PDA

View Full Version : Electric extractor question/booster question

jasonl6
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I am am building an electric extractor with float switches, I have it 90% done and am working on hooking it to the pump. I have heard you should T off the discharge then run a 1/2" line back to the extractor so you have vacuum on both side of the pump. What keeps this from just sucking air in from the discharge pipe. If there a check valve between the tank and the pump?

Second question. I have a ladder 1/2way through my woods and i'm considering adding a booster tank (6" sch 40 pvc) on the line just past the top of my ladder. Is there any benefit to this or is it a waste of time. My thinking is that as the ladder works this would help. To clarify the booster tank would be on the upper line past where the ladder lifts the sap up.

Thanks
jason

Brian
10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I am am building an electric extractor with float switches, I have it 90% done and am working on hooking it to the pump. I have heard you should T off the discharge then run a 1/2" line back to the extractor so you have vacuum on both side of the pump. What keeps this from just sucking air in from the discharge pipe. If there a check valve between the tank and the pump?

put in a tee on the discharge side of the pump.The end that goes to the tank needs a check valve after the tee. the other end of the tee, reduce it down and run a piece of 1/4 clear tubing back to the top of the releaser.

Haynes Forest Products
10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
My understanding is the vacuum reservoir wont help past the ladders. They say not to run the dry line past the ladders so I would assume that goes for the tank also

maplecrest
10-15-2011, 06:51 AM
the object is not to let the pump get air bound. if you have sap circulating from pump back to releaser as pump is pumping to tank. and you need a check valve in that line. or put a deep well pump in releaser. but need to drill hole in exit pipe to do the same thing. to keep pump from getting air bound.

hmaples
10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Just to add to this thread.....i have a new electric releaser and i'm getting into the plumbing and have the same issues as jasonl6. On the discharge side of the pump i have the T, from there sap is pumped through a check valve and into a holding tank(300 ft away). The other side of the T is where I am confused, I have the 1/4 inch pipe(supplied with the releaser) that hooks between the T and the top of the releaser, Is there supposed to be a check valve there too? And if so in which direction?

thank for any input

maplecrest
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
in simple terms.as pump is pumping to tank 300 feet away.it is also pumping back into releaser.so will no get air bound

HazensNotchSugarShack
11-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I had a similiar problem last year and am guessing it was caused by a leak at the bottom of the extractor. (Thread leak at high vac) If I let the vac get above 24" the pump would get air bound. I have a tee after the pump than a check valve going to sap tanks. also connected to the tee is a 1/4 inch line bask to the top of the extractor. It just blows my mind that you pay all that money for the extractor and they don't give you detailed installation instructions!