PDA

View Full Version : Going to build 2x4 arch and would like to see a few

jhd504
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm moving up for the next season from my homemade 2x2 flat pan to a 2x4 WSE set. I am going to build an arch and am wondering if anyone in NE Ohio has one that they wouldn't mind me possibly stopping out to take a look at.

My hang-up on this project is the area under the flue pan. Should it slope from the firebox to the stack or should it be a uniform depth the entire length back? Or does it really matter?

Thanks for any info.

PapaSmiff
10-08-2011, 06:34 AM
JHD504,
I am also starting to build my arch - either a 2x4 or 2x6, depending upon the pan(s) I can find. I'd like to see the replies to your question, and l'm also wondering how deep I should build the back section, to allow for flues.

How deep are the flues on the WSE set? On The Trader, I think I've seen people post that the distance from the bottom of the flues to the bottom of the arch should be and inch or less, if possible. But what is the most commond depth of the flues?

xyz5150
10-08-2011, 07:02 AM
jhd504

My hang-up on this project is the area under the flue pan. Should it slope from the firebox to the stack or should it be a uniform depth the entire length back? Or does it really matter?

Welcome to the Trader John,
You want no more than a inch of space in between the flues and the bottom until your flue section meets the fire box you need a ramp. On a 2x4 i would start my ramp about 6 " back on the flues and drop it 6" to make it a nice 45 deg cut for the angle iron thats just me. Don't make the mistake i made with that set and have a vertical fire box wall the front of the flue pan boiled like mad and after a long boil the coals would build up and block the bottom of the flues. Remember with a wse set and having 6 flues there is a lot of space in between the flues and the fire brick on the sides, i built a false wall under the stack on each wall to force the heat through the flues again i left a 1 inch space on the sides. Keep the questions coming John and post some pics if you can figure it out unlike me.:lol:

jhd504
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
After spending a good amount of time compiling info from the different discussions, I've finally drawn the arch, taking account adding 1" ceramic board along with 1/2-size bricks. I kept a 1" spacing between the bottom of the flues and the brick lining of the arch. The firebox has inside dimensions of around 19"w x 22"d x 22"h. I'm hoping that's about the proper size for this unit.

RileySugarbush
10-12-2011, 10:14 PM
That looks great! My only recommendation is to make the flue section long enough to fit the 2x6 pans you will eventually buy. You can cover the extra with a steel plate until then.

GramaCindy
10-13-2011, 04:53 AM
I have to second Riley's comment. And WOW, looks great!

xyz5150
10-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Looks good john, my only question is the width. 19 inches with 1 in arch board and split bricks would put your top rail at about 23.5 in wide. with 24" pans i made my top rails 25 in wide on the out side of 2" angle iron so i had less pan sitting on a insulated surface. What are your plans for frame material, sheet metal, and forced air ?

jhd504
10-13-2011, 12:52 PM
That's a good point I overlooked about the width. It's no problem to increase the outside width to 25", I had it at 24". I'm planning on using 2" angle iron for the framework.

Once I meet up with my cousin to go over the final plans and start building, we'll decide on the sheet metal to skin it with. He's checking on what he has in the shop. I think he might even have some shiny stuff lying around. :cool: I'm looking at different fans right now. Haven't decided on anything yet, other than wanting at least 125CFM.

Thanks for the comments and the questions.

jhd504
02-15-2012, 08:21 PM
It took awhile, but finally got the idea from the paper to an actual product. Got the arch home this evening, but still need a bit of work to do before I can use it.

Z/MAN
02-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Look'n good but you better hurry.

jhd504
02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Can't believe I got it all together in the last few days. Spent one evening lining the arch with insulation board. Saturday, I was able to get the bricks cut, fitted and cemented in place. This morning, with the help of the wife, got the arch set in place and everything hooked up.

We fired 'er up and before I knew it that thing was rumbling with a huge boil in the flue pan. We boiled off about 70 gallons today. What a huge difference from my previous setup. I went from 3-4 gallons an hour to about 15. I have another 60 gallons I'm going to try and boil off tomorrow. This is my first experience with a divided pan and drawing off. Learning as we go with a lot of help from the people's comments on this site. Thank you.

John