PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum setup help.

schellmaple
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I came across a Welch 1402 vacuum pump and was needing some help with getting things setup. Last year I had about 100 taps on a gravity system. The holding tank is about 1500' from where my evaporator is located. I pumped everything into barrels and hauled to the evaporator. I am adding another 50 taps to the same main line this year. I would say I have approx. 30-40 feet of drop from the evaporator to my holding tank. The question is should I set up the vacuum at the holding tank or is there a easy way to bring the sap to the evaporator? I have power at the evaporator to run the pumps. If I put the pumps at the holding tank I will need to run a wire approx. 1500'. I plan on using a beer keg for a releaser. Any help would be appreciated.

10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Is that release that rosselsurgar camp posted cause you will need to keep the Pump somewhere it won't freeze and bust plus if you have a strong enough pump you will be able to pump it up to the evaporator cause trying to raise sap 30 or 40 feet with sap ladders would be pretty tough

schellmaple
10-03-2011, 08:25 PM
On the releaser, the Rosselsurgar releaser is what I had in mind. Building something around it and putting a heat lamp in it would not be out of question. I was wondering also if I need a check valve on this where the pump connects to the releaser?

10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
No because you want the pump to stay primed also you should check the specs on your vac pump and make sure it has enough umph

schellmaple
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about the amount of umph. The vacuum pump will pump 5 CFM from what I have found on line.

10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
But what you are really interested in how many inches it will pull cause the higher the inches the lower cfm but you want high inches I know my engrish isn't the best :rolleyes:

schellmaple
10-03-2011, 09:01 PM
When attaching the vacuum pump to a gauge in the garage it will hold around 24HG. I know this is best case scenario.

schellmaple
10-16-2011, 06:16 PM
With my holding tank 1500' away from any power supply could I put my vacuum pump on the uphill side of my taps and main line? I was also wondering if I could put like a 12 volt pump at the releaser and pump it to the holding tank? Any help on this would be appreciated.

10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Deleted forgot something in first post

220 maple
10-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Shellmaple,
My first cousin lives in a housing development very near Southern High, he has over one hundred possible taps on his lot and the adjacent lot which he owns, He may put vacuum on them. I think he will put vacuum on his in laws trees in Preston County, he was planning on getting one of the tubing installers that works for Henry to look at his trees and make suggestions. The tubing installer is a nephew of Henry's and lives at Red House. Young kid named Jeremey. He worked on the tubing system in Highland County ,Virginia that produced over half a gallon of syrup per tap hole last Spring. If your buying tubing or releasers it will be worth every penny you spend to get professional advice. Before I installed a tubing system on my neighbors land I had Henry look the woods over and make suggestions. I am not saying there is not good info on this messageboard, because there is, im only suggesting to get someone who builds these high Vac. systems to look at your woods

Mark 220 Maple