PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any ideas on how to make a Installation Tool?

MapleLady
02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm looking for a plan on how to make a tubing installation tool. Have some bad hand problems this year and know that I won't be able to fix lines or install new ones. Saw one of these scissor style tools with a double line holder on it and wondered how hard it would be to make. Any help would be appreciated!

Deb

royalmaple
02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
I can send you some pics of mine if you like. Two pair of vise grips and some light fab work and you'd have one. Especially if you were looking for function and not something pretty.

Take a look at my pics and see the nice finger close call with the tool. Still a ()*_* trying to type 1 week later.

After I paid basically 200 for one, I studied it and said " I could make this". But hard to make schematics and measure the thing at a dealers store.

MapleLady
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
That would be great. Since I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis I'll take any help I can get. It doesn't have to be pretty :D . Ouch your finger sure looks like it hurt I'll definitely keep mine out of the way.

Deb

royalmaple
02-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Picture does not do it justice (cut that is). At an angle from my nail to tip, it sheered the side/tip of my finger clean off, right down into the meat.

Oh and yeah it does hurt.

I'll take some pics and upload them to the picture service fo you and anyone else to look at.

maple flats
02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I have the "pro made unit" that is not pretty, weld spatter, sloppy looking welds and quite crude but it does work. Mine is not the parallel model. Don't know how much easier they would be BUT as crude as mine looks it does the job quite well. It would be simple to make if you have the measurements.

MapleLady
02-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks to everyone Matt and Maple Flats for their help. If someone has a good design please email me with it as I am mechanically challenged and will have to have hubby build it.

Jay
02-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Royalmaple,I did the same thing 2 months ago to my left thumb, was cutting a piece of tubbing to insulate a tree from the main line wire and it slipped out of my hand and the knife kept going. From the bottom of my nail on the palm side up to the tip I took off, kinda fillet off. When it happened there was alot of snow on the ground and with all the blood I didnt find the piece until the next day. When I went to the hospital they said there was nothing they could do. I know how you feel. Jay

royalmaple
02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Jay-

Yeah it sucks, I had my latteral line real tight, and I was cutting into the latteral line to add a tee and drop line along the latteral line.

Gripped the tool loosly with my left hand and cut line with my right hand. Well as you can imagine the tension on the line was transferred into the tool and it sprung open like a rocket. Finger was in the way and was cut with the tong part, not even near the blade. Tip got caught inbetween the scissor action of the tongs and if you look at yours there aint much of a gap between the tongs. Rest is history.

Live and learn. I now hold onto the tool with my left hand like the winning powerball ticket!!

brookledge
02-26-2006, 07:25 AM
As with anything If you have the time and the equipment to make it, it is going to be cheaper to build your own. I bought my two hand style years ago for under 100 now they run 175 ish. I will say this that they save you alot of time in the woods. I would not go without one now.
I did modify mine by adding a spring on the blade to keep it away from my fingers.
Keith

Jim Brown
02-26-2006, 08:09 AM
When we were talking about installing tubing our supplier said "do you want to spend a couple of hunderd dollars on a tool or use that same money to incease taps" we chose that tapps. He showed us that you find a stanley themos with the flip top opening and the 5/16 tubing will fit right thur the hole. You then fill the themos with BOILING WATER and screw on the lid. You flip open the top when you need to make a connection and stick the tubing in the HOT water. for a few seconds (too long and it will become to soft and kink) and it will slide together like hot butter.When you need to make main line connection just unscrew the stopper and stick the end in the thermos.

smitty76
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
mayplelady, take to dennish, he has built a few of them and seems to know what he is talking about. he has some he can show you as well.

good luch and have fun, Smitty76

3rdgen.maple
01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Smitty I think you are like 4 years late. lol

smitty76
01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
my bad, did not look at the date. it has been a long day.

3rdgen.maple
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I know how you feel but I am willing to bet you just revived an old thread. lol