PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Rage Miter Saw for cutting steel

xyz5150
09-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Anyone have one of these? I am rebuilding my arch for my new set of pans. when i originally built my arch i made the back of the fire box vertical with no ramp to avoid a miter cut. Now after running my arch and having the coals block the flues on the flue pan i know the importance of a ramp. I have always wanted a good band saw for my shop, but a good band saw takes up floor space and i just thought a miter saw would work for the little bit that i would use it.

Sako
09-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Have used these at work but the Milwaukee tool brand.
We built a machine with two, one mounted at each end of bed spinning a pipe and cutting one end, then the other without moving the pipe(5in diameter x 1/4 in wall). When two of us were running the machine first guy would start cutting, around the pipe twice, second guy would start cutting(we were fast)
For the Milwaukee saws they were nice, very powerful, but with any tool the blade is also a major choice, get the right tooth count for what you are cutting.
We now have one of these next to our bandsaw, works great, nice cuts. If I didn't already own the Milwaukee Bandsaw I would buy that machine.
Chris

xyz5150
09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE]Sako

Have used these at work but the Milwaukee tool brand.
We built a machine with two, one mounted at each end of bed spinning a pipe and cutting one end, then the other without moving the pipe(5in diameter x 1/4 in wall). When two of us were running the machine first guy would start cutting, around the pipe twice, second guy would start cutting(we were fast)
For the Milwaukee saws they were nice, very powerful, but with any tool the blade is also a major choice, get the right tooth count for what you are cutting.
We now have one of these next to our bandsaw, works great, nice cuts. If I didn't already own the Milwaukee Bandsaw I would buy that machine.
Chris [/QUOTE

Milwaukee makes one ? the only thing i found to cut a miter was the rage brand, i looked on Milwaukee's web site and the only miter saw they had was for wood. Do you know the model number ? i would much rather have a brand that i know. We are talking about a miter saw not a chop saw right.

Sako
09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
You have my wheels turning now, I think the vice on the base is adjustable. We pulled the saws of the bases for the machine we built, and the one we use now is always set at 90 or at least I do not use for anything but 90.

Model # 6190-20 Dry cut 14in

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/metalworking-and-grinders/cutoff-machines
Hope that helps
Chris

Haynes Forest Products
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
I use my Dewalt 18 volt cordless circ saw to cut small angle and conduit. The cheap blades will last longer than you think. I even cut 1/2-3/4 black pipe...:o Nice smooth even cut .BUT man the tiny shards if metal are a bitch in the socks

xyz5150
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Haynes Forest Products

I use my Dewalt 18 volt cordless circ saw to cut small angle and conduit. The cheap blades will last longer than you think. I even cut 1/2-3/4 black pipe... Nice smooth even cut .BUT man the tiny shards if metal are a bitch in the socks

Yea that would work but i was looking for a little more accuracy. If i wanted to Git-r-done i would just torch it and fill it in with bondo.:lol:

Sako
10-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Xyz5150,
Is that what you were looking for?

xyz5150
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Sako

Xyz5150,
Is that what you were looking for?

No, i already have a chop saw, Thanks now i have my wheels spinning on how to take my chop saw and make the head rotate left and right to miter cut much like my chain grinder does to sharpen chains. I cant believe only one company makes anything like that or at least that anyone could afford. I may have to brake down and finally buy a good band saw.:( I would hate to spend the money on a miter saw than with my luck ruin it cutting steel. Or buy a new chop saw after i turn it into a science project that takes all winter to complete.

Sako
10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
xyz5150
Now you have me thinking, on the Milwaukee chop the saw did not seem much different than the abrasive chop model, wondering if the wood models are close enough in durability, motor specs, etc. Also I have cut a lot of 3/16 Alum diamond plate with a skilsaw and carbide blade with out any trouble(realizing steel is different but with the new carbide blades for cutting metal) I wonder how long a wood miter saw would last with a good blade. I have a 14in miter saw here at home, I am going to bring a blade home from work and giver a try.
Thanks for the idea.
I am wondering if you were looking for the compound miter version, if not, why would the Milwaukee not work for you if the vise has adjustable angle? Just curious and trying to help.
Chris

xyz5150
10-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Sako

xyz5150
Now you have me thinking, on the Milwaukee chop the saw did not seem much different than the abrasive chop model, wondering if the wood models are close enough in durability, motor specs, etc. Also I have cut a lot of 3/16 Alum diamond plate with a skilsaw and carbide blade with out any trouble(realizing steel is different but with the new carbide blades for cutting metal) I wonder how long a wood miter saw would last with a good blade. I have a 14in miter saw here at home, I am going to bring a blade home from work and giver a try.
Thanks for the idea.
I am wondering if you were looking for the compound miter version, if not, why would the Milwaukee not work for you if the vise has adjustable angle? Just curious and trying to help.
Chris

Thanks for the help Chris, First of all my wood working experience consists of cutting wood into pieces and throwing it into a wood stove.:lol: If its not made out of some kind of metal i don't deal with it so I guess i'm talking about a compound miter saw. I could use my chop saw to make the cuts i need but it would be a whole lot easier to just take a angle gauge figure my angle set a saw up with some accuracy and make a cut. My chop saw has i think 3 different degree settings to chose from and a lot of error in between. I guess scrap prices are high so i could just do the trial and error method until i get what i like. Oh back to woodworking the best tool i have for that is my checkbook.:lol: