PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add a blower to a Mason 2x4

GramaCindy
10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I have tried in vain to search threads and posts for information about adding a blower to my arch. I have a Mason 2x4 and would really like to have a better plan for AUF. Last year I had good luck by using a small household pivoting fan on stationary blowing into the ash pan. It was a bit of a pain moving it everytime I had to add wood. OFTEN TOO! Any suggestions?:emb:

Jec
10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
What I did and what I will do to my new evaporator is I have a oil burner unit that I got from a local HVAC store with just the fan. They were able to give me a deal on it. But, what you can do is install it in the back of the firebox underneath the grates. That type of fan should give you enough draft without opening your doors.
Hope this helps,
Joey

RileySugarbush
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I have tried in vain to search threads and posts for information about adding a blower to my arch. I have a Mason 2x4 and would really like to have a better plan for AUF. Last year I had good luck by using a small household pivoting fan on stationary blowing into the ash pan. It was a bit of a pain moving it everytime I had to add wood. OFTEN TOO! Any suggestions?:emb:

Buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-Centrifugal-Squirrel-Cage-Duct-Fan-/290618106586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aa3062da#ht_500wt_1241

Cut a square hole in the firebox below your grates and bolt this on. It puts out over 100CFM at low pressure drop which is what you have for AUF if your stack draws pretty well. This should be pretty good on a 2x4. If you can find one a little bit bigger you would have options of adjusting air flow by blocking off the inlet, but this will work pretty well. Cheap too!

Here are the specs:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Shaded-Pole-Blower-4C006

C.Wilcox
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
GrammaCindy- did you notice the photo on Bill's website that shows a blower that's been mounted underneath the arch? It's right above the "High Output Arch" title.

I used a blower from a natural gas hot water heater mounted below the arch and just ran a piece of straight duct into the ash pit. I have holes drilled in my C-channel grates to let the air blow in to the firebox. It's not a high pressure blower so the air stream tends to be more centralized instead of spread across the entire floor in the firebox, but it still makes the flames jump when I turn it on.

RileySugarbush
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
GrammaCindy- did you notice the photo on Bill's website that shows a blower that's been mounted underneath the arch? It's right above the "High Output Arch" title.

Yeah, like that! Looks like that might be a little bigger blower.

GramaCindy
10-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, like that! Looks like that might be a little bigger blower.

No I didn't, just saw the optional blowers by themselves. Thanks guys, I will check it out. How hard do you think it would be to cut a hole in the ash pan?

RileySugarbush
10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
How hard do you think it would be to cut a hole in the ash pan?

It depends on how thick the metal is, but should be pretty doable for you. Mark off the four corners of the hole and the bolt holes. Center punch each hole center and each corner of the square hole. Drill the eight holes. Use a hand held jig saw with a metal cutting blade to cut out the square between the corner holes. This is going to be noisy and you will want a few blades. It will go faster if you have ( or borrow/rent) a sawzall reciprocating saw.

GramaCindy
10-12-2011, 06:24 PM
It depends on how thick the metal is, but should be pretty doable for you. Mark off the four corners of the hole and the bolt holes. Center punch each hole center and each corner of the square hole. Drill the eight holes. Use a hand held jig saw with a metal cutting blade to cut out the square between the corner holes. This is going to be noisy and you will want a few blades. It will go faster if you have ( or borrow/rent) a sawzall reciprocating saw.

Thank You Riley! A good friend of mine grew up on Lake Riley in Eden Prarie. Are you in that area?

RileySugarbush
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes indeed! We live on the north side of the lake on the old church camp property. That woodlot is the sugarbush for four families that live around the lake. Must be good maples here - we just won grand champion syrup at the Minnesota state fair for the second time in three years! Go figure!

Good luck with your arch modification.

GramaCindy
10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes indeed! We live on the north side of the lake on the old church camp property. That woodlot is the sugarbush for four families that live around the lake. Must be good maples here - we just won grand champion syrup at the Minnesota state fair for the second time in three years! Go figure!

Good luck with your arch modification.

WOW! AWESOME! WAY TO GO!!!! and Thank you for the modification encouragement!