

SevenCreeksSap
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
There was an older thread on here that another sugarer has his tank on the side also. I think he uses 3 or 4 deep pans and ladles forward. Looks like it works, it just seems like your firebox will be wider than it is tall. Might want to build it on legs or blocks or your back will break loading it all day ( this coming from a not -so-young-anymore- guy with back issues)

armsview
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the advice all well taken and appreciated

rookie
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
There was an older thread on here that another sugarer has his tank on the side also. I think he uses 3 or 4 deep pans and ladles forward. Looks like it works, it just seems like your firebox will be wider than it is tall. Might want to build it on legs or blocks or your back will break loading it all day ( this coming from a not -so-young-anymore- guy with back issues)

I just went back and fond the post you are talking about its listed as "275 gallon fuel oil drum evaporator" i placed a post to bring it to the new comments page if Armsview want to see it