PDA

View Full Version : OLd kettle set up

Brent
10-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Yesterday I tripped off up north and came back with 24" diam cast iron sugar kettle pot with a solid steel hanger loop.:) I want to set it up beside the sugar shack and boil on it on the weekends when we get most visitors.

I can't find many pictures of how to they were set up on a tripod or beam.
I'd love some pictures if anyone has any.

Next question is how do you clean this before you start boiling ?

10-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I saw a video on youtube were that was what the guy was using and before using it I would go over it with a wire brush then wipe it down with olive oil and set it over the fire without anything in it and just let it cook on there just like seasoning any other cast iron cook ware just don't wash it with dish soap.

Brent
10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
thanks for the youtube idea. I found one that shows a horizontal log with
3 kettles, explaining how to laddle from one two the other, like on barrel / steamer pans.

but the search tool on youtube is the bits. It kept wanting to lead me to a 18 year old girl liking a plate that supposedly had maple syrup on it.

the search continues.

KenWP
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Every other place along the road here has one of those pots hanging in the yard. All seem to be on a tripod. The one place has one probbably 3 or 4 foot even tipped on it,s side with stupid plants in it.

Brent
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
While brousing today to try to find pictures I found a site that actually makes / has new ones for sale. The size I got retails for $1000. new.

They have some much larger ones up to $3500. Who'd have thunk it.
New ! Today ! Cast Iron Kettles !

maple2
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
those cast iron kettles were originaly used for making lye from potash in the late 1700"s