PDA

View Full Version : Need a new drill

Al
10-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Just broke the clutch out of my Craftsman 19.2 volt drill. :( Proberly can't be rebuilt so now I need a new cordless drill that I will also use to tap with.
Any suggestions? I know Dewalt has several models. What's the best one for the money?
The good news is the tank stand is almost done!!!!!!! :D

mapleman3
10-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Al
for the price of a new cordless you can get a nice tanaka gas drill on ebay, I got mine for 127... unless of course you want a new cordless for everything... I have had Dewalt for years, my cordless is 18V it isawesome!! now there is 24V out there too...real strong I hear.

hehe creeping up on the posts huh!!! :wink:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Al,

I'm with Jim. I bought a Tanka on ebay and it is awesome for tapping trees. It doesn't weigh much and blows away cordless drills. I have used a dewalt cordless for years and the Tanka is the best. Get a used Tanka on ebay and go to sears when they have the 18 volts for $ 79.00. I have had a craftsman for 2 or 3 years and it is a great drill for the money.

Brandon

themapleking
10-18-2003, 07:15 PM
I have a nice 18 volt royibi drill $90 from home depot last a long time on a change. Rick ( syrupmarker) has a tanaka gas. He said he'll help me tap this year. Still trying to get him to come over and check the outfit out. He has more fun drag raceing down the 219 :lol: :wink:

michaelh05478
10-19-2003, 07:37 AM
Al, Theres a place on the suzy wilson rd in essex that fixes electric tools...But if you get another drill i'd go with a 18 volt or bigger if possible.You dont really need a tanaka for the number of trees you'll be tapping unless you plan on expanding a lot...Sears has some nice drill and i'd look at the heavy duty models for the few extra bucks.....Check the buyers digest, i see used drills in there now and then ....

Al
10-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Hi Mike, get your sugar house additions done? When's the new evaporator coming in? Looks like I'll proberly go with a 18 volt Dewault right now just because the Craftsmen I had lasted only a 24 months of normal use and tapping a total of 30 trees!!!!! Got the 275gallon tank in the sugar house now. Boy it's big once it's in. 8O Takes up 4 feet in the corner. Leaves only 6 to put the evaporator in using the same end. I really wanted to use the same size tanks for sap transfer. That way I don't have to worry about overflowing a smaller tank. May have to rethink this idea!!
Have a nice day!!!!!!!

mapleman3
10-19-2003, 10:47 AM
I don,t know Al, seems kinda big to be inside taking up precious space, you couldn't put the stand outside next to the shack and gravity feed into your evap through wall?
just my .02 cents :lol: :wink:
I know I'm moving my evap back as much as possible, you will get more visitors this year with that rig, and they(visitors)take up lots of room, and you still need room to work!!!
Jim

michaelh05478
10-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Al, You could put a 55 gal tank in side to feed your evaporator......Thats what i did the first year......it worked great,i had a electric pump in my holding tank and filed the 55 gal drum when i needed sap.....i had a switch inside and just turned it on when i needed to....takes a lot less room in the sugar house..........Brian Clark used a galv wash tubb to feed his 2x4 and he wrapped copper pipe from his tubb around his smoke stack to act like a preheater. It worked great for him........I should have my new rig by the end of the month....almost done the additions........

jmattice
10-20-2003, 06:35 AM
hi mike,
is your new rig going to be oil fired? if so how big of an oil tank are you getting? I'm getting a new 3x8 oil fired hopefully sometime next week.
John

michaelh05478
10-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Hi John, Im going to put in at least 3 - 275 gal tanks....there's a lot of free ones out there.....I want to have 600 gals or so in case we get a good season next spring....Im getting a 3x10 with preheater hood....was getting sick of hauling in water for cleaning....should have plenty now...i may only tap 500/600 but it will give me a little room to expand......good luck with yours next season......

jmattice
10-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Mike,
The preheater sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of getting one for next year. I'll probably be around 500 also, about half of which piped right to the sugarhouse. What kind is the new evaporator?
John

michaelh05478
10-20-2003, 11:00 AM
John, I bought a Algier....My 2x6 was an Algier and i had good luck with it and i hope Mapleman3 has a good run with it........What did you buy??

mapleman3
10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I think next year I will be doing a preheater also, going to get prices on having a fab shop make the hood and I'll build the preheater, Mike I'm sure I'll get a good run of it, staying around 350 taps, that way even if it's a poor season, I'll be happy.

Can't wait to see your rig!! maybe in action!!
Jim

jmattice
10-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Mike,
I bought a Grimm Lightening. My 2x6 was a Grimm also. I had great success with it, but wanted to go bigger. What kind of preheater hood are you getting?
john

Michaelh05478
10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Jim, Your lucky!!!! i was thinking about getting a preheater hood instead of getting as new rig....But the call of a oil fired rig did me in.... :lol: .....I still havent forgotten about the tank.......John, i got my hood from Algier...I bought my rig before they raised the prices..... :D

powerdub
10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey Al, did you buy a drill yet? If you like dewalt, they have them at max tool for 219.00. I know you can get 500 holes (health spuots) out of a battery. FYI.

10-21-2003, 07:08 AM
Morning Powerdub. nope no drill yet. Thanks for the heads up! We don't have a Max tool place up here that I know of. Been looking for prices on the internet so I don't get to much sticker shock. A good drill isn't cheap!!
Raining like cats and dogs up here. Just were is Proctersville Vt? Might have to make a road trip!!!!!!!!
Take care

syrupmaker
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Al.....or anybody else.....hold up before you buy one!My brother in-law works for Dewalt and usually gets recon units at a resonable price.Give him a call at 716-609-2754,tell him you spoke to me and see what deals he can diliver on for ya's. :wink:
Rick

powerdub
10-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Proctorsville is just south of Okemo Mtn. ski area. I am a mile south of the junction of rt. 103 and rt. 131. My sugarhouse is in Ludlow. Max tool is on the web at http://www.maxtool.com Sounds like syrupmaker has the market on power tools though, I just hope his bro has a secretary. 8O

Al
10-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Scott, Ludlow I know. My Aunt and Uncle lived there for years. Now they spend there summers in Mt. Holly and winters in Florida. Do you mind sometime if I get down there if I give you a ring and drop by?

Al
10-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Morning Rick thanks for the offer. What's your brother-in-law's first name?
Don't just want to call and say "hey man your brother-in-law say's your the man!!!!! :lol: :lol: Of course he could be.
Thanks

syrupmaker
10-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Good point Al....Joe Haier,he said any and all will get a deal! Hope he wasn't BS'N me! :oops:

powerdub
10-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Not at all Al. I have been spending most weekends at sugarhouse any way, I love to have visitors and talk maple.