PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Transfer Question

waysidemaple
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Okay here goes. My sugar house is somewhere between 5000 and 7000 feet from my releaser (the 4 wheeler trip meter says 1.1 miles but no idea on accuracy) I have the chance to pick up a 35 CFM Atlantic Fluids Ring pump with a 3 hp electric motor. Can you see where this is going? My question is I have found a spool of continuous 1 and a quater inch black pipe that is 7200 feet long. If I put this pump at the sugar house will I still get good Vac at the releaser and throughout the bush with the inch and a quater line that long.....no splices? The bush will have no more than 700 taps on it (650 to date). I know a bigger pump would be ideal and a bigger line is always better but money is always an issue....If its a tight system, which it is, will it work or no?

Thanks guys in advance.
Scott

maple flats
10-11-2011, 05:05 AM
That will do it fine. You will need to have good drainage on the vac line and a moisture trap before the pump for safety. You only need 1 cfm/100 taps if a good tight system. If you grow much larger you might need a bigger vac line but for under 1000 taps you are good. As you grow, just use a vac gauge at the far end and it vac holds good, you can grow farther, as vac starts to drop you'll want a bigger vac line.

Gary R
10-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Bigger pump is not always better. You may want to purchase the vacuum piping guide put out by Steve Childs of Cornell. It should tell you how much CFM you'd have after that distance.

waysidemaple
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. I called CDL and they say I will have 10 cfm left at the releaser after a 6000 foot run of 1 and a quarter inch pipe and it takes 8 cfm to run the releaser. Pretty much if i have any leaks im shot haha.....guess ill have to get a pretty exact measurement on distance this weekend.

Scott