PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pumps

warners point
10-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good bilge pump for transfering sap. I was looking at Cabelas and they have a couple of brands, Rule and also Johnson. I figure I should get one that does at least 800 gph.

tuckermtn
10-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Search through back posts. If your pumping much vertically you need a bigger pump as they are not ment for a lot of head height. I have a rule 2000 in a hitch dump station. Pump good, switch bad

lastwoodsman
10-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Northern Tool --40.00-60.00 will buy you one that on 110 that will serve your needs for a couple of years very well.
I had no problems withit the first year. I do keep a spare on hand.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792

woodsman

Father & Son
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
It really depends on the application. A 12v bilg pump is good for dump stations on the back of a pickup, it can be plugged into trailer wiring plug. I know quite a few people that use Rule pumps in the 1500-2000 gph range. You can find these for a good price on ebay. If there is electricity available sump pumps are used by many. I have to transfer from a tank in the woods to my pickup and use a 1" gas powered pump similar to a Tanaka like this one listed below.

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Pacer-PAC25-Water-Pump/p6761.html

Jim

Bucket Head
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I have a Rule 3700, I think, and I love it. I used to have a 12volt reciculation-type pump on my truck dumping station, but this Rule pumps much faster! I also have two, 1" gas engined pumps. One is a two-stoke and the other is a four-stroke. Both are great and have given great service. However, the four-stroke is a little quieter so its easier on the ears. And not having to mix the gas and oil is nice too.

Steve

adk1
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
so if you needed to pump from a dump tank, up into a head tank, you would want to use a submersable pump? What would be a decent pump to pump from a dump tank up to a head tank?

whalems
10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
I use a 1/2 hp 110v sump pump from tractor supply. worked good for me last season.

Amber Gold
12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm looking to put a dump station on my truck to collect buckets. Is a 2000 gph pump needed? I was thinking about running a wire from the battery to the dump station with an inline fuse, but what size wire should I run? How are you guys building the dump station and mounting it to the truck? I was thinking of a 5 gal pail bolted to the hitch.

F&S-How did you plug your bilge pump into the trailer harness?

Thanks

NH Maplemaker
12-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Josh , Most just use the same type male plug that fits your reciver female plug ! They only use the hot lead and a ground lead to power the pump. Also the dump stations I have seen use a hafe of Blue or white food grade barrel with pump in the bottom! Jim L.

PS. Sugarmaker had post and pictures of his but I can't seem to find them! Maybe you would have better luck.

boondocker
12-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I am a marine tech and i can tell you that a 800-1500 gph Rule pump will push a long way, atleast 20ft. but with that said i use a rv style water pump. i cant remember the gph but it works perfect. i built a little wooden box and mounted it right inside of it with a motorcycle battery so its portable. food for thought........p....

NH Maplemaker
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Josh, look at www.desjardinsmaple.com go to our pictures, go down to the bottom. There is a picture of his dump station.

Bucket Head
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
I built a frame that holds a cut-down plastic 55gal. barrel, that has a section of square tube that goes into the receiver hitch. My Rule 3700 or 3800 (I forget which it is) goes in the barrel. I opted to run a dedicated harness from the battery with an inline fuse back to the dumping station. I figured it would be safer that way. I did'nt need the pump to have a problem of some sort and cause a light failure on the truck. Its one thing to have a pump problem, its another thing when you can't pump sap and you can't get home because you cooked something on the hauler too. I forget now what size wire I went with, but I went with a size or two up from what the pump had coming out of it. That way I knew I'd be safe drawing whatever amps/volts the pump required from one end of the truck to the other. I have had no trouble with my set up and have never blown a fuse either.

Steve

maple flats
12-09-2012, 07:25 AM
What is the amp draw on the pump you will use? With that info and the length the wire will be I can tell you what gauge to use.

Amber Gold
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Dave, to give you a range, the Rule 500 draws 1.9A, the 800 draws 2.8A, and the 1100 draws 3.3A. I'm not sure which I'd go with. Info below. The site below lists a fuse rating for each pump. Do the pumps come with a fuse built into it? This would alleviate the need for an in-line fuse. I have enough 24 ga wire to make a run from the battery to the hitch, but is this going to be big enough? How many amps can you draw through trailer plug?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_34101_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=34101&cid=sc_googlepla&gclid=CM7xms2ljrQCFYKK4AodAxIAPw

Yes Jim, I understand that. I wasn't sure what others were using for dumping stations. One of those platforms with a tank mounted to it like Jims, or if they'd built something to mount to the receiver.

Thanks Steve. I can't weld, but could build one out of wood.

heus
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Get one of those deer carriers that mount to the receiver hitch.

tuckermtn
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Josh- I would suggest the 2000 gph Rule as a minimum. But some would depend on if you have one person dumping in to the dump station or two. If two, you want to have more GPM. mine is a 55 gal clear barrel cut in half and mounted in a little metal cradle I had fabricated. It goes in to the truck receiver hitch. And I use the 4 way flat wire (think its 18 ga wire) and have an inline blade fuse in a little water proof housing. Plan on making a second dump station this season - this one for the Tacoma- to go along with the one that goes on the f-350.

Tweegs
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I work for an automotive O.E.M in electronics R&D.

24 ga. wire is too light for that app. Go at least 14 ga (assuming a 15’ run).
In the automotive world, the fuse is not for protecting the component, but rather the wire. Too large a fuse for a particular wire size can result in a “thermal incident”.

A fuse rated smaller than the wire’s capacity is a non-issue.

Place your fuse as close to the battery as possible.

Our standard 4 prong trailer tow harnesses are rated to comfortably handle 7 amps.

warners point
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I got a 1200 gph bilge pump last year. It worked, but you loose a lot of gph if you are lifting the sap even a few feet. I've thought about trying an above ground pool pump. Anyone ever used one??

NH Maplemaker
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
any of you guys still looking for a bilge pump for sap dump station ! I just saw this on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propump-3700-Gph-Marine-Bilge-Pump-with-Float-Switch-/380487382141?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5896d0b47d&vxp=mtr

tuckermtn
12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
that is a very good deal...would reccomend anyone looking at these buy a second float switch to have on hand for back-up.

Bucket Head
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Never heard of Propump, but it looks just like my Rule 3700...

You'll be happy with that. And mine does fine pumping from the dump station up into the cage tank in the back of the truck. Thats about 5.5, if not six feet high.

Steve