PDA

View Full Version : Bricking new evaporator

Round Mtn Mapler
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Im sure this has been covered....
But im looking for great instructions and lotsa pictures bricking a 2x5 mason evaporator.
The evaporator is brand new it did not come with great instructions or any pics...

MapleME
10-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I have some shots in my blog in my signature of it half bricked. Mine is a 2x6 but same things just fewer bricks.

Do it while its still warm out, get your refractory cement...and you will need something to cut the bricks too...circular saw with blade for bricks is best. and Im sure Bill told you, just use half thickness bricks.

Start by dry fitting them and seeing what arrangement allows you to cut the fewest bricks. and once you have that idea, start cutting them as you go and cementing them in. I started with the floor and then did the sides, and at the end got creative with the back and around the door. They take the longest because you have so many cuts with small brick pieces. Take your time and just get it all covered in brick and you will be good to go.

Im in Brunswick, your welcome to come look at mine anytime.

GramaCindy
10-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Im sure this has been covered....
But im looking for great instructions and lotsa pictures bricking a 2x5 mason evaporator.
The evaporator is brand new it did not come with great instructions or any pics...

Round Mtn, if you look on WF Mason's website, he has a tab on how to brick a mason. Those pics are mine. I am a 51 yr. old woman that has never tiled a thing, it was quite simple. I just rented a wet tubsaw. The most important thing, cheap for the weekend too. I just started at the bottom with full sized half bricks and worked my way up. I will say that I was running low on bricks (I think I bought 80) for the bottom of the back so I used several patio blocks to bring the level up closer to the back of the pan, I then covered them with firebrick. I will be adding another layer to get it closer to the bottom of the back part of the pan. I am also contemplating adding some insulation board, as the sides got quite hot, and I would rather have that heat going up not out! I didn't cement the bricks in last year, as we were going to build a sugar shack and would have to move the evaporator.http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/instructionsbricking.html

Round Mtn Mapler
10-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
Yes he also did tell me to do the bricking while its still warm out...

SapZilla
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Round Mtn, if you look on WF Mason's website, he has a tab on how to brick a mason. Those pics are mine. I am a 51 yr. old woman that has never tiled a thing, it was quite simple. I just rented a wet tubsaw. The most important thing, cheap for the weekend too. I just started at the bottom with full sized half bricks and worked my way up. I will say that I was running low on bricks (I think I bought 80) for the bottom of the back so I used several patio blocks to bring the level up closer to the back of the pan, I then covered them with firebrick. I will be adding another layer to get it closer to the bottom of the back part of the pan. I am also contemplating adding some insulation board, as the sides got quite hot, and I would rather have that heat going up not out! I didn't cement the bricks in last year, as we were going to build a sugar shack and would have to move the evaporator.http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/instructionsbricking.html

Cindy, you might find that by plastering the bricks in you will retain a little more heat too.

justlookingon
10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I had a 2x3 Mason evaporator. I used full bricks for the bottom and then put 1/2 bricks along the walls. I laid one row of 1/2 bricks vertically and the other horizontally-this brings them within 1/2 of the top of the arch so you don't have to cut any narrow pieces of brick for the walls.

Just got my new 2x4 and haven't started bricking it up yet! I'm sure it will be much different than the 2x3 as it has the "step up" in it!