PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a flue pan in Montpelier, VT area

mtndg
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for setting up a great forum with lots of help for newbies like me. I got an old bathtub for 15 bucks last season, sectioned it with an angle grinder and welded a firebox with my MIG. Used a lobster pot and finished 3 gallons inside!!!! What an experience. I want more, but not of the same.

I'm preparing for next season and want to make a real arch :) Money is tight and I can afford some SS but can't afford to pay a machine shop to bend and weld for me. Plus they all say go buy something from Leader, etc.

Is there anyone in the greater Montpelier/Barre VT area that has done this or has a TIG welder that I can use or maybe a friend you can put me in touch with? I have experience welding and would bring beer :)

All suggestions are welcome!

Paperman
10-16-2011, 12:55 AM
You can make the brake and bend it up cheap enough. The welding is a tough one. Most welders that are good enough to weld thin stainless well are doing it for a reason. Keep looking for the guy that wants some free syrup. Flue pans take alot of time to fit. The welding isnt to bad its the fit that takes time. I could weld 3 ends in the time it took to fit adn tack 1.

Do you have a plan for bending the sheet yet or any idea how big of a unit you are thinking?

mtndg
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about a 2x4 drop flue pan and 2x2 syrup pan.
What do you mean by fit? I saw the thread on making a brake and bending the flues, but haven't figured out how to make the rectangular pieces for the flue ends. I guess it would be best to shear them. But how does one do that without having a machine shop?

I plan on doing this over the winter, so I'm not too concerned about it taking time. Just can't afford to pay for a new or used pan...

Thanks for any more suggestions.

Paperman
10-17-2011, 12:45 AM
By fit I mean exactly that. If you are making this at home each flue will be a bit different. When welding thin stainless close is not good enough. You need to fit each end of each flue. The little fingers need to fit in with no gap. You can squeeze the sides in but the corners need to fit good or welding will suck. I you are really looking for a DIY solder the thing. Welders(people or machine) are not cheap. Solder will work just not as durable or forgiving of low sap.

b116757
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Mig weld it yourself 18 gauge 304 stainless 308 .030 or .023 wire 97% argon 3% CO2 the gas can very a little but don't go over 5% CO2 or your welds will rust and DO NOT use Trimix that the weld shop will try and sell you for stainless the helium will add a ton of extra heat you don't want in thin stainless it's good for bulkheads ect.. not pans. Over lap your outside corner butt welds 3/16" to 1/8" it makes the welding a lot easer for those that don't do it a lot by pulling the 3/16" overlap into the weld pool and preventing burn threw otherwise outside corners suck.

jasonl6
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
You could always make a drop tube pan too. Allot less fitting for them but you will have to buy the tubes.

Jason