PDA

View Full Version : Stack Exit

RC Maple
10-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I am almost done sheeting my roof on my 14x14 shack. Soon I will be trying to make a hole to run the smoke stack through. I do have a cupola planned for the middle of the roof so I would like to have my evaporator right in the middle. My evaporator is small - 2x2, and I only have a 6" stack. I see a lot of pictures with stacks going up right through the ridge and I also see some stacks with a jog in them. My question: It would seem to be easier to go out on the side of the ridge, is it worth putting a jog in the stack or setting the evaporator just off center or should I go right through the ridge( 24" centered rafters)?

adk1
10-17-2011, 06:01 AM
I am almost done sheeting my roof on my 14x14 shack. Soon I will be trying to make a hole to run the smoke stack through. I do have a cupola planned for the middle of the roof so I would like to have my evaporator right in the middle. My evaporator is small - 2x2, and I only have a 6" stack. I see a lot of pictures with stacks going up right through the ridge and I also see some stacks with a jog in them. My question: It would seem to be easier to go out on the side of the ridge, is it worth putting a jog in the stack or setting the evaporator just off center or should I go right through the ridge( 24" centered rafters)?

I do not believe that you need to have the evap perfectly centered under the copula. I have been in alot of sugarhouses where the evap was not centered. MIne will be offset alittle. I plan on having my stack go up through just off the ridge.

seclark
10-17-2011, 07:09 AM
My stack offsets and I have no problems with it.Just as long as the stack is high enough for a good draft you will be fine.It will be a lot easier to seal than the ridge exit.

RC Maple
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm glad to hear about not having to be centered under the cupola. It won't have to be offset very much. The home improvement store people seemed to have a plan for exiting on the roof slope but not through the ridge. I've got a 6/12 roof pitch with 8 ft walls. How high would I have to run the stack out for a good draft?

adk1
10-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Your stack should be 2x the length of your evap. In your case, I dont think it will matter. Depending on where the stack is in repation to the copula and the prevailing winds, you may want it to be above the copula.