PDA

View Full Version : Im lost with the new site

Haynes Forest Products
10-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Im out out of here its to confusing for me.

I got a HTC Droid and I think stupid people like me should be made to have a 14 day waiting period befor getting one.

jmayerl
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Hang in there haynes..... I got a new HTC smart phone alittle over a month ago and couldn't figure it out. After 2 weeks I don't know how I lived without it. Just make sure to have an extra battery around cause they run out after a few hours.

Bucket Head
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I liked the old site better too. The fonts and contrast in colors made the old site easier to read.

Steve

lew
10-19-2011, 04:57 AM
I agree buckethead. Much more difficult to read.

Gary R
10-19-2011, 05:34 AM
I agree also. When looking at the threads, it is just very "busy". The dark green also makes it harder to read the print. I do like the actual posts. The font is bigger and easy to read.

Tommy Sunshine
10-19-2011, 05:45 AM
I agree also. When looking at the threads, it is just very "busy". The dark green also makes it harder to read the print. I do like the actual posts. The font is bigger and easy to read.

Well the one thing we cannot use is the old sites style. 3.x vbulletin styles are incompatible with 4.x vbulletin. So All I can do is spend the time trying to get a forum you do like. And its been many hours so far.

I'll keep working at it till we get it looking good.

--Tommy

maplefarmer
10-19-2011, 05:47 AM
I also agree, too hard to read, and I always check classifieds first, is it now the trader section, or still listing some on the temp. classified. maybe time will tell.

lastwoodsman
10-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Ah how people hate change---
Its a vast improvement.
Woodsman

red maples
10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
It is a little busy. I hate updates as well but give it a little time you'll get used to it. I think it looks purty when you first look at it. but the darker green boarder do make it a little hard to read don't know if there is a lighter color that you could use something a little less bold to pull your eye away from what you are reading. your eyes should draw to the forum list but they are drawn to the edges!!! and the dark brown strips in the threads.

DrTimPerkins
10-19-2011, 07:54 AM
For those who don't like the new style and functionality -- I suggest stop paying for your subscription in protest. ;^)

To the list owners and moderators -- thank you for all you do to make this forum such a wonderful resource.

xyz5150
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Im out out of here its to confusing for me.

I got a HTC Droid and I think stupid people like me should be made to have a 14 day waiting period befor getting one.

You are way ahead of me my phone is just one step better that a soup can and a string, i guess thats why i like to make maple syrup. KISS

cvmaple
10-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Give it a little time, I think we'll get used to it. I'm computer illiterate as well.

red maples
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Good point!!!

For those who don't like the new style and functionality -- I suggest stop paying for your subscription in protest. ;^)

To the list owners and moderators -- thank you for all you do to make this forum such a wonderful resource.

maple flats
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I also don't like it, yet. I will likely get used to it in time. Old dogs can't learn new tricks very quickly, if at all.

Mike in NY
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
I do not see the improvement, usually when you change it is for the better.
But I am happy,just bought a milkhouse (contents) 430 gallon bullk tank,reciever jar and a big ss milkhous sink. 400$ was a good deal

danno
10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Is there a thread going where we can let admin know of any problems we are seeing with the change over, or is this that thread?

I don't know if it's just my computer, but on the PM page, the command boxes are blank, or if not blank, the subtext may be hidden. I'm talking about the "send" box in particular. Just a heads up. Actually, I just noticed that the command boxes for threads are blank as well, just all white. I'm assuming the box on the left is "send". Here goes nothing ...

palmer4th
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm more lost then when facebook rolled out their new site!

GramaCindy
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I for one like the brown color now. It's much easier to read. Thanks Tommy!

Tommy Sunshine
10-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I for one like the brown color now. It's much easier to read. Thanks Tommy!

Thanks Grama ;) I'm tryin to pull it all together. There is like at least 1000 different color settings...

Tommy Sunshine
10-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Is there a thread going where we can let admin know of any problems we are seeing with the change over, or is this that thread?

I don't know if it's just my computer, but on the PM page, the command boxes are blank, or if not blank, the subtext may be hidden. I'm talking about the "send" box in particular. Just a heads up. Actually, I just noticed that the command boxes for threads are blank as well, just all white. I'm assuming the box on the left is "send". Here goes nothing ...

There are a few threads I'm following, this is one... I'm trying to work on everything I see and I didn't know about the problems you mentioned, just notice and on it. Not sure if you need to refresh, but I noticed some weird stuff on pm page... I'll put it on the list hehe... Thanks.

Tommy Sunshine
10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I do not see the improvement, usually when you change it is for the better.
But I am happy,just bought a milkhouse (contents) 430 gallon bullk tank,reciever jar and a big ss milkhous sink. 400$ was a good deal

Maybe we'll win ya over just yet. Give me direction and I'll go if I can!

Bucket Head
10-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't hate change, and I certainly had no plans of cancelling my subscription over this. I just preferred the colors and type of the old site. Thats all. I was not being unappreciative of the host or moderators efforts.

Steve

red maples
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
colors getting better a little better to see stuff like it but pink really??? haha what ever works

lew
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Color change made things definitely easier to read. Thanks.

GramaCindy
10-19-2011, 05:37 PM
colors getting better a little better to see stuff like it but pink really??? haha what ever works
PINK???? You must be seeing the world through "ROSE COLORED GLASSES" Red Maples!

wiam
10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
I like the colors better today. Still hard to read the "reply with quote" line.

murferd
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Getting better. Just a couple of things. Logging in is still a bit confusing, I think I'm logged in & then it says the site is offline, hit the back button & go to the forum button & I'm on. Also, how do know what posts are new & which are read? What do the red & blue envelopes mean?

KenWP
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I have spent hours trying to get on this last night and tonight. The facebook gizmo keeps getting in the way so I can't log in. There is so much on the site now I can look for a few seconds and then it freezes the computer and I have to soft boot out. I also post and it tells me I am not logged in and posts anyways.
last night it kept telling me it was offline and that it was test posts.

KenWP
10-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I see a nice salmon colour.

spud
10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
I hate this new set up. It took me a year just to figure out the old site. Why the change? I posted my rig for sale the other day and i still don't know how i did it. I get cross eyed just looked at the screen. Is it possible for you to make this site user friendly so stupid people like me can join in?

Spud

lastwoodsman
10-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Greatly improved site, easier to use. Nice to see it being maintained so well.
Keep us on the cutting edge
More than my money's worth.
Keep up the good work Tommy.
Woodsman

red maples
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
better color skeam (sp?) much easier to read thanks!!!
I don't know what everyone is complaining about it almost the same some new stuff added like the picture forum, there new classified section is organized which I like over the old one because if your looking for a evap click there looking for an RO click there. It'll get there just a matter of working out the bugs like every up grade an learning the system !!!! just like learning a new evap ot learn to use and RO you'll figure it out sooner or later!!!

whalems
10-20-2011, 07:47 AM
I agree red maples. easy to read. easy to navigate. and seems to be very organized. Photo's are very easy to upload. and I like the new sections in the classifieds.

Rockwood
10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Love the changes, would like to see and Ipad / Iphone app though.

NH/Pete
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Getting better every day.

heus
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
It may not seem like a big change for some, but those who are "addicted" to this site are having a harder time adjusting. It will take some time but I will get used to it, I guess.

Tommy Sunshine
10-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Love the changes, would like to see and Ipad / Iphone app though.
I've been pushing for this as well.

christopherh
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I like everything so far. Highlighting the headlines in the Home page under "Last Post"would be nice. Thanks, Chris

Greenwich Maple Man
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
To be honest I like how the new site looks. Have not had the time to look through it yet nor do I think I will. Everything takes so long to download. The old sight I clicked on it and up it came. Now I sit here waiting and waiting. I know some probebly have newer computers but the site should be setup so everybody can use and enjoy it. I never had a problem with the old site. Now the new one freezes up and takes forever. Sorry Tommy but I think it has been ruined at least for me.

rookie
10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
its weird how some people like tho colors, and others hate it, I personaly DISLIKE the colors, i also find it hard to read and have to look away from the screen, tommy can we give some of the other schemes a try? again not complaining just suggesting

heus
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Why can't we have the new format with the old color scheme?

3rdgen.maple
10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
This powdery pink color that looks like my wifes mascara , if thats what its called takes away from my internet manliness. Im just saying.

holey_bucket
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
This powdery pink color that looks like my wifes mascara , if thats what its called takes away from my internet manliness. Im just saying.

HA! A funny guy...
Somewhere I posted about some glitches - some buttons appearing in weird spots (Android phone browsing), and the speed of loading. I have since determined that for me (on my phone) the speed of the pages loading is at least as good as t'were before. I love the new classified section, it's nice to head right to evaporators if that's all I want to look at. Well done. I haven't had time to toy with posting a classified ad, so I'm curious to see if an ad can be set up to operate auction-style? That would be the cat's meow.

I don't really have a problem with the colors. As long as they're in the visible light spectrum, I suppose it's good. Just like politics and religion, you can NEVER make everyone happy.

Keep up the good work, Tommy. "Like a constipated math teacher, work it out with a pencil."

rookie
10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Why can't we have the new format with the old color scheme?

AMEN, (theres your religion for ya)

Haynes Forest Products
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
See that I got a private message today from a fellow trader. The reason I can see that I got a message is because I got an Email telling me that I did. I went to the trader to read it but couldnt see any place that mentioned Private messages so I would like to say I have lost the passion for the trader in its current form..............NOW Im not mad or being pissy its just my ADD-ADDHD-ADDHDTV and all sorts of things kick in along with the hot flashes I get from my high blood pressure and colestrol meds makes it unlikly I can change.

I would like to say thanks to all and say if anyone would like to talk about Maple Syrup just call me at 303 810-5501 Chuck HFP

Tommy Sunshine
10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
the very top of screen by your name it says, notifications. This is one way to get to your private messages. Another is to visit your profile. I'll open it up to style change by users to the default vbulletin style but the old style is incompatible with the present version of vbulletin.

At the bottom of page you'll see a selector box which says the name of current theme, Maple or vb4 Default style. I've been searching for more, but haven't seen much which is warm and pleasant... But I actually like this default style, I'm using it now hehe...

Tommy Sunshine
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
the very top of screen by your name it says, notifications. This is one way to get to your private messages. Another is to visit your profile. I'll open it up to style change by users to the default vbulletin style but the old style is incompatible with the present version of vbulletin.

At the bottom of page you'll see a selector box which says the name of current theme, Maple or vb4 Default style. I've been searching for more, but haven't seen much which is warm and pleasant... But I actually like this default style, I'm using it now hehe...

Try out the new leafy style... Its nice too!

Maplewalnut
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Gave it some time but still not digging new site. Took me three times to log in this morning before it would let me reply to a thread. Response box comes up but its all greyed out and cant type in it. Definitely dont like the color scheme, wife even commeneted when I logged on the other night. Header is too busy with multiple font sizes, your eyes wonder eveywhere but focus no where

Tommy Sunshine
10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Gave it some time but still not digging new site. Took me three times to log in this morning before it would let me reply to a thread. Response box comes up but its all greyed out and cant type in it. Definitely dont like the color scheme, wife even commeneted when I logged on the other night. Header is too busy with multiple font sizes, your eyes wonder eveywhere but focus no where

In regards to taking you three times to log in... Make sure you clear your browser history in regards to the site, wipe out them cookies and you should be all set. If it works for one in regards to logging in, it will work for all unless your browser is floating some old history or cookies pointing to other ip's.

In regards to the looks of the site, try out the new themes, perhaps one will better suit your preferences. Now there are 4 themes you can choose from.

To choose your theme just scroll all the way down to the bottom of any page and you should see a toolbar with the name of the current theme, either vb4 default, maple, leafy, or greeny. Just select one and try out the various ones. I'll keep looking for new ones and seeing if we can find something for everyone...

Even you :)

Take care,

--Tommy

Josh Nickles
10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Tommy, you might not know it, and you might not care enough about syrup production, but losing Chuck as a member would be a significant loss for us all. I've taken his advise hundreds of times and look forward to his posts. I am also concerned that I haven't seen Jim Schumacher around at all either. Losing these people as members can be considered to be a catastrophic loss and they are sure to be huge assets to a different site should one ever come along. Just a thought from a different angle.

Josh

Tommy Sunshine
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Tommy, you might not know it, and you might not care enough about syrup production, but losing Chuck as a member would be a significant loss for us all. I've taken his advise hundreds of times and look forward to his posts. I am also concerned that I haven't seen Jim Schumacher around at all either. Losing these people as members can be considered to be a catastrophic loss and they are sure to be huge assets to a different site should one ever come along. Just a thought from a different angle.

Josh

I don't understand why you would think I would want to lose anyone as a member of the trader? I'm putting in major time trying to accomodate everyone.

lastwoodsman
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Tommy Sunshine you are doing a great job. As far as Jim Schumacker, I would bet he is so busy he does not have the time to surf this page as we do.
Like I said no one likes change. You are the expert keep doing what your doing. You can't possibly make everyone happy nor should you try.
Woodsman

western mainer
10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
In firefox web you can't see New post and the private message box at all because it is over run with other words. And in the new ads it doesn't show that there are new ones the blue box does light up. And one last thing, It may be my eyes but when there's a new topic the blue color is hard to see when the old is gray. other than that it's great.
Brian

rookie
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
All right no more complaining from me this color works for me (light blue I guess). i dont have to look awy from the screen. thanks tommy

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I like the LEAFY style

wiam
10-24-2011, 08:10 PM

I had trouble logging in until I deleted my bookmark and saved a new one.

Bruce L
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
I find I have to log in again everytime i come to the site,even tough I check the box "remember me"

wiam
10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
I find I have to log in again everytime i come to the site,even tough I check the box "remember me"

I did also with my old bookmark, now it remembers me but I had to save a new "Maple trader" in my favorites

Tommy Sunshine
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
In firefox web you can't see New post and the private message box at all because it is over run with other words. And in the new ads it doesn't show that there are new ones the blue box does light up. And one last thing, It may be my eyes but when there's a new topic the blue color is hard to see when the old is gray. other than that it's great.
Brian

This is due to the screen resolution. at 800x600 it will do that I've noticed.

I'll try and make a style which will work at 800x600. Right now 1024 is the lowest that works I think.

KenWP
10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Glad we can change colours.I hate green but like the pink,orange,salmon colour. Now I just have to figure out all the other gadgets. my first VCR was reel to reel so I learn slow.