PDA

View Full Version : Flow Meter

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Picked it up today, 3/4 in and out. It will work for me
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/IMG00976.jpg:)

SevenCreeksSap
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Fantastic, another expensive looking piece of sugaring equipment I hadn't seen yet. So enlighten me on this, because I can think of several uses. sap flow into your tank, sap flow into the evap,(same purpose I guess), syrup flow out of evap or canner. the bottom end of a beer funnel. What am I missing?

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
nice unit hope it works well take guess work out

BryanEx
10-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Just wondering... what about freezing it?

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Just wondering... what about freezing it?

You need to make sure it has drained and need to wash it out every nite otherwise the stickyness of the sap will gum up inside and stop fluid from passing through.

3rdgen.maple
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah I got enough stuff to wash every night let alone tear a line apart to clean a flow meter. What ever happened to good old mathmatical calculations. I can do that faster than you could get the first fitting off that thing lol.

Haynes Forest Products
10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Discharge of used Coor Light..............................:rolleyes:

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-08-2011, 05:53 AM
What ever happened to good old mathmatical calculations. (OCD)
by pass valves and discharge 3rrd gen no need to take it apart.

Haynes, don't waste money on that beer, I believe they are anti-gun so I dont at all possible's shop at those businesses. And you of all people live in WI shouldn't even think of another beer with LIENY"S there.

maple connection
10-08-2011, 06:33 AM
I have one of those meters, works great, I drain it at night but, never had to wash it out because of the sticky sap. Works well to meter boughten sap.

xyz5150
10-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Flat Lander Sugaring

Haynes, don't waste money on that beer, I believe they are anti-gun so I dont at all possible's shop at those businesses. And you of all people live in WI shouldn't even think of another beer with LIENY"S there.

He only drinks Coors because the can is shinny plus if he drinks bottle beer where would he get metal for his projects.:lol: Oh sorry mean old moderator off topic I'll behave.

Brent
10-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Discharge of used Coor Light..............................:rolleyes:

at least with this use you won't need to worry much about freezing

SeanD
10-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Flat Lander, where did you get that flow meter and how much did it cost? All of the ones I've seen seem to measure the rate rather than ticking off totals. Does that kind of meter have certain name?

I can do the math, but if the numbers I'm working with are wrong, it doesn't do me any good. My numbers were way off last year so I need something better than my eyeballing method.

Sean

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Flat Lander, where did you get that flow meter and how much did it cost? All of the ones I've seen seem to measure the rate rather than ticking off totals. Does that kind of meter have certain name?

I can do the math, but if the numbers I'm working with are wrong, it doesn't do me any good. My numbers were way off last year so I need something better than my eyeballing method.

Sean

made by Invensys, being an electrician I get around to a lot of towns that have municipal water systems. A lot of them have or are upgrading to units that give off the amount to a black pad outside the house. All the meter reader does is swipe his hand held unit across face and it picks u all the info. This type is kinda outdated. Go talk to a DPW worker see if they have any they have replaced maybe offer them scrap price for it.
http://www.jerman.com/dljmeter.html

http://www.watermeters.com/?gclid=CKiNhJ-62qsCFUqK4AodHAyFOA

DrTimPerkins
10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
These units work well (we use them in research) as long as you
1. Install them correctly (have at least a foot of straight pipe at the inlet and outlet)
2. Rinse them at the end of each use
3. Don't let them freeze with liquid in them.

unclebuck
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Can these units be mounted horizontal as well as vertical?

DrTimPerkins
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Can these units be mounted horizontal as well as vertical?

Yes, but better if sap runs UP through them ( in terms of reading correctly)