PDA

View Full Version : Delaval 76 to big?

SadSams
10-09-2011, 08:12 AM
We picked up a Delaval 76 with a 3hp motor from an old milker. We ran it and it sucks big time. How many inches of vac were not sure, we didn't have a gauge. The name plate says 34 cfm @like 1200 rpm. We plan on having about 400 taps on vac for 2012 and maybe more in the years to come. I guess the ? is, is their such a thing as to much cfm for a 400 tap bush? Any thoughts will help.

Haynes Forest Products
10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
NO...........having plenty of HGs and CFMs never hurt production. Nice find:)

maplecrest
10-09-2011, 09:34 AM
that pump will work great but dont expect much more than 18 inches mybe 22 on a cooler day.turn the oiler up. under the oil cup is a nut. turn in less oil, turn out for more oil.more oil is better. but will blow out exhast . i had a nieghbor a mile away that said to me once she knew it was sugaring season she could hear that 76 pump

SadSams
10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
i'm glad you mentioned the oiler. The cup that looks stock is only about a pint in size and sits upside down just above and to the side of the pump. Two lines come down, one to each end of the pump. Do these pumps use oil similar to a chain saw? I would think it would use more, but how much more?
Is the oil the same vac oil we use in refrigeration vac pumps?
I know what you mean about how loud this is. We turned it on without the muffler and wow, its enough to wake the dead.

maplecrest
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
the oiler you explained is the one i thalked about. you will fill it every few days. but if it gets hot!! it will drain out in hours. under it is the adjustment i spoke of.you can get the right vac oil at tractor supply. they sell dairy pump vacuum oil. also you can use non detergent 30 wt. oil but will be slow to start motor when cold. one thing you can do it replace the plastic lines with brake lines. and put oiler off to one side so does not get so hot. or get or make a oil reclaimer. that will quiet the monster down.i had to stop using mine when i started running pumps 24/7. too many noise complaints.

SadSams
10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys,your input has been very helpful.

Haynes Forest Products
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
There are other ways to make the pump rock and roll....rip and roar:)

maple flats
10-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Either make a reclaimer or buy one. Most any brand should work, all you need to do is plumb it to the exhaust using black or galv. pipe. A surge reclaimer for 75 cfm pumps holds about 2 gal vac oil, and the exhaust blows up thru it to reclaim most of the oil. I don't need to add during the season. I just fill to the proper level before the season and mine doe not get down enough to need more until preparing for the next season. Put as much oil thru it as you can, that helps vac level and most importantly helps keep the pump cooler. Heat is your enemy in this case. If the pump gets hot enough to sizzle a drop of water, find a way to keep it cooler. For your # of taps, you might also want to get a smaller pulley on the motor. You won't need to turn as fast until you get lots more taps, slower is easier on the pump. Just don't go so small that the belts slip from being too small and too little friction surface. I did that once, mathematically I only needed a 1.5" drive pulley, but it was too hard on belts, I went to 2.25" and now have no problems.
Great find.

nymapleguy607
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I would run a vacuum regulator on the pump. You can find them from Mcmaster for fairly cheap. I use one on my delaval 75 and it helps keep the pump somewhat cooler. I set mine at 21" and leave it there, I have never had the pump get hot enough to sizzle. You might want to run some diesel fuel through to clean out any old oil or varnish that has built up over the years as well.