PDA

View Full Version : Casters

xyz5150
10-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Rebuilding my arch for a new pan configuration i am planning on putting it on casters this time so i can push it off to the side of my sugar house for the off season. I would like to use 6 swivel casters with a single bolt setup so i can adjust for level. any ideas on weight capacity,wheel type, where to buy. Any idea on the rough weight of a 2x6.5 fully bricked and full of sap?

jasonl6
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Don't forget to figure 8lbs for every gallon of sap you put in that thing. It will add up quick.

Jason

BryanEx
10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
any ideas on weight capacity,wheel type, where to buy.
You are US based so for the where to buy part I recommend Grangers;

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/casters-and-wheels/material-handling/ecatalog/N-cnm

As far as weight goes I remember an estimate from one manufacturer quoting approximately 1000 lb for fully bricked 2x4.

- Bryan

Sako
10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Check out the photos in the original post of the arch I built in the homemade maple equipment(2saps the new the bad the ugly). If you are interested the jack stands worked out great for me and I can probably get you some of these pretty cheap.
Chris

mike z
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Also check McMaster-Carr.

PeddlerLakeSapper
10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
We put casters on ours for the same reason. Our casters are on a 1" shaft. Just jack up the end and they drop out for the season.

xyz5150
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys, i gave up on the caster idea too much work just to move it 4 ft. I went back to just using 6 5/8 carriage bolts for leveling legs. I could jack it up and put some type of a dolly under it if i wanted but i doubt that will happen. To me leveling easily was more important than moving it. Mcmaster-carr has some leveling casters for machinery cool little casters but not at $199.00 ea. I was going to build something similar to it but i could see that turning into a big project. Some times i have stop and remind myself that i am only building a arch not a watch.:lol: