PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

Jay
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Didnt know where to post this so here it goes. Was talking to a local producer up my way about a bunch of stuff, have any of you guys ever hear of or have food insurance? He was saying I think it was last year he had a insurance guy over because he wanted to insure his new sap house along with all the contents and the insurance guy was trying to sell him what he called food insurance. I had never heard of it and since he does not have internet access I told him I would try to find out. Thanks,Jay

maplehound
02-22-2006, 06:46 PM
It is probably product liability Insurance. I have looked into it and found it very expensive if you are also insuring the stores you put it in. I do carry a liability policy added to my home owners to cover my land owners and my sugar house. The agent tells me it also covers my product but just on my end of it and not if I get to big.
Ron

brookledge
02-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I too have ins. that covers product liability And I also belive that it is only for farming not for comerceralization.
Mine is called a farmowners policy instead of homeowners.
I do not know if there would be the need to have food insurance if you were serving(selling)food for money like breakfast.
There would certainly be more liability if you are serving food like eggs that may not be fully cooked then to have a problem with your syrup.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
I carry product liability and for $ 3,000 in sales each year, it runs me $ 30+ per year. I have a farm policy thru Farm Family who is a big insurer up north at least in NY. I have 1 million in liability which covers my house, my sugarhouse which is almost 30 miles away, tractor, maple equipment and also covers hired or free help and a little livestock. Most of these are additional options, but cost very little. If someone would get hurt anywhere or a customer, I am covered. Being an adjustor for years, better safe than sorry at least in WV. :(

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-22-2006, 09:54 PM
post edited